Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 01:09 PM

23,556 posts, read 18,651,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
Who cares about comparing one state to another if you're not going to see everything in context?

The fact that one third of people in Montana (not a populous state to begin with = ) see their state as the best ever, and the vast majority of Rhode Islanders think we're just A-OK says more to me about the characteristics of the people who inhabit each respective state.

Wyoming, for example, has only half the population of Rhode Island. Sure, they think they're great. But if anyone else agreed they wouldn't be so tiny. Rhode Island is actually much bigger, since we're talking populations and not geography. I could easily make the (perhaps dubious) claim that Wyoming actually has the "Napoleon Syndrome" because it's out in the middle of freakin' nowhere; so they puff themselves up to say they're the best. And that's fine with me. But I'm not stupid enough to actually believe it! haha

No offense, but when Europeans or other foreigners come over to visit here, the majority of them visit the coasts. They don't go to Montana, or Wyoming, or Utah. It's just different mindsets.

What I still don't get is your stake in all this, except that - as I said - misery loves company.

"The fact that one third of people in Montana (not a populous state to begin with = ) see their state as the best ever, and the vast majority of Rhode Islanders think we're just A-OK says more to me about the characteristics of the people who inhabit each respective state."

Ok now you are starting to have a reasonable conversation, good job RnR.

Unfortunately, that is where your sensibility comes to an end and your typical rants take over. By your logic, CA and TX must be the best places to live in America (they are the most populated). Do you agree with that? Oh wait, you couldn't resist dissing TX in this very thread!

You just kill me sometimes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 01:18 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,996,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
"The fact that one third of people in Montana (not a populous state to begin with = ) see their state as the best ever, and the vast majority of Rhode Islanders think we're just A-OK says more to me about the characteristics of the people who inhabit each respective state."

By your logic, CA and TX must be the best places to live in America (they are the most populated).
I never said having a large population meant somewhere was better to live, I only pointed out that having a small population was hardly indicative of such.

Apparently you're only good at debating strawmen.

But how about this: I will concede that all of a sudden I agree with you that Rhode Island sucks. It's miserable here. I HATE it! I WISH I lived somewhere else.

Now will you explain why five out of six Rhode Islanders are either A-OK with our state, or love it here? I mean, I know Rhode Island will never have the sophistication, charm, and urban amenities of Wyoming - but can we get a little credit.

OK, I was wrong - this is still totally entertaining haha

Last edited by Rnrboy; 04-27-2014 at 01:29 PM..

Old 04-27-2014, 01:42 PM

4,382 posts, read 3,182,814 times
Quote:
Wrong wrong wrong. 18% said it was the "best possible or one of the best to live in". 100%-18% equals 82% left of the population.
I got my numbers from the Gallup site. What part was incorrect?

3% said it was the best possible state to live
18% said it was one of the best states to live
62% said it was as good as any other state to live
17% said it was the worst state to live.

Half full or half empty? 83% think it's as good as or better than any other state = half full. 17% think it's the worst state = half empty.

Or to use your math - 100 - 17% who think it's the worst place, means 83% who do not think it's the worst place.

The majority chose "as good as any other state", and actually that's the majority answer in most states. The ones that came out on top were outliers.

I wouldn't expect RI to be one of those because, as you said, unemployment.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:52 PM

23,556 posts, read 18,651,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
I got my numbers from the Gallup site. What part was incorrect?

3% said it was the best possible state to live
18% said it was one of the best states to live
62% said it was as good as any other state to live
17% said it was the worst state to live.

Half full or half empty? 83% think it's as good as or better than any other state = half full. 17% think it's the worst state = half empty.

Or to use your math - 100 - 17% who think it's the worst place, means 83% who do not think it's the worst place.

The majority chose "as good as any other state", and actually that's the majority answer in most states. The ones that came out on top were outliers.

I wouldn't expect RI to be one of those because, as you said, unemployment.
Go back and read those #s you posted. 62% said it was AS GOOD as any other state to live in. 83% do not think it is the worst, not AS GOOD OR BETTER like you stated it. Only 3% thought it was better than any other state.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:57 PM

Wow...this is just getting sad haha

I think someone from Rhode Island broke this poster's heart or something.

Since you're so transfixed by one in six people who hate it here, but are not interested in the explanation for the other 5 out of 6 who run counter to your agenda, I call BS!

I'm out kids.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Go back and read those #s you posted. 62% said it was AS GOOD as any other state to live in. 83% do not think it is the worst, not AS GOOD OR BETTER like you stated it. Only 3% thought it was better than any other state.
Holy crap, I don't know how else to re-state it so that you understand it.

3% think it's the best state
18 % think it's one of the best states, so that's 21% who think it's either the best or one of the best states
62% say it's as good as any other state, so that's 83% who think it's either as good or better than any other state. That's 62% think it's as good, plus the 21% who think it's better.

17% think it's the worst state. The only options offered were "the best", "one of the best" and "as good as any other". Those are the four options. Three of those four options equate to "as good" or "better than".

Gallup probably should have had a fifth option, "one of the worst" but they didn't. From their website:
"The results are based on a special 50-state Gallup poll conducted June-December 2013, including interviews with at least 600 residents in every state. For the first time, Gallup measured whether residents view their states as "the best possible state to live in," "one of the best possible states to live in," "as good a state as any to live in," or "the worst possible state to live in."

Few Americans say their states are the single best or worst places to live. Rather, the large majority of respondents say their states were either "one of the best" or "as good a state as any" place to live."

By the options they presented, if you don't think it's the worst, you think it's as good, or better. Get it now? There are no other options!

Old 04-27-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Wrong wrong wrong. 18% said it was the "best possible or one of the best to live in". 100%-18% equals 82% left of the population. That means that 82% of RIers DID NOT indicate that it was either the "best possible" or "one of the best" states to live. Comprende?

That RI ranks lower than any other state, should be cause for concern.

In individual categories: RI ranked 2nd worst for "stress", 3rd worst in "standard of living", 5th worst in "state taxes", and 2nd worst in their "trust of state government".

It did not rank in the top 10 worst of either "economic confidence" (ironically) or "well being".

It did not score in the 10 best of anything.

Any attempt to gloss over the dim results of this poll, are a discredit to yourself and a waste of time to read.

It would be good to see more intelligent discussion of why RI scored so poorly.
I thought we all agreed - unemployment.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:44 PM

11 posts, read 13,688 times
[quote=Rnrboy;34554201]

Since you're so transfixed by one in six people who hate it here, but are not interested in the explanation for the other 5 out of 6 who run counter to your agenda, I call BS!

I find your argument regarding this interesting as you also seem to be "transfixed" on this number. Your stance is that since only 1 out of 6 feel this way, it's insignificant. Personally, I think that it is quite significant. If the results of a different study were that 1 out of 6 people were rapists, or had AIDS or were serial killers etc, it would be earth shattering news. I believe that nearly 20% of the population polled feeling that they reside in the worst state is a sad state of affairs.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:56 AM

Yes because 1 in six people hating it here is the same as them being rapists hahah!!!!

So can I say that since way more people love it here, it's like them having immortality or magic powers, and you should be thrilled?

Absolutely pathetic.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Holy crap, I don't know how else to re-state it so that you understand it.

3% think it's the best state
18 % think it's one of the best states, so that's 21% who think it's either the best or one of the best states
62% say it's as good as any other state, so that's 83% who think it's either as good or better than any other state. That's 62% think it's as good, plus the 21% who think it's better.
The saddest part of all this is you would think you posted the study, since you're having to explain it!

It is undeniable proof that there are some bitter characters on here with an agenda who need to look before they leap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island