Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 11:44 AM

216 posts, read 564,602 times

Advertisements

Just a quick question. My wife and I are trying to move back to the Northeast and weighing several options. One very good option is a home in Danielson CT, just over the border, and a job for my wife in Providence. The job is in the Western portion of Prov., but the commute includes about a 23+ mile trip on Rt. 6. Neither one of us has traveled that route in years, anyone have an opinion on a daily 8:00 to 4:30 commute?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 05:16 PM

8,032 posts, read 4,696,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandaija2009 View Post
Just a quick question. My wife and I are trying to move back to the Northeast and weighing several options. One very good option is a home in Danielson CT, just over the border, and a job for my wife in Providence. The job is in the Western portion of Prov., but the commute includes about a 23+ mile trip on Rt. 6. Neither one of us has traveled that route in years, anyone have an opinion on a daily 8:00 to 4:30 commute?
Thanks
If you can bear the dreariness and rush hour traffic of Rt 6, it should take you around 50 minutes. I always tell folks not to judge Foster by what they see on Rt 6 thru town. Much of Foster has classic rural charm. Danielson CT not so much.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:19 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,991,727 times
Tedious to awful....awful to tedious.

I did the commute between Foster and the Cranston/Warwick line.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:42 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
I take it you're looking at Danielson for low price? Is that why you'd consider the commute? Foster and Glocester have comparable prices, so you might want to look in RI for a house.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:28 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,055,284 times
Quote:
Thanks
The route thru Rhode Island is no longer four lanes thru Foster and Scituate, it does have truck lanes at various points east and west in these towns. There is also a safety chatter strip now in between the center yellow lines. And finally in Foster there is a traffic light at Route 94. Route 6 becomes 4 lanes as it merges with 6A in Scituate and into Johnston. In Johnston where it had but one traffic light 10 years ago there are now 5. Add a dunkin donuts in Johnston inbound and the commute becomes challenging. Traffic does try to move 5-10 miles faster than the speed limit(35/45) but you need to keep on your toes during commute times. Western Providence? Going from 295 to 395 is about a 30-35 minute drive, but add 5 minutes during commute times and 10 minutes with school buses. Add another 10 minutes with snow on the ground. If you are far enough north in Danielson to get to Route 101 try it, but avoid it in winter as it gets icy even without snow. Good luck and 1,000's from Connecticut do it every day.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:36 AM

23 posts, read 35,942 times
That's a slow commute.

I'd check TomTom Routes for a target time from the exact possible locations at the time of day that you'd be commuting back and forth. It'll give you a very accurate estimate aside from accidents.

Route Planner - the best route, maps and traffic info from TomTom

Old 06-30-2014, 10:41 AM

564 posts, read 1,879,962 times
I have a coworker who does it every day. 55-60 minutes.

He moved there for lower taxes, a better property for the money, and the schools were rated more highly than the school his children were in in RI.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:16 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,590,580 times
this is a pretty long drive to make as part of your daily working life.
Route 6 is not your only option as stated above, it depends, you can
look at a map and see for yourself... but in the winter it's not going to
be a pleasure at all. Even anytime, it's a haul. The roads are often
not in the best shape especially Route 6 and you can't go too fast because
the lanes are small and there will be cops and other cars slowing for stops.
Perhaps you would be better off renting for a number of months. That would
allow you to have a much closer commute, with more expendable time to
shop around for your eventual home, and the bonus that most likely,
home prices could get less expensive when the winter comes, you know,
those straggler homes that didn't sell in the summer. And a raising interest
rate environment which could begin to cool off the hot real estate market.
my 2 cents.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:59 AM

216 posts, read 564,602 times
Thanks for the responses. The reason behind staying on the CT side of the border is for my work. We have decided to rent no matter where we go, just to get a good feel for the area and the commute. If the drive became to awful for my wife, we could live in RI and I would have to rent an office in CT. It just seems like an easy solution to live on the border. As another poster answered in a previous post.....my wife would not be alone in the commute, many do it everyday, and for many years. We have checked out some towns farther north in CT, including Putnam and Thompson. Rt.44 appears to be the route she would travel, at least till she made her way to Rt.6. One house for rent shows a commute of 22.4 miles from door to door. RI border is basically in the back yard. Her job is at the VA Hospital in Providence. Not sure of the difficulty in getting there through the city is. If anyone could shed some light on that, it would be great.

Old 07-03-2014, 03:47 PM

4,389 posts, read 3,193,342 times
Quote:
Her job is at the VA Hospital in Providence. Not sure of the difficulty in getting there through the city is. If anyone could shed some light on that, it would be great.
That part will be pretty easy. She'll take 6 into the city and get off on the Dean Street exit, turning left on Dean Street. Chalkstone Ave will be on her left, maybe half a mile down the road. Turn left and the VA Hosp is on the left, directly opposite Roger Williams Hosp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island