Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 05:28 PM

8,056 posts, read 4,681,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
The plans are in the works for this. Personally, I find it hideously ugly, however, it will be near the freeway and not so close to the historic parts. I'd be in favor of something a lot more attractive and less 70s and orangey looking. How does it strike you?

→ ProJo: Procaccianti Group proposes extended-stay hotel for downtown Providence | Greater City Providence
Agree it's hideously ugly! It looks like it belongs out at the airport in Warwick where no one cares. While I'm absolutely no fan of the Brutalist architecture it would replace, at least that's Architecture. The cheap design won't stand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 07:31 PM

61 posts, read 85,417 times
Not impressed with that design. I don't find it hideously ugly or anything, but it is...boring.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdlinger View Post
Not impressed with that design. I don't find it hideously ugly or anything, but it is...boring.
It's just a standard suburban draft for the cheapest structure which could be built for the purpose of housing hotel guests. There is no architectural design and that's what should be so offensive to anyone who holds Downtown in any esteem whatsoever.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:10 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,146,952 times
If you look closely at it, like really look at it, it's not so bad. Sometimes renderings like this make buildings look worse than they are. The big problem with this one is the Holiday Inn-ish window layout, but the beige cladding could end up being fairly attractive and I actually think it looks pretty good at street level. The bigger issue to me is that it seems this won't actually happen and will end up being a parking lot. Here, take a look at it blown up:

http://www.gcpvd.org/wp-content/uplo...-hotel-001.jpg

I also don't hate the building it's replacing, as far as brutalism goes. In contrast to the hotel, its biggest problem is at street level, where it resembles a fortress.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:17 PM

4,382 posts, read 3,184,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Isn't there already an extended stay highrise right near there, though? Or are those condos? I'm thinking right off the Broadway exit..
Do you perhaps mean the Regency Plaza? Who, by the way, are planning to build a 5 or 6 story addition to their complex. It would eliminate the right hand turn lane from the service road onto Broadway, and they may ask for the abandonment of part of Greene Street.

Anyway, that's a regular apartment complex, though I think they have some furnished corporate apartments, so I guess that could make it "extended stay"?

→ PBN: Regency Plaza owners plan new addition to apartment complex | Greater City Providence

Old 07-01-2014, 10:56 PM

4,382 posts, read 3,184,886 times
Interesting. Snowball thinks there are too many hotels in Providence, and massnative thinks there aren't enough. (By the way, Snowball, raiderman was referring to Motel 6 when he said "fleabag" not "average people".

I can't imagine we need a whole lot more, but I'm sure no one would undertake another motel unless they've done their research and the city's room occupancy rate was already very high. And this would be the first extended stay downtown, so it's a different niche.

Massnative, I think only a city in bad, bad shape has a Red Roof or a Motel 6 downtown in prime real estate but I do think there are affordable - but not cheap - options downtown. I just tried Expedia and came back with $146 for the Biltmore or the Hilton, $146 Hotel Dolce Villa, $149 for the Christopher Dodge House, $159 for the Omni (that stunned me!), $134 for the Wyndham Garden. I was surprised how high Hampton Inn came in, because I've gotten good prices there before.

Those prices sound pretty typical - even low - to me, and are not bad for a location in the thick of things, which gets you out of renting a car. Or you can pay less and stay in Seekonk or Warwick, but have to drive in. I actually think it's the hotels in Warwick that are overpriced...

Old 07-02-2014, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
If you look closely at it, like really look at it, it's not so bad. Sometimes renderings like this make buildings look worse than they are. The big problem with this one is the Holiday Inn-ish window layout, but the beige cladding could end up being fairly attractive and I actually think it looks pretty good at street level. The bigger issue to me is that it seems this won't actually happen and will end up being a parking lot. Here, take a look at it blown up:

http://www.gcpvd.org/wp-content/uplo...-hotel-001.jpg

I also don't hate the building it's replacing, as far as brutalism goes. In contrast to the hotel, its biggest problem is at street level, where it resembles a fortress.
This elevation makes it look a bit like a small hospital. Not good, but more attractive than past renditions.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:05 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,454,820 times
^ Under $90 at the Dean Hotel, and it's a very nice boutique addition. On Fountain St.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:06 AM

684 posts, read 833,040 times
When there is a market for a cheap hotel in downtown Providence it will be built. Right now I'm just happy that a business decision is being made....based on data that Providence can support another just above moderate range hotel in downtown and that means lots of money coming from visitors! Free money....money that will NOT be taken away from other areas of our state's economy but fresh money being left in our coffers. Wish it was filling in one of our parking lots, but that will happen eventually.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:11 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,651,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Interesting. Snowball thinks there are too many hotels in Providence, and massnative thinks there aren't enough. (By the way, Snowball, raiderman was referring to Motel 6 when he said "fleabag" not "average people".

I can't imagine we need a whole lot more, but I'm sure no one would undertake another motel unless they've done their research and the city's room occupancy rate was already very high. And this would be the first extended stay downtown, so it's a different niche.

Massnative, I think only a city in bad, bad shape has a Red Roof or a Motel 6 downtown in prime real estate but I do think there are affordable - but not cheap - options downtown. I just tried Expedia and came back with $146 for the Biltmore or the Hilton, $146 Hotel Dolce Villa, $149 for the Christopher Dodge House, $159 for the Omni (that stunned me!), $134 for the Wyndham Garden. I was surprised how high Hampton Inn came in, because I've gotten good prices there before.

Those prices sound pretty typical - even low - to me, and are not bad for a location in the thick of things, which gets you out of renting a car. Or you can pay less and stay in Seekonk or Warwick, but have to drive in. I actually think it's the hotels in Warwick that are overpriced...
Warwick is not overpriced. The rates are dictated by what the market commands. Given that the airport is there, that can have an influence on the demand. You often see higher rates near airports.

With that said, I did not mean DOWNTOWN Providence needs more affordable hotels. The problem is that they barely exist ANYWHERE in the city (except for maybe a few "true" fleabag motels, and I ain't talking Motel 6). Allow a Super 8 off 95 by Branch Ave. for example, it would not detract from the elegance of DT. But I guess the city is happy to lose the business to Warwick or gasp... Seekonk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island