Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 06:23 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,456,695 times

Advertisements

Honestly, I do wonder about the Brain Trust at Golocalprov.com. Most of their articles have spelling and grammatical errors, lack citable facts and generally tend towards the conservative/kooky side.

They've been chumming their Web site with the idea of plopping a soccer stadium on the land currently occupied by Burnside Park. Now, granted, the park isn't on the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites, and it's in need of freshening, but it's still a gem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLP
Two weeks ago, GoLocalProv proposed that Providence compete with Boston for the often discussed stadium for the New England Revolution. Presently, the Revolution play at Gillete Stadium, a football complex.

For Providence, a city which has not had a major construction project in a decade, the idea of a top-level pro-franchise has received support from economic development leaders and sparked thousands of comments, likes, and shares on social media.
Further headlines have trumpeted all of the economic benefits:

Quote:
"Providence Soccer Stadium Could Create 1500 Jobs and $2 Billion in Economic Impact"
Uh, ten games a year are played at home. The $2bn figure of "economic impact" is over a fifty-one year time frame. So, doing the math, that means each home game would have to generate $3.9 million in "economic benefits," or $196.00 per seat (assuming 20,000 sold seats for each and every game, every year, for 51 years*).

Of course, there ARE no data to support this assertion, so GLP stole the marketing hype for a proposal for a facility in DC and slapped a "Made in Providence" imprimatur on it and wrapped it in a bow.

Beyond the half-truths, who in Providence wants a 20,000 seat stadium (if it would even fit!) wedged between KP and the old train station? If you think this is a great idea, I have a gaming company I'd like to sell you.

* GLP does't say if this is inflation-adjusted phony math, or just phony math.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 05:15 AM

4,375 posts, read 3,191,670 times
I'm a Revs fan who is afraid Kraft may finally build that stadium in Boston, so I would love to see a legitimate Providence proposal. This certainly isn't one. The idea is preposterous.

One of the problems with the current location is lack of public transportation to Gillette. The train that runs for Patriot games doesn't run for Revs matches. A lot of Boston fans don't have cars and are always hustling for rides. So, Kennedy Plaza does alleviate that problem, but it creates more.

Season ticket holders from the rest of New England are still going to have to drive in, and tailgating is part of the tradition. The pictures show no parking at all. Evidently all the players, vendors, equipment; food, etc will be magically teleported in, like Star Trek!

The proposal isn't serious at all. I think someone drew this picture when they were high and was so proud of it they pretended it was an actual possibility. It's a good drawing, but all connection with reality ends there. And the article errs on one other point: Kennedy Plaza and Burnside Park are not disused. That's valuable public space Providence cannot lose. Can you imagine the mess this city would be in if PPAC, the Dunk, Lupos and the convention center all had an event simultaneously as the soccer stadium? WAYYYY too many people trying to shoehorn into a couple of city blocks!

PS: they play 17 regular home games plus friendlies, pre-season, playoffs. Let's come up with a legitimate PVD location!

Old 12-11-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post

The proposal isn't serious at all. I think someone drew this picture when they were high and was so proud of it they pretended it was an actual possibility. It's a good drawing, but all connection with reality ends there. And the article errs on one other point: Kennedy Plaza and Burnside Park are not disused. That's valuable public space Providence cannot lose. Can you imagine the mess this city would be in if PPAC, the Dunk, Lupos and the convention center all had an event simultaneously as the soccer stadium? WAYYYY too many people trying to shoehorn into a couple of city blocks!

PS: they play 17 regular home games plus friendlies, pre-season, playoffs. Let's come up with a legitimate PVD location!
This won't work. The MLS specifications for a pitch is 1.940 acres (345ft x 225ft); Burnside Park is 1.60 acres. Add the tiered seating and aisles and boxes and you just done blown into KP in a major, major way.

Why not use the land from the moving of the highways? No one else is much interested in that land, not in a way that reflects the interests of PVD.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:59 AM

171 posts, read 308,800 times
I'd rather have a club soccer team created in Providence organically. Start small and build up.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:03 AM

^MLS just added two expansion teams this year so Providence is out of luck in that. Little chance that they'd add another one so close to the Revs anyway.

The Revs are as much Providence's team as Boston's IMO and I'd be ecstatic to have them here. I have a multi-game package and came really close to getting season tickets this year. Having them even closer might tip the scales. :-)

Old 12-11-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
This won't work. The MLS specifications for a pitch is 1.940 acres (345ft x 225ft); Burnside Park is 1.60 acres. Add the tiered seating and aisles and boxes and you just done blown into KP in a major, major way.

Why not use the land from the moving of the highways? No one else is much interested in that land, not in a way that reflects the interests of PVD.
Yeah, I agree that proposal was unworkable and I tended to think they weren't really serious at all, just bitching about yet another Kennedy Plaza revamp - and probably mocking soccer fans at the same time.

Somewhere near the waterfront could be ideal, I just don't know if there's a decent shaped parcel of land from the 195 land. I can't think of anything that wide but I could be wrong. Maybe it could work in tandem with some other property though.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:15 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,589,364 times
Providence College is playing for the National Championship vs UCLA
Friday night. The game will be televised on ESPNU.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:36 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,054,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Providence College is playing for the National Championship vs UCLA
Friday night. The game will be televised on ESPNU.
and because of benefactors they are building a multiuse stadium, seating 2500, for soccer and lacrosse. Now if there were land and financing for such a stadium meeting the professional needs for both sports in the Providence area, I would fully be in favor of it.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
and because of benefactors they are building a multiuse stadium, seating 2500, for soccer and lacrosse. Now if there were land and financing for such a stadium meeting the professional needs for both sports in the Providence area, I would fully be in favor of it.
Is there such a thing as professional lacrosse?

I didn't know that - what's the nearest team?

Old 12-11-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Is there such a thing as professional lacrosse?

I didn't know that - what's the nearest team?
Aw, Gawd, please don't tell me you're one of those female SPORTS FANS! Ebbybody know that on a Sunday afternoon after dinner, Ladies should retire to the fainting couch and drink Sherry and discuss knitting with other Ladies, not sports. Well, half a blessing: at least you don't drink beer or talk politics!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: