Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,346 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I (and our two children, ages 2 and 1) having been thinking about relocating for quite some time, but after spending Mother's Day in Newport we're more determined now than we've ever been. We currently live on the shore in Milford, CT and both of us went to college in RI. My husband's family has a summer home in Warwick, so we are very familiar it

We are not familiar, however, with the farming opportunities in RI. We want a simpler lifestyle...large piece of land (5-10 acres), large farmhouse, small community, decent schools, and (as oxymoronic as this may sound in RI lol) something close to the water or a local marina, since we're boater's at heart

We love to restore things; we're "bargain hunters", if you will, so a foreclosure or an older home for a great price would be perfect. I also currently own an in-home daycare, so an area with other young families would be lovely.

Lastly, we love to eat out on the weekends, and live within walking distance of downtown, so we'd want a town with a downtown area and cute restaurants/shops.

No job requirements right now. Just trying to narrow down an area and figure the rest out later! Thank you so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 11:04 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbfrederick View Post
Hello! My husband and I (and our two children, ages 2 and 1) having been thinking about relocating for quite some time, but after spending Mother's Day in Newport we're more determined now than we've ever been. We currently live on the shore in Milford, CT and both of us went to college in RI. My husband's family has a summer home in Warwick, so we are very familiar it

We are not familiar, however, with the farming opportunities in RI. We want a simpler lifestyle...large piece of land (5-10 acres), large farmhouse, small community, decent schools, and (as oxymoronic as this may sound in RI lol) something close to the water or a local marina, since we're boater's at heart

We love to restore things; we're "bargain hunters", if you will, so a foreclosure or an older home for a great price would be perfect. I also currently own an in-home daycare, so an area with other young families would be lovely.

Lastly, we love to eat out on the weekends, and live within walking distance of downtown, so we'd want a town with a downtown area and cute restaurants/shops.

No job requirements right now. Just trying to narrow down an area and figure the rest out later! Thank you so much

Price range?

Old 05-12-2014, 11:47 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Your problem will not be in finding the acreage so much as the "walk to town" and "near water" aspect. Acreage usually equals boonies unless you're a multi millionaire.

Tiverton comes to mind however as a possibility starting- say in the $600,000 range- for that much land.

You can just go to RILIiving.com and put in your required acreage and then map the property for walkable proximity to anything.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:24 PM

8,031 posts, read 4,698,379 times
Depending on your budget, either you're dreaming or if not, you need to check out Tiverton or South County to find a farm near the sea. If your budget is really huge, look into Little Compton. Cows literally grazing down to the surf!

The part about a farm within walking distance of a downtown sounds like a particularly expensive proposition, but surely exist and doable with enough funds. Beautiful "back to the earth" animal type farms can be had in Foster and western RI for well under $500,000. However, farmland suitable for raising vegs is usually more expensive since the raw land itself is more valuable. It's less costly in western RI because its very rocky and most isn't farmable.

Legends Creek Farm, for example, in Foster is on the market now for under $300,000. Check out its website to get an idea of what's available and for small money. The back to the farm movement is growing in Rhode Island. Good luck!

Old 05-12-2014, 07:12 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
There's a property in Portsmouth for sale. Just over 16 acres. House and barn. Owner's have boarded horses.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...0-74798?row=79

Old 05-13-2014, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
There's a property in Portsmouth for sale. Just over 16 acres. House and barn. Owner's have boarded horses.

180 Mitchells Ln, Portsmouth, RI 02871 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

The "public property records" further down the page says that the land area is just under 2 acres. 1.92 acres to be exact. Maybe the owners bought adjoining acreage. That's a beautiful area; I used to ride over there at the old Vanderbilt Stables down Sandy Lane when they had scads of acreage and scads of waterfront on the Sakonnet River and knew people who lived on Mitchells Lane. I believe now the stable is still there but may have been converted to an estate home. There is now a nice subdivision on what was the Vanderbilt stables land.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:42 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
That area is lovely. The problem is Portsmouth's "downtown" is a couple of places in a few shops lining the roadways. No town to walk in. However, you're really close to Newport.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
The "public property records" further down the page says that the land area is just under 2 acres. 1.92 acres to be exact. Maybe the owners bought adjoining acreage. That's a beautiful area; I used to ride over there at the old Vanderbilt Stables down Sandy Lane when they had scads of acreage and scads of waterfront on the Sakonnet River and knew people who lived on Mitchells Lane. I believe now the stable is still there but may have been converted to an estate home. There is now a nice subdivision on what was the Vanderbilt stables land.
The house tract is 1.92 acres - that's not under the conservation easement. It's one lot. The stable is on the second lot of 14.25 acres under the conservation easement.

Last edited by ocngypz; 05-13-2014 at 02:05 PM..

Old 05-13-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
The house tract is 1.92 acres - that's not under the conservation easement. It's one lot. The stable is on the second lot of 14.25 acres under the conservation easement.

Ahh, I see. So the 14.25 acres cannot be built on or sold, correct? That would account for the under $700K price. Beautiful spot to live on if the house is worth the $$.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Ahh, I see. So the 14.25 acres cannot be built on or sold, correct? That would account for the under $700K price. Beautiful spot to live on if the house is worth the $$.
Yes, it can be sold. The easement is in perpetuity; it follows the land. However, the 14.25 cannot be built on or developed in any other way. There's a lot of wetland. Watershed protection area. The present owner has been using about 3 acres total for his horse boarding business which is a permitted use.

Some people are afraid of conservation easements. Not me, I welcome them. But the house......I didn't care for in the least. The stable I thought was a fire trap. I'd never put my horse in there. It needs sto be rebuilt and can be.

There's a little over 12 acres in Middletown for sale with another ALT conservation easement. Abuts St George's. Views to die for. Building envelope for a home, barn, tool shed, etc. is okay. Water, power, etc would need to be brought in. However, if the owner of the abutting former sheep farm sells out for development....there goes your view! With this property there is a little more work involved maintaining the lower 1.5 acres through which the Maidford River runs. It's all stipulated in the easment with ALT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island