Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 09:36 AM

33 posts, read 121,387 times

Advertisements

Yeah, the problem is my husband is absolutely in love with Rhode Island, and wants to be as close to beaches, etc. as possible. He isn't even all that attached to Providence itself - if it were up to him we would live in like, Little Compton, or in one of the towns along the bay south of Providence. On the other hand, I may have better job prospects in Boston than in Providence (I'm currently looking at jobs in either city), and have lots of family in MA.
So as a compromise, we have discussed living in Providence for a couple of years, giving me the option of either working in Prov or commuting by train to Boston, and being pretty close to all the ocean action in RI, while exploring the communities on the south shore of MA that might also have good Boston commuting options, an area we're not currently very familiar with at all.
Then a couple of years down the road, depending on how we're feeling and what our job situations are, and after we've had more time to explore that area, my hubby has said he's open to moving to MA. We've been living in CT for 7 years, and I'm originally from southern NH, with most of my family in the Boston area, so right now I am just happy he's willing to move a bit further east than CT... Even in Providence I'll be 30-45 minutes closer to my family than I am now. Baby steps!! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 01:20 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,651,084 times
Do not park in S Attleboro unless you don't mind getting back to find your vehicle stolen/broken into. It's a vast, isolated parking area with little to no security. Being a step away from the Bucket of Filth, just makes matters much worse.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:37 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
Where is hubby going to work?

FYI.. it's not a bad drive from Mansfield down to Horseneck Beach.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:09 PM

974 posts, read 1,896,655 times
Have to agree with the Hubby on this one - as a die hard Cape Codder, RI beaches are gorgeous AND you don't have RT 6 and the Sagamore to deal with.

Horseneck is nice, but the one way in and out roads make the return home miserable.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:10 PM

My husband is about to finish nursing school (RN/BSN) at the end of this month. He has basically no preferences when it comes to jobs - as long as he can pay the bills and have time to go fishing, he will be happy. So of course he'll be looking into the hospitals in Providence, but would probably be just as happy working at a nursing home or anything in between.... so he'll have good opportunities in a city, but could also find something in a suburban or rural area. My work situation is a bit more limited to cities.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:18 PM

Also, Mansfield is a bit too far from the beach for us! We are spoiled living about a 5 minute drive from Long Island Sound right now, and wouldn't want to be more than a 15-20 minute drive from the ocean, max (and I totally agree w/my hubby on that one... I'm just slightly less obsessed than him!). You really can't beat RI's water access, coming from CT where like 80% (made up %, but it feels that way) of the shoreline is private, our jaws drop as we pass RI's public access point after public access point!

If we move to MA eventually, I had my eye on some of the south shore towns that have commuter rail access... Plymouth/Kingston up to Scituate (but doubtful I can get my hubby that close to a big city... we'll see).

Old 07-07-2014, 07:23 PM

5 posts, read 5,864 times
I took the train from south station to Providence last friday and I got suck on the train for 2 hours. the engine had died on the train and we had to be pushed from pawtucket to providence by the next train coming in.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:49 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,780,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybadiva View Post
I took the train from south station to Providence last friday and I got suck on the train for 2 hours. the engine had died on the train and we had to be pushed from pawtucket to providence by the next train coming in.
Well, that doesn't seem like a bad way to spend the commute!

Old 07-08-2014, 09:54 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanhou3 View Post
My husband is about to finish nursing school (RN/BSN) at the end of this month. He has basically no preferences when it comes to jobs - as long as he can pay the bills and have time to go fishing, he will be happy. So of course he'll be looking into the hospitals in Providence, but would probably be just as happy working at a nursing home or anything in between.... so he'll have good opportunities in a city, but could also find something in a suburban or rural area. My work situation is a bit more limited to cities.
He'll need to get an RI license first..........and frankly, there's not a lot of weekly hours available for experienced RN's let alone new graduates. Boston and environs will give him a wider playing field in which to search.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:33 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
IF; you decide to commute Providence to Boston and live in Providence, take the bus into downtown. It'll be a whole lot cheaper than paying to park. And if you want a nice neighborhood, look into Elmhurst. I loved it for nearly 10 years, but the marriage dissolved and I booked out to NYC. Although, I would have preferred to continue living in South County but the "dear" ex wouldn't hear of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island