Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 07:29 AM

3,785 posts, read 2,694,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
^ I think it's pretty clear that they have no intention of ever opening a brewery in RI. They lied, and they continue, ten years later, to lie. And "ACI Gina" can shove it, too. Shoot, we have have snowdrifts taller than her here on CH.
Oh, I don't know if they lied; I sense they just sort of gave up on it. It seemed like they meant it for a while. But the last update I can find is here, from three years ago:

Recent Progress on the Brewery

The lack of communication is communication in and of itself, you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 07:29 AM

23,549 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
You know, I'm totally into the traditions of this great state, and I sort of view drinking Gansett as a civic obligation. Isn't the best beer, but I want a RI beer -- I want OUR beer.
But it's not a "RI beer", wasn't that the main point of this thread? A good widely available RI brew is Newport Storm. Gansett, I'd put it just a tad above PBR. For lager I would take a Yuengling any day over it.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
But it's not a "RI beer", wasn't that the main point of this thread? A good widely available RI brew is Newport Storm. Gansett, I'd put it just a tad above PBR. For lager I would take a Yuengling any day over it.
Of course your must mean 'Gansett Lager when comparing with PBR...

Yuengling is trucked in from farther away and they are killing 'Gansett on price. And people seem to like it. It doesn't bode well for 'Gansett, particularly if they don't brew it here.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:38 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
Frankly Alfie, blaming Gina for lack of RI beer jobs after she's been in office a month is the same thing as blaming Obama for everything that's wrong with the country.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:41 AM

23,549 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Of course your must mean 'Gansett Lager when comparing with PBR...

Yuengling is trucked in from farther away and they are killing 'Gansett on price. And people seem to like it. It doesn't bode well for 'Gansett, particularly if they don't brew it here.
Yes I meant the lager. Rochester, NY; Pottsville, PA...is there really much of a difference?

I think a big part of Gansett's market is the nostalgia factor, or just the misconception that it's "local". I doubt if it would sell outside NE.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Yes I meant the lager. Rochester, NY; Pottsville, PA...is there really much of a difference?

I think a big part of Gansett's market is the nostalgia factor, or just the misconception that it's "local". I doubt if it would sell outside NE.
I know an old timer who's a PBR drinker from the West Coast. His initial impression was that it was flat, but he grew to like it.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
You're right! Rochester is farther away than Pottsville! But the difference to Providence is roughly only 70 miles.

Last edited by ormari; 02-21-2015 at 09:01 AM..

Old 02-21-2015, 08:55 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,055,284 times
Quote:

OK let me answer two posts. Alfie, get to Trinity good home brew and good food. You won't be disappointed.

Mass, Narragansett has a great following in Florida. I have seen it, bottles and kegs, in many bars, restaurants and liquor stores between Ocala and WPB. On both coasts. Many transplants from New England and it has also gathered a local following in Florida.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:24 AM

4,385 posts, read 3,193,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Umm, offices, yes. Brewery, no. They still contract brew in Rochester, NY

Narragansett Beer » Beers

I thought that Trinity was brewing the craft styles. Looks like that changed.
Sean Larkin brews most of their seasonals/crafts. He started at Trinity and now heads Revival Brewing Co and Brutopia.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Sean Larkin brews most of their seasonals/crafts. He started at Trinity and now heads Revival Brewing Co and Brutopia.
Thanks. Yeah, poking around the 'Gansett site yesterday, I noticed that there were references to Sean Larkin@Trinity, Sean Larkin@Buzzards Bay, and finally Sean Larkin@Rivival. Didn't catch the Brutopia connection. Have only seen it driving by...

Hmm. He seems spread a little thin. How's he going to head a local Narragansett Brewery?

When it comes to Narragansett's craft offerings, I don't really taste the craft in their craft. It's perfunctory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island