Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 07:11 AM

12 posts, read 20,150 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I are going to move in Providence with our little boy (who will be 1 year old at this time) this summer. I'll work near Brown University.

We were advised not to find a place in East Side Providence since we would need a 2 or 3 BR appartment to rent, it's seems to be very expensive.

Would you have any suggestion or preferences between Cranston and Warwick?
On the one hand, we would like not to take our car (we guess it's difficult to find places to park in the city...) each time we want to go out (restaurant, walking around...).
But, on the other hand, we would like to have the possibility to go out with our son not using the car and go to a park (Roger Williams Park?) or the Ocean easily walking...
So, I thought maybe looking something in the South of Warwick, near the Ocean? But I read a topic about the humidity...?

To conclude, what areas would you suggest with these criterias:
-30 years old parents with a 1 year old child,
-work near Brown University, so need a car
-need a daycare center not far from our place or our work (don't know yet where my husband will work, since he'll have to ask for an EAD authorization as we arrive)
-nice area but not too calm, not far from a park/the Ocean/a place to go very often with our kid

Thank you for your help and looking forward to moving in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 07:23 AM

8,032 posts, read 4,696,584 times
Explore Rhode Island! Since you don't require a good public school, you can live anywhere your heart and budget desire. The variety of option is so great, it's difficult to point you in any particular direction. If you prioritize the ocean, go there. Plenty of parks in RI. Warwick is fine and much of it borders the bay if you don't mind at least a 30-40 minute commute to Brown. You'll have a good time looking.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:01 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
If work is at Brown, I'd suggest looking at the east bay area; Bristol, Warren, Maybe Rumford or Riverside sections of East Providence. These will give you pleasant towns and commutes without a lot of heavy freeway traffic.

If you don't mind freeway driving and coming through the downtown area to get to Brown try: Cranston, specifically Dean Estates and Garden City areas- lots of apt complexes around there. There's also the Elmhurst section of Providence around Providence College.

In Warwick, I'd suggest around Pawtuxet Village to avoid heavy traffic.

You can't completely escape humidity in RI- we have a moderate coastal climate. Summers will at times be hot and humid but the high heat doesn't last much more than a month or so.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:56 AM

Thank you to you two for your help!

Actually, Hollytree, since we live in the South of France, we are used to high (sometimes, really high!) temperatures...but it's really dry too...that's why we are more concerned by the humidity...

Independent man, 40 min would be the most to drive I think, we would prefer 20/30 min max...
We've been told about Cranston and Pawtucket in Warwick, but not about the east side areas, I am going to look at it!

Are there some areas to avoid?
Are there some points we have to pay attention to when looking for a place (appartment or house) to rent?

We'll also have to buy a car, not specially a new one, would you have some reliable places to indicate?

So many questions for such a big change!

Old 04-03-2014, 10:17 AM

Hollytree, Bristol and Warren seem much far from Brown than Warwick, but you said that it's easier to reach, with less traffic? I hate traffic jams (we live in a really small city here...) so I take all advices to avoid it!!

Old 04-03-2014, 11:18 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
One of the reasons that the east side of Providence is desirable is that it is so close to Brown University and many get by without cars at all. If you locate in the southern part of the state you will very likely run into seasonal vacation rentals that can be as much as several thousand a week in the summer.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poucette View Post
Thank you to you two for your help!

Actually, Hollytree, since we live in the South of France, we are used to high (sometimes, really high!) temperatures...but it's really dry too...that's why we are more concerned by the humidity...

Independent man, 40 min would be the most to drive I think, we would prefer 20/30 min max...
We've been told about Cranston and Pawtucket in Warwick, but not about the east side areas, I am going to look at it!

Are there some areas to avoid?
Are there some points we have to pay attention to when looking for a place (appartment or house) to rent?

We'll also have to buy a car, not specially a new one, would you have some reliable places to indicate?

So many questions for such a big change!
You've probably been told about the Pawtuxet area of Cranston/Warwick, not Pawtucket. You'll get used to these Indian names. Pawtuxet Village is very special. It straddles the Cranston/Warwick town line. it's charming, with small shops and restaurants near and on the water. The commute would be less than 30 minutes.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:21 PM

Oh ok, sorry for this mistake Thank you for the information! As for Pawtuxet village in Warwick, we are little bit concerned about the airport not far...

Thank you very much to you two, I thus will look for these areas...it will depend on the daycare centers I'll find too...

Old 04-03-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poucette View Post
Oh ok, sorry for this mistake Thank you for the information! As for Pawtuxet village in Warwick, we are little bit concerned about the airport not far...

Thank you very much to you two, I thus will look for these areas...it will depend on the daycare centers I'll find too...
I have never heard friends who live in Pawtuxet complain about the plane noise. Other areas of Warwick, yes, Pawtuxet, no. Check it out.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:55 PM

Ok, so there are some areas in Warwick we have to avoid concerning airplanes...

I sent today emails for information to some daycares in Cranston, Warwick...but learning to Hollytree, i'll do the same for daycares on the East side...Since we won't lookf for a place to rent before we arrive this summer, I guess the place will depend on the daycare we would have found...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island