Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 11:12 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,748,853 times

Advertisements

I don't like the decision. McCoy is a perfect little stadium for minor league ball. Plenty of parking, cheap tix. I wonder where they'll end up in Providence...

Full Count » Report: Pawtucket Red Sox moving to Providence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 11:43 AM

3,586 posts, read 2,594,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I don't like the decision. McCoy is a perfect little stadium for minor league ball. Plenty of parking, cheap tix. I wonder where they'll end up in Providence...

Full Count » Report: Pawtucket Red Sox moving to Providence
Wow! That's sad news for Pawtucket.

Something has to go on the old I-195 land though...

Wonder who's paying for the new stadium???

Old 02-23-2015, 11:47 AM

I just doesn't make sense to me. McCoy is a nice stadium. It's well kept, structurally sound.

Why the added expense of building a new stadium? What happens to the old stadium? Do the owners think that by moving it 10 minutes down the road, they are going to have a better ROI?

Obviously the decision is money-driven, but I don't see how it will be a profitable venture.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I just doesn't make sense to me. McCoy is a nice stadium. It's well kept, structurally sound.

Why the added expense of building a new stadium? What happens to the old stadium? Do the owners think that by moving it 10 minutes down the road, they are going to have a better ROI?

Obviously the decision is money-driven, but I don't see how it will be a profitable venture.
I agree about McCoy. It seems like a waste of resources. And those that drive from Boston won't be happy.

On the other hand, it will likely be closer to the train station, which is a good thing. Closer to the center of the state, also good. Maybe park at Wickford Jct. and take the train in to PVD? They could increase the # patrons from South County slightly... You just know it is going to be downtown, which is great for train but not so great for auto traffic.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:11 PM

They already have the 2nd highest attendance of any sporting venue in New England, second only to Fenway. They rank (according to a quick Google search), 4th highest average attendance of all minor league teams.

I can vouch from personal experience, McCoy has been full all of the times I've been, so I don't think the move is to attract more attendees.

Closer to the train? Perhaps. But will it be within walking distance? Is it train then cab or bus? That adds to the expense for the patrons getting to a game.

Not sure what the rationale is, but it will be interesting to see how it unfolds.. Also, how long does it take to build a stadium? Where will they play in the interim? RIC? Brown?

Old 02-23-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
They already have the 2nd highest attendance of any sporting venue in New England, second only to Fenway. They rank (according to a quick Google search), 4th highest average attendance of all minor league teams.

I can vouch from personal experience, McCoy has been full all of the times I've been, so I don't think the move is to attract more attendees.

Closer to the train? Perhaps. But will it be within walking distance? Is it train then cab or bus? That adds to the expense for the patrons getting to a game.

Not sure what the rationale is, but it will be interesting to see how it unfolds.. Also, how long does it take to build a stadium? Where will they play in the interim? RIC? Brown?
Do you think Pawtucket is going to kick them out while a stadium is built?

Is this an empty threat/bargaining chip with the City of Pawtucket?

ProvSox doesn't have the same ring to it as PawSox. ProSox, maybe. How about the Providence Grays???

Old 02-23-2015, 12:47 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,091,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Do you think Pawtucket is going to kick them out while a stadium is built?

Is this an empty threat/bargaining chip with the City of Pawtucket?

ProvSox doesn't have the same ring to it as PawSox. ProSox, maybe. How about the Providence Grays???
I doubt the Providence Grays would like that, but they probably have no legal right to the name. I doubt they have to worry - no doubt the owners would rather have them as the Red Sox

This is awful news and a very bad decision IMO. Honestly, I hope the Yankees swoop in and move a minor league team to McCoy. No reason for them not to do it

Old 02-23-2015, 12:55 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,091,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
I agree about McCoy. It seems like a waste of resources. And those that drive from Boston won't be happy.

On the other hand, it will likely be closer to the train station, which is a good thing. Closer to the center of the state, also good. Maybe park at Wickford Jct. and take the train in to PVD? They could increase the # patrons from South County slightly... You just know it is going to be downtown, which is great for train but not so great for auto traffic.
My aunt is a season ticket holder and lives in West Greenwich. They are going to lose the older, suburban fans and let's be honest - baseball is not doing a good job of gaining young fans, urban or not.

It's weird that they won't say who it is. I still think it involves the Red Sox and that they want to build a mini Fenway, like they did in Fort Myers.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:56 PM

I'm sure they'll stay the Red Sox.

Do you get the feeling, like I do, that this has been in the works for a long, long time?

Richard Benck: Build baseball stadium on Route 195 land - Opinion - providencejournal.com - Providence, RI

Old 02-23-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
My aunt is a season ticket holder and lives in West Greenwich. They are going to lose the older, suburban fans and let's be honest - baseball is not doing a good job of gaining young fans, urban or not.

It's weird that they won't say who it is. I still think it involves the Red Sox and that they want to build a mini Fenway, like they did in Fort Myers.
What do you mean? They said new ownership involves Larry Lucchino, who is part of the Boston Red Sox ownership group...

Pawtucket Red Sox Sold To Group Headlined By Red Sox President Larry Lucchino | Pawtucket Red Sox | NESN.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island