Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 02:50 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times

Advertisements

If I had to move back to the state, I would live in Oak Hill.. any place within walking distance of Modern Diner, please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 02:55 PM

3,779 posts, read 2,683,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Can't speak for QC, but for myself much too recently. I wouldn't go anywhere west of Newport Ave.
The question was not directed at you because, to my knowledge, you have never established any credentials with regard to Pawtucket the way QuilterChick did. But I do find it fascinating that you would not go anywhere west of Newport Avenue. Your answer was rather vague; is this some sort of boycott on your part? And while you are offering your own real world expertise, would you care to quantify what "too recently" means in your unique worldview so that we may have some sort of baseline for you?

Old 03-17-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
If I had to move back to the state, I would live in Oak Hill.. any place within walking distance of Modern Diner, please
That's pretty sensible; lots of people seek out the Modern Diner. Doherty's East Ave is nearby too for craft beer aficionados. Oak Hill has a good property tax rate with respect to Providence. I think one would be pretty reliant upon a car there, for what that is worth. I personally prefer Providence but Oak Hill is a very reasonable alternative, and not unsafe from my perspective. The posts from those who claim otherwise leave me to wonder if they live in gated communities.

Last edited by ormari; 03-17-2015 at 03:20 PM..

Old 03-17-2015, 03:20 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
The question was not directed at you because, to my knowledge, you have never established any credentials with regard to Pawtucket the way QuilterChick did. But I do find it fascinating that you would not go anywhere west of Newport Avenue. Your answer was rather vague; is this some sort of boycott on your part? And while you are offering your own real world expertise, would you care to quantify what "too recently" means in your unique worldview so that we may have some sort of baseline for you?
If you care to read from when this thread was revived, you will see that I was one of the first to respond (and that I gave what most would consider fairly sound advice as to the (new) OP's question). I think I was pretty clear. Is it vague? Maybe. But I'm not going to sit here and give a detailed analysis of Pawtucket block by block (can think of a thousand better things to do right now). I think Newport Ave. serves as a fairly reliable dividing line. It used to be OK for much of Darlington west of Newport, but that's unfortunately not the case any longer. And no, I see no reason to provide you a baseline since you (at least appear) to be seeking confrontation.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
If you care to read from when this thread was revived, you will see that I was one of the first to respond (and that I gave what most would consider fairly sound advice as to the (new) OP's question). I think I was pretty clear. Is it vague? Maybe. But I'm not going to sit here and give a detailed analysis of Pawtucket block by block (can think of a thousand better things to do right now). I think Newport Ave. serves as a fairly reliable dividing line. It used to be OK for much of Darlington west of Newport, but that's unfortunately not the case any longer. And no, I see no reason to provide you a baseline since you (at least appear) to be seeking confrontation.
I am not seeking confrontation. I am seeking a neutral, honest discussion.

I read your posts stating that you would stay out of Pawtucket, and that if you were "forced to be" in Pawtucket you would stay East of Newport Ave. I happen to think this statement is a little narrow and would like you to provide some backup for it, instead of a sniper shot from Florida.

I am seeking factual, real world, on-the-ground experience about Oak Hill, which all of my recent experience during the last 13 years indicates is a safe neighborhood that happens to be East of Newport Avenue in Pawtucket. If you in fact are qualified, by having real world, recent experience, I think we would all like to read what you have to say on the matter.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:41 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
Quote:
That's pretty sensible; lots of people seek out the Modern Diner. Doherty's East Ave is nearby too for craft beer aficionados. Oak Hill has a good property tax rate with respect to Providence. I think one would be pretty reliant upon a car there, for what that is worth. I personally prefer Providence but Oak Hill is a very reasonable alternative, and not unsafe from my perspective. The posts from those who claim otherwise leave me to wonder if they live in gated communities.
I've been to Doherty's.. I like it

With Oak Hill, you get the benefit of lower taxes while being a hop skip and a jump from the East Side.

But don't worry, until it stops snowing (ever, not just for the year), and get rid of income taxes like my current state, I'll not abide there again

Old 03-17-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
I am seeking factual, real world, on-the-ground experience about Oak Hill, which all of my recent experience during the last 13 years indicates is a safe neighborhood that happens to be East of Newport Avenue in Pawtucket. If you in fact are qualified, by having real world, recent experience, I think we would all like to read what you have to say on the matter.
Is the fact that it's merely blocks from the hood not a deterrence, particularly for one coming from outside the area (not knowing if a male or a female)?

Old 03-17-2015, 03:44 PM

Can you answer the question, or not?

Old 03-17-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I've been to Doherty's.. I like it

With Oak Hill, you get the benefit of lower taxes while being a hop skip and a jump from the East Side.

But don't worry, until it stops snowing (ever, not just for the year), and get rid of income taxes like my current state, I'll not abide there again
Right. The taxes are lower in Pawtucket than Providence. More's the pity that you have left for NV as your posts mark you as someone who would be a good citizen in Rhode Island.

The desert would not be my choice, but I can certainly understand why someone might choose to live elsewhere because of the winter weather.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Can you answer the question, or not?
Only if you ask nicely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island