Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2014, 12:45 PM

282 posts, read 575,103 times

Advertisements

Hi all-I realize this is a matter of taste, but my husband and I are coming up to Westerly for a few days in September and I can't come to New England and not have my belly clams. So where can we go in the area for really good whole fried clams? Iggy's pops up a lot but the reviews are very mixed, same with Aunt Carrie's. We don't want to travel much further up the coast than Narraganset if possible. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 02:14 PM

5,470 posts, read 6,287,688 times
Iggys and Carries are great, but if you want a nice sit down seafood dinner, I'd recommend Finns Harborside in East Greenwich. It's 10-15 minutes north of Narragansett, but it's an easy drive up Rt 4, excellent food and right on the water. Enjoy!

East Greenwich, RI Fresh Seafood Restaurant - Finn's Harborside

Old 08-04-2014, 08:22 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,821,697 times
I know you said you didn't want to travel too far but one of my two favorite places is Flo's in Middletown right on the Newport line. You are right by the beach too so you can't beat it.

I also like Jim's Dock in Wakefield (which will be fairly close to you).

And if you do happen to make it further north, there is Blount Clam Shack (one in Providence and one in Riverside) which is my other personal favorite.

Enjoy your trip!

Old 08-10-2014, 03:26 PM

32 posts, read 45,846 times
Came here to recommend Flo's, so seconding that. Aunt Carrie's is great too, both are very casual. Bring cash to Flo's, as they don't take cards. I haven't been to Aunt Carrie's in awhile so can't speak to the payment options there.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:38 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,528,410 times
Isn't there a restaurant on the corner of Point Judith Rd. and (?). Can't remember the name, but it is a regular restaurant/sports bar etc. Begins with a "C". Charlie's, Champlin's ? something like that. Awesome fried clams there. Obviously haven't been there in awhile. There are other fried clam shacks on the road going into Galilee that are excellent. (Not George's, however). If you want to drive over to Tiverton, there is a place called Eva's. Fabulous.

I'll be up before the leaves fall, to get my own fried clam fix. Y'all are making me drool. For now, we're heading over to Kiawah Island off SC and will get in some serious fried seafood, fried oysters, and a few Margueritas to go with the steamed blue crabs there.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:15 PM

5,470 posts, read 6,287,688 times
Quote:
Isn't there a restaurant on the corner of Point Judith Rd. and (?). Can't remember the name, but it is a regular restaurant/sports bar etc. Begins with a "C". Charlie's, Champlin's ?
Are you thinking of Charlie O's? Great place!

Charlie O's Tavern

Old 08-10-2014, 09:23 PM

4,382 posts, read 3,182,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Isn't there a restaurant on the corner of Point Judith Rd. and (?). Can't remember the name, but it is a regular restaurant/sports bar etc. Begins with a "C". Charlie's, Champlin's ? something like that. Awesome fried clams there. Obviously haven't been there in awhile. There are other fried clam shacks on the road going into Galilee that are excellent. (Not George's, however). If you want to drive over to Tiverton, there is a place called Eva's. Fabulous.
Charlie O's is the sports bar on the corner of Pt Judith Road and Sand Hill Cove Road, but there is a a Champlins too. It's across from George's and is a great place for fresh seafood also.

(The place in Tiverton is called Evelyn's)

Old 08-11-2014, 06:03 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,528,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Are you thinking of Charlie O's? Great place!

Charlie O's Tavern

Yes, thx, that's right. Excellent food, always crowded.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:25 PM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,821,697 times
I have another place to add - it's not for the ambiance - well, personally, I like the clam shacks but thought I'd throw that disclaimer in there in case the OP is looking for a nice restaurant. If you love sitting outside and looking at the ocean, Monahan's in Narragansett is an excellent choice.

I was just there two weekends ago and, I don't know if I lucked out with a good catch of clams but they had, by far, the best biggest belly clams I've had all summer.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:41 PM

282 posts, read 575,103 times
Thanks very much, everyone! We've been to Flo's the first time we went to RI and loved it. We'll check out all the other suggestions--going next week, can't wait!
Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island