Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 09:02 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,537,817 times

Advertisements

Let's learn the facts during the time/years you have lived in Rhode Island, of how you were personally affected during the Cianci years. How did anything he did change your life? Good or bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 12:32 PM

23,539 posts, read 18,687,760 times
I've never been a resident of RI, so I can't really answer that question in full. What I can say is that being a resident of a neighboring state (for some time I lived 50 yards from the state line), is that his leadership made Providence once again worth visiting for those like myself. Especially during my college years, that is many a money spent in Providence. Without all those visitors dollars spent over the years, and in a city increasingly dependent on service based jobs; life in Providence would unlikely be better today if it weren't for his several terms as mayor.

Now as for him as a person, I think some people here are a little harsh on him. I would often go to the Bristol parade (friend's family has a place right along the route). There was one year (Buddy would always be there), when a certain crowd there began heckling him. He took it like a total gentleman, and carried on with his usual humor/persona. No arrogance whatsoever. He was the same when seen around town. The man made mistakes, but I fail to see how he's to blame for any of Providence's woes. His successor on the other hand...

Last edited by massnative71; 07-10-2014 at 12:46 PM..

Old 07-11-2014, 08:21 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,588,764 times
Buddy was a great leader for the city, some people don't give him enough credit,
especially those who have no idea what they are talking about and get their
information from the internet or sensationalist journalists, and those who haven't
been here long enough to have any clue what Providence was like.
These types take for granted what they see in the city today.
None of this existed until Cianci transformed Providence into a gem.
The man made silk out of a sod's ear, then Cicilline started to ruin it again.
The city was cleaner, safer, fiscally more sound, and more upbeat under
Cianci than it ever was under Cicilline. Even the Paolino years can't compare
to Buddy's years. Buddy was loved by 90% of city residents.
He was the Chuck Norris of mayors.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:37 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,456,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Buddy was a great leader for the city, some people don't give him enough credit,
especially those who have no idea what they are talking about and get their
information from the internet or sensationalist journalists, and those who haven't
been here long enough to have any clue what Providence was like.
These types take for granted what they see in the city today. None of this
existed until Cianci transformed Providence into a gem.
The man made silk out of a sod's ear, then Cicilline started to ruin it again.
Yes, oh course, smear the authors, blur the facts, forget the history, blame the newcomers, because you have do all that to defend the totality of Cianci's record, which is mixed at best.

SMEAR THE AUTHOR: Mike Stanton, Prince of Providence (background):

"Mike Stanton comes to UConn from The Providence Journal, where he was an award-winning investigative reporter specializing in public corruption, politics and government, and organized crime. He is the author of The Prince of Providence (Random House), a widely acclaimed 2003 New York Times bestseller about the felonious former mayor, Buddy Cianci. He shared the 1994 Pulitzer Prize for investigative reporting for exposing corruption in the Rhode Island court system." Some "sensationalist journalist," huh?

BLAME THE INTERNET: 18,300 returns on "Cianci AND felony.

BLUR THE FACTS: Twice convicted felon and federal gated community resident. Left the city with a crushing deficit and endowed Providence with a reputation as a laughingstock.

BLAME THE NEWCOMERS:
Um, I wasn't around when FDR or Lincoln or Eisenhower were presidents, but history teaches me, books inform me as to their character and their successes. Cianci is a known entity and the facts -- good and bad -- are still the facts and they cannot be ignored.

Want to vote for Cianci? That's your right and I'm not going to smear or denigrate you. Perhaps you should show the same courtesy to those who disagree.

The cult of Cianci is strong, but it's still a cult.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:28 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,190,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
He was the Chuck Norris of mayors.
Cianci did karate?

Listen, everyone here acknowledges he did a lot for the city.

But that doesn't make everything ok. Hitler made the trains run on time, but I'm not going to vote for Hitler. (I'm not saying Cianci is Hitler, so don't go there.) There are other considerations. I want someone who can do a good job AND someone who can do it honestly.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post

BLUR THE FACTS: Twice convicted felon and federal gated community resident. Left the city with a crushing deficit and endowed Providence with a reputation as a laughingstock.
Twice convicted felon, but accused of how many more felonies?

I think it's fair to want a leader who is better than that.

More and more I think about the woman who said she was raped by Cianci when he was a law student.
She passed a lie detector test and has never recanted. He flunked a lie detector test three times, but the DA decided there was no evidence to prosecute. More and more, I wonder, how is someone with this history of criminality considered a viable candidate? It must be a cult because I can't think of another pol who we'd give so many passes to!

Old 07-11-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
I want someone who can do a good job AND someone who can do it honestly.
So who do you suggest?

Old 07-11-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Twice convicted felon, but accused of how many more felonies?

I think it's fair to want a leader who is better than that.

More and more I think about the woman who said she was raped by Cianci when he was a law student.
She passed a lie detector test and has never recanted. He flunked a lie detector test three times, but the DA decided there was no evidence to prosecute. More and more, I wonder, how is someone with this history of criminality considered a viable candidate? It must be a cult because I can't think of another pol who we'd give so many passes to!
Oh those lie detectors are state of the art...for 1920! LMAO.

They notoriously unreliable, and therefore illegal in many jurisdictions.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Oh those lie detectors are state of the art...for 1920! LMAO.

They notoriously unreliable, and therefore illegal in many jurisdictions.
I don't think they cannot be entered into court as evidence in any jurisdiction. They aren't illegal though.

But you miss my point.

Why is it so hard for Cianci to live a life, unaccused and unconvicted of felony? Most of us do it. Those who lead us should be capable of that, at a bare minimum.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:33 AM

564 posts, read 1,879,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Yes, oh course, smear the authors, blur the facts, forget the history, blame the newcomers, because you have do all that to defend the totality of Cianci's record, which is mixed at best.

SMEAR THE AUTHOR: Mike Stanton, Prince of Providence (background):

"Mike Stanton comes to UConn from The Providence Journal, where he was an award-winning investigative reporter specializing in public corruption, politics and government, and organized crime. He is the author of The Prince of Providence (Random House), a widely acclaimed 2003 New York Times bestseller about the felonious former mayor, Buddy Cianci. He shared the 1994 Pulitzer Prize for investigative reporting for exposing corruption in the Rhode Island court system." Some "sensationalist journalist," huh?

BLAME THE NEWCOMERS:
Um, I wasn't around when FDR or Lincoln or Eisenhower were presidents, but history teaches me, books inform me as to their character and their successes. Cianci is a known entity and the facts -- good and bad -- are still the facts and they cannot be ignored.

Want to vote for Cianci? That's your right and I'm not going to smear or denigrate you. Perhaps you should show the same courtesy to those who disagree.

The cult of Cianci is strong, but it's still a cult.

I finally agree with Alfie. ;-)

So I will say ditto and well said, Alfieboy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island