Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 01:27 PM

23,542 posts, read 18,687,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
The Italian Democrat who lead the effort to save the state's pension system has the name of Gina, not Frank. And, she's likely to become Rhode Island's first woman governor for her efforts. It's a good sign that times are actually changing in RI. As for Magaziner, his large lead in the polls speaks for itself. People are slowly waking up and demanding change. Even if they're not all that familiar with the agent who may bring it. However, they do know who probably won't.
I meant that with his management/foresight he prevented the fund from collapsing as it did in other states.

Maybe he's accomplished what he can with the treasury, but I still think RI could benefit with more of his leadership maybe in some other capacity at least (despite what some think he may "represent").

Last edited by massnative71; 08-31-2014 at 02:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
While Caprio is proven, many are looking for change in state officers and want new blood. Unfortunately that does not translate to the senate or house.
Which is my big question, especially with all the guys in the G.A. who DO NOT have anything to show for themselves like Caprio. You want change, it has to start on the local level.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:30 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,054,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Which is my big question, especially with all the guys in the G.A. who DO NOT have anything to show for themselves like Caprio. You want change, it has to start on the local level.
I agree, but on the local level Rhode Ilsanders will say "it isn't my guy who is at fault", even though they voted for 38 Studios. Current GA members will appropiate that $500 for the garden club or $1000 for the little league and expect to gain votes from that. It is a repeating cycle that's shows greatly disapportioned thought in the GA.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:11 PM

4,375 posts, read 3,190,229 times
Quote:
I don't know, his accomplishments sound pretty impressive to me. That RI outperformed most other states (inlcuding MA and CT) with its investments during that period, suggests that he would be up for the job again (vs. whoever this "Magaziner" guy is).
I could be behind, but I thought that advertising claim had been mostly debunked?

Seth Magaziner says state pension investments earned less than average during Frank Caprio's term | PolitiFact Rhode Island

At best, it did the same as other states; at worst, it did worse.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
I could be behind, but I thought that advertising claim had been mostly debunked?

Seth Magaziner says state pension investments earned less than average during Frank Caprio's term | PolitiFact Rhode Island

At best, it did the same as other states; at worst, it did worse.
"
So we checked that.
Monthly reports for Rhode Island's investment plan, compiled by State Street Investment Analytics, show that Rhode Island's performance was lower than its own benchmark in two of the four calendar years (2007 and 2009) Caprio was on the job.
It was also lower than the benchmark during two of the three complete fiscal years of Caprio’s tenure.
By that measure, it's Magaziner's criticism that underperforms.
In response, Caprio noted that the overall rate of return for the three fiscal years he served as treasurer was -4.63 percent, compared to the State Street's benchmark of -5.28 percent, which means that the state lost less money than the benchmark during the recession.
Magaziner's campaign responded by saying that the benchmark in the investment commission report "has nothing to do with Rhode Island's performance relative to other public pension funds.""

Old 09-02-2014, 06:27 PM

^^yeah, I know - you're quoting what I linked. I'm just not sure why.

Politifact upheld that Caprio didn't outperform other states. He was within one point of the median but RI underperformed in three out of four calendar years. During the three fiscal years when Caprio served a full term, Rhode Island underperformed during the first two years, one fewer than Magaziner claimed.

So if your advocacy for Caprio is based on your belief that "RI outperformed most other states", as you said, you might want to re-think that. But maybe you have other reasons for liking him, which is fair enough. What's he going to do for Massachusetts?

Old 09-03-2014, 04:54 AM

Quote:
What's he going to do for Massachusetts?
I don't know. If you are interested, try asking that in the Massachusetts Forum.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:37 AM

Quote:
I don't know. If you are interested, try asking that in the Massachusetts Forum.
I think it would be considered off topic and doubt that Mass voters know or care about the RI Treasurer race. I think it may be possible that the election could affect them; its just not clear how.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:43 AM

Quote:
I think it would be considered off topic and doubt that Mass voters know or care about the RI Treasurer race. I think it may be possible that the election could affect them; its just not clear how.
It will affect the many MA residents who have business, property, employment, family, or other ties to RI. Still, if it's off topic for the MA Forum; it is certainly off topic here.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:15 AM

Feel free to start that thread then if you think its pertinent. I would be interested in hearing their views but i don't feel it's my place to start a thread like that in another state forum when i don't live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: