Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 04:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,441 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to RI and will be working at Memorial Hospital. any recommendations for safe areas and apts. a close drive to the hospital would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 04:58 PM

23,119 posts, read 18,270,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H Greysen View Post
I am relocating to RI and will be working at Memorial Hospital. any recommendations for safe areas and apts. a close drive to the hospital would be appreciated.
If you must move to Pawtucket, stay east of Newport Ave (Darlington area). Otherwise, I'd recommend the Rumford area of East Providence, Seekonk (few apartments), or maybe Cumberland (but stay away from Valley Falls and much of the Mendon Rd. area).

Old 03-16-2015, 08:30 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,429,396 times
Quote:

You may get more replies if you put your topic in a new thread relative to your work location of Pawtucket Memorial Hospital. Most of us native posters on here would not recommend anywhere in Pawtucket. We also don't know if you are male or female, and what your frame of reference is based on where you are relocating from. It makes a difference. Pawtucket over the past several years has been problematic with crime and continues to go downhill.

Depending on your housing budget, Rumford (an area in East Providence) has some nice apartment buildings. Seekonk MA is adjacent to Rumford and parts of East Providence might work. If you need to be close to the hospital as a physician or on emergency call etc., I would check with your HR Dept. at the hospital for suggestions also as to where other employees live. Cumberland anywhere north of Rt. 295 would be ideal, as well as its neighboring town of Lincoln which also has very nice apartments and condo rentals. Over the MA border to the north of Pawtucket, you could look near Attleboro, North Attleboro as well. All of the above are easy drives to Pawt. Memorial unless you have to be there on the spot.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:46 AM

3,590 posts, read 2,602,386 times
Quote:
I have known two people who lived in the Oak Hill neighborhood of Pawtucket, one an owner occupant, and one a renter. Both were happy there before employment took them out of state. My friend who was renting left a few months ago, so it is a recent data point. And if it helps you in any way, both parties I write of hold advanced degrees (Ph. D.)

An advantage of Oak Hill is its proximity to the East Side of Providence, with its restaurants, bakeries, shopping, bookstores, etc.

Last edited by ormari; 03-16-2015 at 09:11 AM..

Old 03-17-2015, 11:19 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,156,583 times
I've lived in Oak Hill from 1984-96 and 2008-present. It's the East Side of Providence with larger lots, lower taxes, lower prices, and no undergrads. We have shops and restaurants in the neighborhood (but no supermarket in walking distance), and a bus with a one-seat ride to the airport and commuter rail to Boston. It's also less than a mile and a half from Memorial Hospital. I highly recommend it if you're looking for a quiet single- to two-family environment.

If you prefer lofts, you can look at Slater Cotton Mill or Riverfront Lofts in downtown Pawtucket.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:20 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,156,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Most of us native posters on here would not recommend anywhere in Pawtucket... Pawtucket over the past several years has been problematic with crime and continues to go downhill.
You don't speak for "most" posters here. Try living in Pawtucket for several years before commenting on its alleged problems.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:07 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,429,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
You don't speak for "most" posters here. Try living in Pawtucket for several years before commenting on its alleged problems.

Born and brought up in Pawtucket; went to school in Pawtucket; owned properties in Pawtucket. Was a Realtor oer 20 years, sold many homes in Pawtucket and all over RI. Luckily sold them all that we owned in the boom of the '80's.

Parents and grandparents similar, aunts & uncles, born and brought up, worked in, owned property, etc.

When it was a nice safe family oriented area.

What else would you like to know about Pawtucket?

Old 03-17-2015, 02:11 PM

335 posts, read 935,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
I have known two people who lived in the Oak Hill neighborhood of Pawtucket, one an owner occupant, and one a renter. Both were happy there before employment took them out of state. My friend who was renting left a few months ago, so it is a recent data point. And if it helps you in any way, both parties I write of hold advanced degrees (Ph. D.)

An advantage of Oak Hill is its proximity to the East Side of Providence, with its restaurants, bakeries, shopping, bookstores, etc
Yep, that's why I have a redfin alert set up for Oak Hill.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:36 PM

3,590 posts, read 2,602,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
What else would you like to know about Pawtucket?
I will admit there is one thing about Pawtucket that I think you are uniquely qualified to answer: when did you last step foot in Pawtucket?

Old 03-17-2015, 03:40 PM

23,119 posts, read 18,270,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
I will admit there is one thing about Pawtucket that I think you are uniquely qualified to answer: when did you last step foot in Pawtucket?
Can't speak for QC, but for myself much too recently. I wouldn't go anywhere west of Newport Ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island