Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 01:43 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,440,399 times

Advertisements

Narragansett Brewery's president in June of 2005 -- nearly ten years ago -- that Gansett would open a brewery in Rhode Island. Creepy Gina stood on her soapbox (raising her height to 5ft 6in) blabbering about how Gansett "created jobs in Rhode Island!" Yeah. Ten jobs (That woman really annoys me and I hope the ACI has a women's ward, because that's where she is headed. She's a Buddy with a pedigree education.)

Any whom, uh, where the heck is the brewery? Anyone seen it? Anyone work there?

Look, I'm not advocating a boycott -- maybe I have bad taste but on a hot/cold/warm/sortawarm/sortacold day, nothing beats a really cold Gansett. Not even a Sam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 02:15 PM

9,250 posts, read 14,817,561 times
I do believe that if you pop over to 60 Ship St 02903 you will be there….

Narragansett Beer » Our Story

Old 02-20-2015, 02:30 PM

3,631 posts, read 2,627,941 times
Good question. Where is that brewery? Oh, they still contract brew out of state.

If you like an adjunct lager, their beer is passable. On a hot, humid day with the beer ice cold, yeah, it can go down nicely. Their craft-style beers are sub-par, unfortunately. Or at least the ones I've tried, which is most of them. The best of the mix seems to be the Porter (easier style to brew). I haven't seen the IPA but I am interested to try it. Don't they have Trinity make the craft styes?

They used to have a meter on their site, showing sales volume along with the "Buy a case, we'll build a brewery" sales campaign. They had a target volume at which they supposedly would build a brewery, and implored "Drink your part". That all seems to be absent from their site, so maybe they've given up.

Sam is not the metric for great beer. It's a standard, but not much of one. Trust me.

The good news is that there are good things happening with smaller scale breweries in Rhode Island.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I do believe that if you pop over to 60 Ship St 02903 you will be there….

Narragansett Beer » Our Story
Umm, offices, yes. Brewery, no. They still contract brew in Rochester, NY

Narragansett Beer » Beers

I thought that Trinity was brewing the craft styles. Looks like that changed.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:57 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,044,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Narragansett Brewery's president in June of 2005 -- nearly ten years ago -- that Gansett would open a brewery in Rhode Island. Creepy Gina stood on her soapbox (raising her height to 5ft 6in) blabbering about how Gansett "created jobs in Rhode Island!" Yeah. Ten jobs (That woman really annoys me and I hope the ACI has a women's ward, because that's where she is headed. She's a Buddy with a pedigree education.)

Any whom, uh, where the heck is the brewery? Anyone seen it? Anyone work there?

Look, I'm not advocating a boycott -- maybe I have bad taste but on a hot/cold/warm/sortawarm/sortacold day, nothing beats a really cold Gansett. Not even a Sam.
I agree Alfie, great beer especially on tap. It is disappointing though that they can't find brewing home here while at the same time micro brewers are setting up all over Rhode Island.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:08 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,440,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
I agree Alfie, great beer especially on tap. It is disappointing though that they can't find brewing home here while at the same time micro brewers are setting up all over Rhode Island.
Damned right. I admit, I probably don't have discerning taste buds. Give me a Gansett tallboy and I'm totally happy. but make it here; make it in beautiful Rhode Island!

Old 02-20-2015, 03:12 PM

9,250 posts, read 14,817,561 times
According to Wikipedia, I was partly right….
The lager and light beers are brewed at their brewery in Rochester, New York, while the bock and porter are craft-brewed in Providence, Rhode Island and Pawcatuck, Connecticut.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
According to Wikipedia, I was partly right….
The lager and light beers are brewed at their brewery in Rochester, New York, while the bock and porter are craft-brewed in Providence, Rhode Island and Pawcatuck, Connecticut.
Maybe Wikipedia has outdated or erroneous information ? As to the craft beers, the info about the craft brewing happening in Providence is what I said in my first response; if memory serves, Trinity used to contract brew the craft styles for them. After I regurgitated my memories for C-D to see, I went to their website--and posted a link--where they say their beer is brewed in Rochester, and doesn't mention anything about Providence. Come to think of it, I think it even says Rochester on the craft cans these days...

Here's what was in the print on that link I posted:

"Our beers are currently brewed in Rochester, NY at a brewery that’s been producing award-winning beers for more than 125 years."

I think when Yuengling moved into Rhode Island and Mass., it took a big gulp out of 'Gansett's market.

Last edited by ormari; 02-20-2015 at 03:31 PM..

Old 02-20-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Damned right. I admit, I probably don't have discerning taste buds. Give me a Gansett tallboy and I'm totally happy. but make it here; make it in beautiful Rhode Island!
If you like it, that's what matters! That, and that they brew it here, rather than have Genesee brew it for them.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:44 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,555,590 times
the good old days

In 1959, the company celebrated brewing one million barrels, and the company employed 850 workers by 1965. The brewery provided steady pay, good benefits, genuine friendships, and free beer. Employees were not only allowed to drink during the workday; it was encouraged. Anyone caught drinking a soda would be quickly handed a beer. Asking for a draft in a bar in the area would automatically bring a Narragansett. If a worker spotted someone drinking another beer in a bar, he would ask, “Why would you want to keep someone working in Holland instead of the people in your own neighborhood?”
AIR Rip :: Narragansett Brewery
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island