Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 07:19 AM

18 posts, read 23,342 times

Advertisements

It depends what you mean about "walkability". It has a cute downtown with restaurants and shops, but residential areas can be spread out. For RI it is expensive, but if you do a search of Realtor.com you will find some homes in your price range. I have friends who just moved to Jamestown and they are very happy with the town and the schools, but the regional high school gets only "OK" rank. I think it's fine if you have a self motivated kid. Finding a home on Jamestown would be tougher- small area. And getting over the bridge for a daily commute I hear isnt always fun...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 12:50 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklineBiker View Post
Hi Quinn,
Thanks very much. This is just the type of on the ground information I need! What do you think of East Greenwich for walkability? How good is the regional high school that serves Jamestown? I would like to buy a house for $350,000 - want a yard, driveway, a couple bedrooms; and plenty of public transit, sidewalks, and bike lanes in town.

East Greenwich is very walkable, has restaurants and clubs right on the bay, many historic buildings downtown and in the general area. The Hill & Harbour area is very pretty just up the hill from the water.
As for the highway system, there is Rt. 95, but nowhere near close to downtown. You can get anywhere in RI from Rt. 95 to other route such as Rt. 4 in South County to the beaches and older pretty towns like Wickford, Narragansett, North Kingston, Wakefield etc.; and plenty of shopping areas in Warwick, movie theaters, satellite office buildings for the best physicians and surgeons from RI Hospital and Miriam Hospital in Prov. East Greenwich has the best of all worlds (imo). Resale of property in East Gr. has always been excellent and has always been a sought after area. Not a comparison at all to Barrington, however. Barrington is not walkable, very small and heavy traffic to get in and out of Barrington.

RI is so small, you don't have to be close to Providence, and shouldn't be actually, in order to have nice family oriented safe neighborhoods.

The best to you in your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island