Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 08:26 PM

3,795 posts, read 2,696,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Another interesting article in Boston.com about Pawtucket.

I truly do not believe Providence should partake in stealing a baseball team from a neighboring city, especially one that is down on its luck (not that PVD is exactly Emerald City).
You've linked another thought provoking article that put a lump in my throat. It really is sad. I'm not a native so I don't have the memories that other Rhode Islanders have there; I think I went to my first game at McCoy circa 1999 with some friends who have long ago left town.

And as you say, Pawtucket is our next door neighbor. I continue to feel that the existing stadium is suitable for the club. But to my knowledge, this isn't the City of Providence actively soliciting the ownership to steal the team away from Pawtucket. This is an ownership group that intends to use Providence to extract more money from the business, both at the immediate expense of Pawtucket and probably at the long term expense of Rhode Island.

Would Pawtucket rather the owners take the team out of state? Would Rhode Island? I think this ownership is set on Providence because of the synergies it enables for them. If we deny them Providence and insist on Pawtucket, I'm not sure we'll have a team at all. We have leverage, but the lever is only so long. We can move hills, but not mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 06:57 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,698,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
You've linked another thought provoking article that put a lump in my throat. It really is sad. I'm not a native so I don't have the memories that other Rhode Islanders have there; I think I went to my first game at McCoy circa 1999 with some friends who have long ago left town.

And as you say, Pawtucket is our next door neighbor. I continue to feel that the existing stadium is suitable for the club. But to my knowledge, this isn't the City of Providence actively soliciting the ownership to steal the team away from Pawtucket. This is an ownership group that intends to use Providence to extract more money from the business, both at the immediate expense of Pawtucket and probably at the long term expense of Rhode Island.

Would Pawtucket rather the owners take the team out of state? Would Rhode Island? I think this ownership is set on Providence because of the synergies it enables for them. If we deny them Providence and insist on Pawtucket, I'm not sure we'll have a team at all. We have leverage, but the lever is only so long. We can move hills, but not mountains.
Not to try to demystify this, but it's business. These fellows bought this team to make money and staying in RI, moving to PVD on I-195 land, is their plan to make money. The question is, is the move a good one for Providence? Is it the best use of the land to create middle income jobs for the state? Since the land, in question, was set aside for a park, does this new proposed, multi-use "public" plan create more jobs than a public park? Probably. Are the stadium jobs middle income jobs? Probably not. Does the stadium create more middle income jobs than biotech or most other promising uses? Probably not. Are companies which produce middle income jobs going to rush in to be next to a small stadium? Why would they? Lots of questions?

It will be interesting to see how much city/state subsidy they ask for to make their numbers work.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:32 AM

^ Agreed, with this qualifier. Public parks are important to a healthy, vibrant city. Their impact should not be zeroed out of the equation, if you know what I mean.

RI is overextended. This should not make us too frightened to take calculated risks, because we need to grow. Providence, and all of Rhode Island, is a fantastic place with fantastic potential. We need to make smart decisions with our limited resources, in ways that catalyze further growth in our economy. And we need to keep these businessmen accountable to the taxpayers.

Last edited by ormari; 02-26-2015 at 08:37 AM..

Old 02-26-2015, 08:34 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
The new ownership group is headed by Larry Lucchino, president and chief executive officer of the parent Boston Red Sox, and Providence attorney James J. Skeffington. Lucchino will add the title of chairman of the PawSox to his Boston responsibilities, and Skeffington will serve as club president. Other partners include Rhode Island businessmen Bernard Cammarata, William P. Egan, Habib Gorgi, J. Terrence Murray and Thomas M. Ryan, as well as Fenway Sports Management (a division of the BoSox' parent company, Fenway Sports Group), and two limited partners in the Boston club and FSG, Arthur E. Nicholas and Frank M. Resnek. The new owners said that Tamburro, Schwechheimer and the PawSox staff will remain with the team.

The Boston Red Sox according to Forbes is the third richest baseball franchise in the country. They don't need subsidization from Little Rhody.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:44 AM

4,403 posts, read 3,195,009 times
I always wondered where Terry Murray ended up after Fleet.

I guess I still do!

Old 02-26-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
The new ownership group is headed by Larry Lucchino, president and chief executive officer of the parent Boston Red Sox, and Providence attorney James J. Skeffington. Lucchino will add the title of chairman of the PawSox to his Boston responsibilities, and Skeffington will serve as club president. Other partners include Rhode Island businessmen Bernard Cammarata, William P. Egan, Habib Gorgi, J. Terrence Murray and Thomas M. Ryan, as well as Fenway Sports Management (a division of the BoSox' parent company, Fenway Sports Group), and two limited partners in the Boston club and FSG, Arthur E. Nicholas and Frank M. Resnek. The new owners said that Tamburro, Schwechheimer and the PawSox staff will remain with the team.

The Boston Red Sox according to Forbes is the third richest baseball franchise in the country. They don't need subsidization from Little Rhody.
As august and rich as the ownership group is. Anyone want to bet they won't ask for something for the city/state?? And get it?

Old 02-26-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
As august and rich as the ownership group is. Anyone want to bet they won't ask for something for the city/state?? And get it?
Your first question is a sucker's bet! They've already asked for "support" in the form of land and tax "stabilization", i.e. corporate welfare.

Sports economists don't think there is a benefit to be derived here. Andrew Zimbalist, a well regarded sports economist at Smith College, was quoted in a Bloomberg News story back in 2013:

"If taxpayers are supporting a stadium because they believe it'll help their city socially and culturally, then fine," Zimbalist said. "If they're doing it because they've been sold a bill of goods that it'll be a boost to the economy, then no, it's not a good expenditure of funds."

Old 02-26-2015, 07:08 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Your first question is a sucker's bet! They've already asked for "support" in the form of land and tax "stabilization", i.e. corporate welfare.

Sports economists don't think there is a benefit to be derived here. Andrew Zimbalist, a well regarded sports economist at Smith College, was quoted [url="http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20131225/business/712259975/"]in sold a bill of goods that it'll be a boost to the economy, then no, it's not a good expenditure of funds."[/b][/color]
Uh, is this like, you know, a revelation to you? This has been true for decades. But nice to visit memory lane...

Old 02-26-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Uh, is this like, you know, a revelation to you? This has been true for decades. But nice to visit memory lane...
Of course it's nothing new. Zimbalist and other sports economists made the same argument back when the New England Patriots were threatening to go to Hartford, and when the Boston Red Sox wanted to build in South Boston. Uh, I just, you know, thought it might be relevant to the discussion of the Paw Sox, particularly since the same economic development arguments are being trotted out. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit down memory lane, even if you did not manage to find the trip relevant...

Old 02-26-2015, 07:40 PM

If the argument is the stadium should be built for cultural or social reasons and not economic ones, it should probably lose. Depending on you definition of culture, does a minor league baseball stadium really add much to our cultural landscape? We're talking Providence Rhode Island not Topeka Kansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island