Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 06:47 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
You use "I heard" as a statement of fact, for you and facts are as ships passing in the night. And I converse quite well, without denigrating people with "gutter," or using one's sexuality as a cheap, ugly, immature and homophobic weapon when losing an argument.

As to cheap alcohol, baby, I drink Sam or club soda. Unlike some people, a Sam doesn't break my budget:

As to your "plenty of valuable topics," I await the first of these.
Talking about having a difficulty with "facts". Come up with some better lies next time, these types are getting old.

Again, what is any of this topic to you? The only "vertical" you ever need to be concerned with is the number of steps back up College Hill after getting annihilated DT. For fun try counting backwards some night, I'd be interested to hear the results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 06:51 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Look at a topo map. I'm pretty sure there's plenty of hills with 300+ feet vertical with suitable pitch. It's definitely a wide open market. Providence metro area basically has no ski area so only competition is from northern mtns. Advantage of being closer is obvious. I'd open up a hill myself, but it's an obscenely expensive undertaking. You have to be a top .01%er Each lenko snow gun can cost 30k. It can take 15 of them for one trail and that's on a small hill. Do the math! Then you've insurance/build the lifts/heavy equipment to clear the trails, build a lodge. Millions and millions. The type of people that have that type of money and willing to invest in a new ski area are few and far between. Wachusett is a gold mine. I will tell you that. You might even draw some of the boston market if the mountain in RI is descent enough. Wachusett gets insanely crowded so some people might want to avoid that.
Yep money is the main obstacle. None of these smaller ski areas would be built today with current costs and other issues (and people more apt to travel further). And I think the biggest impossible today would be dealing with all the private landowners! That's kind of where I got the landfill idea, although it doesn't seem to be anywhere near capacity yet.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:10 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,395,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Yep money is the main obstacle. None of these smaller ski areas would be built today with current costs and other issues (and people more apt to travel further). And I think the biggest impossible today would be dealing with all the private landowners! That's kind of where I got the landfill idea, although it doesn't seem to be anywhere near capacity yet.
Most ski areas tend to lease land from state forest. Almost every ski area in Utah, CO, and most vt ski areas are on state land. Most vt ski areas are in the green mountain state forest. It gets people outdoors and enjoying the beauty!

Wachusett is a prime example. They BADLY need to expand due to crowds, but the tree huggers won't let them yet.(I'm all for environment, but worrying about a few trees being cut down for a trail is going overboard)

Also, the land on a ski area is not really ideal for building homes because of the steep slope. It creates all kinds of problems for construction that add cost. Some of the smaller ski areas in new england though are on private land and completely owned by the ski area. I think mount southington, ct is privately owned land, but mohawk mountain in ct I know is on state forest land.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:38 PM

4,382 posts, read 3,184,886 times
Quote:
Plenty of elevation to have a ski area with 300-450 feet vertical potential instead of the paltry 173 feet.

Because people in RI enjoy skiing(it's NEW ENGLAND AND COLD IN WINTER!) and don't like to drive a long way to get some turns in! Do you even ski?

Plenty of descent skiing in CT/MA. RI used to have a bunch of ski areas. They all closed as did many all over new england. NW RI gets more snow than the central part of ct where they have 2 ski areas and elevations are higher. Providence area gets about the same as central CT. Again, plenty of terrain to have a descent ski area with a couple hundred feet for a big population of people from providence/eastern CT/south of worcester to use! It would be nice. That's all I'm saying. Skiing in Ma sucks compared to VT, which sucks compared to Utah. It's all relative. People go to vermont instead of alta because it's closer. Period. VT pow SUCKS compared to Utah. But that doesn't mean VT should get rid of it's ski areas! It would be nice if somoene opened up a descent ski area in RI. if yawgoo can make a living with that mole hill in the warmest part of the state then other operators should be able to make a work
I don't think so. The owners of Yawgoog work their asses off to keep that place in business and offer more than just skiing. Is your complaint the height or the manufactured snow?

