Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 09:27 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times

Advertisements

If you're going to work at RIH, Elmhurst (west part of Providence) has some truly wonderful 2 bedroom apts in 2 family homes. It is a great neighborhood for a single woman and, just in case the car breaks down, the bus along Smith St out of downtown Providence is quite reliable. There are several comments about the streets included in Elmhurst in other threads.

The commute would be relatively short even during rush hours but at off-times would be pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 09:31 PM

4 posts, read 15,815 times
Thanks NY Annie!

Old 05-01-2014, 10:50 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,180,198 times
Be careful with Elmhurst because it can change block by block. Stay west of Huxley Avenue; to the east is affectionately known as the student slum. Other than that it is a very nice area.

And American Wire is neither "on the Central Falls line" nor in an unsafe area. It's in Darlington, which is a safe, middle class neighborhood. It's a two block walk to the supermarket and a half-mile from a bus directly serving RIH and, beginning in June, the airport and the South Attleboro MBTA station.

I also have to recommend my neighborhood, Oak Hill in Pawtucket, although you won't find brand new lofts (Elmhurst either, for that matter). If you're OK with a 2-3 bedroom apartment in a two family house, rent is around $1-1.2k, it's on the same aforementioned bus line, and borders the East Side of Providence. Very quiet, but easy access to restaurants and shopping.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:05 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
You could also look in Riverside or Rumford, East Providence, downtown Providence, etc. Many options for safe neighborhoods only 10-15 minutes away.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:55 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
Be careful with Elmhurst because it can change block by block. Stay west of Huxley Avenue; to the east is affectionately known as the student slum. Other than that it is a very nice area.

And American Wire is neither "on the Central Falls line" nor in an unsafe area. It's in Darlington, which is a safe, middle class neighborhood. It's a two block walk to the supermarket and a half-mile from a bus directly serving RIH and, beginning in June, the airport and the South Attleboro MBTA station.

I also have to recommend my neighborhood, Oak Hill in Pawtucket, although you won't find brand new lofts (Elmhurst either, for that matter). If you're OK with a 2-3 bedroom apartment in a two family house, rent is around $1-1.2k, it's on the same aforementioned bus line, and borders the East Side of Providence. Very quiet, but easy access to restaurants and shopping.

You are correct, and I stand corrected on a prior post. I was thinking of the other large mill that was turned into apartments and condos where the Collette Travel Agency has their offices. That is on the Pawtucket/Central Falls line, and at the very end of Central Av.

I would, however, say it is on the "fringe" of Darlington, along the railroad tracks which were mainly there for all the industrial buildings along York Ave. and so forth. It's a so so area, but Darlington is definitely not the area it used to be; only a few pocket area like the other end of Central Av. towards Seekonk is still reasonably desireable. Benefit St. in Pawtucket is another fringe area of Darlington. Armistice Blvd. is pretty shabby now too. Too bad it's gone downhill; kids who were brought up in Darlington didn't seem to stay there after college, they moved to better areas and when their folks sold their home places, different elements bought them up in the early 80's for cheap prices, including the multi units which investors bought and brought in some rough tenants.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:47 PM

23,554 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
You are correct, and I stand corrected on a prior post. I was thinking of the other large mill that was turned into apartments and condos where the Collette Travel Agency has their offices. That is on the Pawtucket/Central Falls line, and at the very end of Central Av.

I would, however, say it is on the "fringe" of Darlington, along the railroad tracks which were mainly there for all the industrial buildings along York Ave. and so forth. It's a so so area, but Darlington is definitely not the area it used to be; only a few pocket area like the other end of Central Av. towards Seekonk is still reasonably desireable. Benefit St. in Pawtucket is another fringe area of Darlington. Armistice Blvd. is pretty shabby now too. Too bad it's gone downhill; kids who were brought up in Darlington didn't seem to stay there after college, they moved to better areas and when their folks sold their home places, different elements bought them up in the early 80's for cheap prices, including the multi units which investors bought and brought in some rough tenants.
I couldn't believe the last time I drove down Armistice Blvd (and nearby sections of Newport, Cottage St. etc.). So sad...

Old 05-01-2014, 05:09 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I couldn't believe the last time I drove down Armistice Blvd (and nearby sections of Newport, Cottage St. etc.). So sad...
Very sad. I have an Aunt who still lives on York Ave. in a multi-family house that she owns. She is now 93, sharp as a tack, but needs her caretaker thank goodness who lives on the 1st floor. She lives in fear in a house she has owned for about 60 years. Once she has passed on, that place will be sold probably very quickly because it is in mint condition. The family has begged her to sell it for years, she has poured more money into upkeep than the house will ever be worth. Guaranteed it will be rundown within a few years after it's sold. Sad indeed, she was so "conditioned" as the area deteriorated around her, she wouldn't admit she should have left a long time ago.

Last edited by QuilterChick; 05-01-2014 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-03-2014, 08:45 AM

26 posts, read 39,598 times
My son lives in the apts on parkview drive by slater park in pawtucket. The apartments are older. But have lots of storage and they did re carpet and give him new fridge. They have a retiree gang who is helpful and friendly to newcomers....nice quiet pool ( I visited for a week, and if you work shifts, daytime at the pool is lovely). The adjacent park is great. Feels safe, although I have no stats.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:32 AM

8,058 posts, read 4,684,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srewolf View Post
My son lives in the apts on parkview drive by slater park in pawtucket. The apartments are older. But have lots of storage and they did re carpet and give him new fridge. They have a retiree gang who is helpful and friendly to newcomers....nice quiet pool ( I visited for a week, and if you work shifts, daytime at the pool is lovely). The adjacent park is great. Feels safe, although I have no stats.
The area surrounding Slater Park is quite nice. The nearby Countryside neighborhood of Pawtucket is a hidden gem. It reminds me of the East Side of Providence, but without the traffic.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,438 times
Default American Wire Apartments and Loft

I am a current resident of these units.

First to the person that commented that many people have lived their a long time, sorry the place only started renting in March of 2014, so no one has been there for the more than the term of their lease agreement.

Also as a resident, I would never recommend to anyone to live or rent in this building. In fact, I tell people the truth, do not even consider this as a possible location. This has been to most frustrating and disappointing dwelling I have resided in. Prior to renting a unit from Brady Sullivan, I rented a great place for 4 years at the Rumford Center. That is a place I would highly recommend. But only reason for moving was to have a pet. The building I was in at the Rumford Center, was pet free.

The American Wire building and management staff is the worst possible example of places to rent from. Whenever a issue is brought up to property management, regardless of the issue, the responses is always the same; "I need to check with corporate". The neighborhood is terrible, the roads in out of the area are worst. Parking is a joke, and they are extremely poorly built, and maintenance is nonexistent.

There are many great places to live in the Providence RI area, but this is not one of them!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island