Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2018, 10:39 PM

17,381 posts, read 8,962,351 times

Advertisements

https://twitter.com/NBC10/status/1040093562984194048
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 08:28 AM

8,453 posts, read 4,502,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post

The vote is hardly a surprise given that Worcester city government officials have been described in these terms:

“I think Worcester just really, really, really, really, really wanted a baseball team. I think the city council and the mayor and the city manager had a gigantic inferiority complex, and they wanted to create an identity for the city, and didn’t care what it cost them.”

Old 09-13-2018, 12:07 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,390,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
The vote is hardly a surprise given that Worcester city government officials have been described in these terms:

“I think Worcester just really, really, really, really, really wanted a baseball team. I think the city council and the mayor and the city manager had a gigantic inferiority complex, and they wanted to create an identity for the city, and didn’t care what it cost them.”

Where is that quote from. That's not to say I don't believe it. But a quote with no name on a message board is worth the paper it's written on.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
Where is that quote from. That's not to say I don't believe it. But a quote with no name on a message board is worth the paper it's written on.

The quote was from sports economist Victor Matheson who teaches at Holy Cross in Worcester. It is referenced in the Neil deMause article on Deadspin.

Link:The Stadium Scam Goes Minor-League, And It Has An Unlikely Ally

Old 09-13-2018, 06:13 PM

198 posts, read 150,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN_224 View Post
It's not unheard of with the Yankees in New England. Their radio flagship, WFAN-AM 660, comes in fine in Newport during the day. Same for their sister station WCBS-AM 880. Hell...I've even heard the Yankees on an AM station in Brattleboro, VT (likely WKVT-AM 1490).

New York even has a minor presence in Portland, ME. The new ECHL hockey team, the Maine Mariners, is a Rangers affiliate, one step below the AHL Hartford Wolfpack.

Despite me hating the Red Sox with a passion, I didn't mind McCoy Stadium. I've been to their Eastern League AA-level affiliate in Portland 4 times (3 of the later games as a Red Sox affiliate). They seem to draw fairly well, despite having a crap record this past season. I'm not sure how long their current Player Development Contract (a.k.a. how long they're a Boston affiliate) runs to.
fyi, 790 in Providence broadcasts all of the Yankee games and has done so for some 15 years minimum.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:17 PM

I have heard that baseball teams cannot encroach on another teams territory. Is that a 50 mile radius? I think that is why Worcester could not have a sanctioned minor league team as it is but 43 miles from Pawtucket. Will this limit, if true, mean only an independent league could be fielded at McCoy?

Old 09-14-2018, 04:15 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,167,830 times
It's 15 miles from the boundary of a team's territory, which is usually a county or two. Pawtucket's territory is Providence, Kent, Bristol (RI), Bristol (MA), and Worcester counties and the part of Norfolk county south and west of I-95, which overlaps with Boston Red Sox territories. Overlaps are allowed with the consent of team owners.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 24 View Post
I have heard that baseball teams cannot encroach on another teams territory. Is that a 50 mile radius? I think that is why Worcester could not have a sanctioned minor league team as it is but 43 miles from Pawtucket. Will this limit, if true, mean only an independent league could be fielded at McCoy?

Pawsox ownership would have to waive the territory exclusion for a MLB associated team (A, AA, AAA). It would be unusual for an ownership group to do so. The Pawsox owners may however realize that RI going forward will be a dead market for them once they relocate to Worcester. They therefore may not have the typical protection concerns. Furthermore, there are rumors that Lucchino and his partners may have interest in buying the Batavia Single A team (was taken over by league for financial issues and is for sale) and relocating it to McCoy and possibly getting the Bosox to switch affiliation from Lowell to Pawtucket. Such a move would save face for the RI connected owners (Ryan/Murray/Skeffington/Salem) who I would assume be more likely to take a more active role with the Pawtucket team than the Worcester team.

If a lower level team does relocate to McCoy, I am not in favor of massive public financial support for major renovations or a new stadium. As mentioned before, the Single A short season is just 38 home games making investment justification much more difficult than the Triple AAA level (70 home games).

Old 09-14-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Pawsox ownership would have to waive the territory exclusion for a MLB associated team (A, AA, AAA). It would be unusual for an ownership group to do so. The Pawsox owners may however realize that RI going forward will be a dead market for them once they relocate to Worcester. They therefore may not have the typical protection concerns. Furthermore, there are rumors that Lucchino and his partners may have interest in buying the Batavia Single A team (was taken over by league for financial issues and is for sale) and relocating it to McCoy and possibly getting the Bosox to switch affiliation from Lowell to Pawtucket. Such a move would save face for the RI connected owners (Ryan/Murray/Skeffington/Salem) who I would assume be more likely to take a more active role with the Pawtucket team than the Worcester team.

If a lower level team does relocate to McCoy, I am not in favor of massive public financial support for major renovations or a new stadium. As mentioned before, the Single A short season is just 38 home games making investment justification much more difficult than the Triple AAA level (70 home games).
and as pointed out earlier a short season team would not have to endure the cold April and May baseball season of the Northeast. Single A done right could still average 6,000 which in the long run would probably outdraw the Woosox.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:03 PM

1,572 posts, read 1,551,668 times
Hartford has the Yard Goats. It's the AA Eastern League Colorado Rockies affiliate.

Norwich has the Connecticut Tigers. It's the short-A NY-Penn League Detroit Tigers affiliate. It's also the closest non-MLB pro team to Pawtucket.

New Britain has the Bees. It's a member of the 8 team Atlantic League. The team is professional. However, Atlantic League teams are not affiliated.

That's the reason New Britain has a team at all. Hartford would have to grant permission to allow New Britain to have an affiliated team again. Obviously that won't happen. Also remember that Hartford's team was the New Britain Rock Cats until the end of 2015.

To be honest, New Britain doesn't draw at all. Parking was $5 on most nights. I attended at least two dozen games this season. There were a few games which had 500 people in the stands. None of the games were sold out in 2018. Our stadium has little life. It opened in 1996 and was built for roughly $12 million. A new video board would be nice. There's a few things in spots which could be repaired or upgraded.

The Road Warriors team of 2018 was the former Bridgeport Bluefish of the Atlantic League. They become the High Point Rockers in 2019. Their stadium is under construction in North Carolina. Barring any damage from Hurricane Florence, their home opener is slated for May 3, 2019 (opening the season on the road first).

There's no affiliated team in western Massachusetts. There IS the Pittsfield Suns, but that's a collegiate team. One of their opponents is the Bristol Blues, who play at Muzzy Field in Bristol (affiliated baseball was there until 1982).

New Haven once had the Ravens. They played at Yale Field on the West Haven town line. That team today is the New Hampshire Fisher Cats, the AA Eastern League affiliate of the Toronto Blue Jays. They're a win away from clinching the 2018 Eastern League title. They play in Manchester, NH (been mentioned a bit for territory when the Lowell Spinners were first brought up).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island