Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 01:12 PM

23,554 posts, read 18,661,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Doesn't have to be a gay bar car, though.
Don't worry man. With the way the state of Massachusetts is run these days, I'm sure they will "mandate" one of those before the "rest of us" get a bar car. Gov. Duval will take the first ride, touting the state's "bold leadership" on the matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 06:13 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Well I've been doing the commute for a while now and it never is really wholy tolerable or intolerable.

I think it would make for a more convivial ride were there a proper bar car on the afternoon trains. Doesn't have to be a gay bar car, though.

What does a "gay bar car" have to do with the OP's questions relative to their needs for commuting, parking, costs, etc. ? ... nothing, nada. Try to stay on topic and not irrelevant.

Last edited by QuilterChick; 07-25-2014 at 06:28 PM..

Old 07-26-2014, 07:16 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,455,501 times
^ Talk to my room mate. He didn't log-off before I posted.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:08 PM

4,375 posts, read 3,184,886 times
Quote:
Well I've been doing the commute for a while now and it never is really wholy tolerable or intolerable.

I think it would make for a more convivial ride were there a proper bar car on the afternoon trains. Doesn't have to be a gay bar car, though.
I agree, a bar car would definitely improve the commute! Or heck, even just a rolling bar cart, like I've seen on British trains....

Old 07-26-2014, 04:28 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,455,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
I agree, a bar car would definitely improve the commute! Or heck, even just a rolling bar cart, like I've seen on British trains....
The last commuter rail line to have a bar car ended service in May of this year -- on Metro-North in New York.

A couple of problems with the cart. Most, if not all, rush hour MBTA commuter rail cars are bi-level, and there's simply no way of pushing a cart for a car's length and then going up(or down) a few steps for every car on the train. Second, at rush, by the time the train departs Back Bay, it's packed and is SRO, sometimes all the way to Mansfield. A cart couldn't make any progress. But still, a good thought!

Old 07-26-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
The last commuter rail line to have a bar car ended service in May of this year -- on Metro-North in New York.

A couple of problems with the cart. Most, if not all, rush hour MBTA commuter rail cars are bi-level, and there's simply no way of pushing a cart for a car's length and then going up(or down) a few steps for every car on the train. Second, at rush, by the time the train departs Back Bay, it's packed and is SRO, sometimes all the way to Mansfield. A cart couldn't make any progress. But still, a good thought!
Alfie, you're not thinking this through. The second floor is the "family" section, as Fenway calls their non-drinking area.

And I've taken the Metro North and had NO IDEA there was a drinking car. And now I know...and it's too late. Damn you, Alfie. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. Next time I take the train into the city, I'll be thinking about the bar car that should be there.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:58 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Alfie, you're not thinking this through. The second floor is the "family" section, as Fenway calls their non-drinking area.

And I've taken the Metro North and had NO IDEA there was a drinking car. And now I know...and it's too late. Damn you, Alfie. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. Next time I take the train into the city, I'll be thinking about the bar car that should be there.

Good example of "derailing" a thread.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Thank you!

Old 07-27-2014, 01:34 PM

61 posts, read 85,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
That's a high-quality pun!

Old 08-18-2014, 11:11 AM

33 posts, read 121,393 times
Thanks all for the input... lots and lots of food for thought! Also agree w/the need for bar cars on all trains. ;-) That would certainly help an evening commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island