If success were such a foregone conclusion, you would think someone else would open somewhere, but we really have very few hills that are worthy of even considering and I'm sure there are reasons why they're less than ideal or simply unavailable - with NH and VT a couple of hours away, not a lot of people want to pay to ski a bunny slope.

But here you go - here are the ten highest hills in RI, all located right next to each other. Maybe you can find out who owns them and form a partnership!

Highest Mountains Rhode Island, United States

Old 09-15-2014, 08:52 PM

[quote=mikelizard860;36508989 The type of people that have that type of money and willing to invest in a new ski area are few and far between. Wachusett is a gold mine. I will tell you that. You might even draw some of the boston market if the mountain in RI is descent enough.[/quote]

It won't be, because RI doesn't have mountains. Wachusett is more than twice the height of the highest hill in RI - why would they drive here? No smart person would invest in a ski area in an area that doesn't have mountains or get snow but is only a few hours away from areas that DO. Maybe before the highways were built, but not now.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
It won't be, because RI doesn't have mountains. Wachusett is more than twice the height of the highest hill in RI - why would they drive here? No smart person would invest in a ski area in an area that doesn't have mountains or get snow but is only a few hours away from areas that DO. Maybe before the highways were built, but not now.
Wachusett has 1000 feet vertical. It's bunny hill(280 feet of vertical) is much bigger than all of yawgoo. I wasn't saying we could get something as good as wawa, but something in the 300-400 foot vertical would be a world of difference. Bascially double the size of yawgoo.

Simply not true and spoken by someone who I'm certain doesn't ski regularly. You can't compare a place that's "a few hours away" to place in your backyard if you're the type that likes to go skiing for an hour or two a few times a week. If you even ski, then you're a weekend warrior! Usually the type that goes for 8 hours and completely over does and many times ends up with injuries due to overuse(one last run!). Sorry, but give me a 2 hour session over an 8 any time. When you drive HOURS, a hotel and massive increase in expense as well as gas/time ect becomes the name of the game as well. Season passes start to not make sense unless you own a condo. Can't compare ski areas hours away that you go to once a year to place you live close to. Unless of course you're rich. The shutting down of small local hills has led to skiing become more of a top 1% activity unfortunately.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
I don't think so. The owners of Yawgoog work their asses off to keep that place in business and offer more than just skiing. Is your complaint the height or the manufactured snow?

If success were such a foregone conclusion, you would think someone else would open somewhere, but we really have very few hills that are worthy of even considering and I'm sure there are reasons why they're less than ideal or simply unavailable - with NH and VT a couple of hours away, not a lot of people want to pay to ski a bunny slope.

But here you go - here are the ten highest hills in RI, all located right next to each other. Maybe you can find out who owns them and form a partnership!

Highest Mountains Rhode Island, United States
I never said the owners of yawgoo mismanaged their place. I've actually applauded the fact that they are able to keep it open. My complaint about yawgoo is lack of vertical. I wish they poured all that effort into a place north of I-95 with a vertical of at least 300. They'd have a MUCH better product to show for all their work

"Man made snow" Is the same across the EC. It's not as good as the stuff that falls from the sky, but is an absolute necessity in new england due to lack of snowfall compared to out west.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Simply not true and spoken by someone who I'm certain doesn't ski regularly. You can't compare a place that's "a few hours away" to place in your backyard if you're the type that likes to go skiing for an hour or two a few times a week.
Well then, that place is Yawgoog. Or your backyard.

Most people wait until the weekend and then go for several hours.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:

Yeah no thanks. I'll take the few days a week over trying to blast myself a few times a year like "most people"

Old 09-15-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:

I love the people on here posting that don't even ski. On the internet everyone wants to an expert on something they know nothing about and be totally confrontational about it as well. There's really no debate here. Yawgoo is a joke at 172 vertical feet and it's a haul to get to wachusett for most of RI. It would be nice if RI had a ski area in area that got more natural snow and more vertical. Yawgoo's owners should relocate. They'd have a better product for people and probably make more money since a hill with more vertical would draw in skiers like me. There's no competition nearby. THere's a reason yawgoo has any customers at all. It's because of LOCATION.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island