Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 04:00 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,528,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Yes, of course you knew Sen Chafee's dad -- half of Rhode Island did, so what?

Chafee left the GOP because of what it became: a bigoted, hate-filled party of small-minded pervs, a party of fear-biting uber-elderly, a party that is declining and dying. When you next go to the center or the library to use the PC, research how many Republicans are still representing the Northeast. Used to be a lot. Now? The national party of clowns and radicals ran them out of office.

As to de Blasio (not DeBlasio), whom I'm sure you also know well and personally (now you're an expert on NYC politics), I doubt you've ever stepped foot in the city.

As a 'lover' of that collection of misfits and freaks of nature, it's not surprising you'd come here to stir up trouble. I bet if I posted this sort of radical drivel on the NC forum I'd get banned or run out off the forum.

That is the million $ question ^. Why it hasn't happened on the RI forum is mind boggling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 04:55 PM

3,773 posts, read 2,679,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post

If Linc Chafee's only and best 'platform' is to change the USA to metrics, he's one sorry dude. No one had to live in RI when Chafee ran for office, and changed parties back and forth until someone voted for him. He has a history of stubbing his toe and talking out of his posterior. The true native RI'ers know the Chafees very well; and his father (who I knew personally) is most likely turning over in his grave.

Evidently that is the only lame idea Chafee has had in the past 6 months; oh, he's been living in Canada. We get it now.

It looks like he did manage to espouse some other ideas, but in our gotcha cultcha, it's easy to latch onto one thing and take pot shots. It really is far easier than thoughful consideration.

Quote:
We heard the long-shot presidential hopeful also talked about terrorism in the Middle East and called for forgiving former government contractor Edward Snowden. But none of that's grabbing the political world's attention nearly as much as his audacious suggestion the U.S. give up its stubborn pride and stop measuring life in inches and degrees in Fahrenheit.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:07 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,528,410 times
^ Agree. He's got too much time on his hands, and is hoping to get Hillary's attention. God forbid this country gets saddled with the likes of him in any political capacity. He's a laughing stock on the news.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:35 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,454,820 times
Quote:
^ Agree. He's got too much time on his hands, and is hoping to get Hillary's attention. God forbid this country gets saddled with the likes of him in any political capacity. He's a laughing stock on the news.
What news outlet might that be, QC? Fox? The channel for gum bleeders, HS dropouts, inmates and fear-biters?

Quote:
We heard the long-shot presidential hopeful also talked about terrorism in the Middle East and called for forgiving former government contractor Edward Snowden. But none of that's grabbing the political world's attention nearly as much as his audacious suggestion the U.S. give up its stubborn pride and stop measuring life in inches and degrees in Fahrenheit.
Edward Snowden is an American hero. That Linc is advocating for him makes me respect Chafee more.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:41 PM

23,556 posts, read 18,651,084 times
Quote:
Chafee left the GOP because of what it became: a bigoted, hate-filled party of small-minded pervs, a party of fear-biting uber-elderly, a party that is declining and dying. When you next go to the center or the library to use the PC, research how many Republicans are still representing the Northeast. Used to be a lot. Now? The national party of clowns and radicals ran them out of office.
Am I the only one scratching my head at this?

I guess that must explain why the Democratic Party's numbers in the House are at their lowest levels sine 1949!

Keep living in your little fantasy world there, one day you will wake up to find that the party's remaining membership is limited to a bunch of leftover 60's pinkos in Berkeley, Cambridge, West Hollywood and the Upper West Side.

Composition of Congress by Party 1855

But don't let any facts get in your way or anything...

Old 06-04-2015, 05:53 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,454,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Am I the only one scratching my head at this?

I guess that must explain why the Democratic Party's numbers in the House are at their lowest levels sine 1949!

Keep living in your little fantasy world there, one day you will wake up to find that the Democrats' membership is limited to a bunch of pinkos in Berkeley, Cambridge, West Hollywood and the Upper West Side.

Composition of Congress by Party 1855

But don't let any facts get in your way or anything...
Of the last six presidential elections, Democrats won four of six. 66.66% of the last six presidential went Democrat and it certainly appears a Democrat will win in 2016.

The Dems lost the senate, yes, 21 Dems were up for re-election and only 14 Pugs. There are 34 U.S. Senate seats up for election in 2016. Of those seats, 24 are currently held by Republicans and only 10 are held by Democrats. Huh. Let's talk in 2016.

As to the House, the anti-democracy forces within the evil Republican Party (govs) have locked control of the House through gerrymandering, and I don't think the Dems will retake the House anytime soon.

But, we'll have the Senate and the WH.

Lastly, MN, Republicans are literally dying off. The party is largely old, feeble white males, and they are dropping dead in great numbers. Dems, OTOH, have solid support from good people, good Americans, America-lovers like Asians, women, gays, blacks, Latinos and Albanians. How many Republican Albanians do you know, huh, huh?

Sigh. If only Liz Warren were running. Did you read her book? Quite excellent.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:01 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,179,610 times
Quote:
If Linc Chafee's only and best 'platform' is to change the USA to metrics, he's one sorry dude.
Lincoln Chafee - My Priorities

Looks like he has more than one platform, and changing to the metric system isn't in the top four.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:11 PM

3,773 posts, read 2,679,806 times
Quote:
Edward Snowden is an American hero. That Linc is advocating for him makes me respect Chafee more.
I was impressed by that as well. I think history will judge that Edward Snowden's actions ultimately were on the side of our American ideal of Liberty. Kudos to Chafee for having the rectitude to advocate for Snowden.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:53 AM

4,382 posts, read 3,182,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
It doesn't matter because Hillary already is public about admitting that was a mistake.
She isn't going to lose, not by any chance, so the entire discussion is academic and
Chafee knows this. He's just looking for a payoff of some kind (like ambassador, etc)
once he endorses Hillary. I don't think he's anywhere near politically strong enough
or advantageous enough to be considered for VP. Is there a cynical bone in your body ?
To believe that Chafee is looking for a payoff, you'd have to believe Linc can deliver votes or donors or SOMETHING of value to her that she doesn't already have, and that's absurd. He doesn't have anything she needs.

Also, plenty of people run for office knowing they have little chance of winning, but it's important to them to be part of the discussion and influence policy. Plenty of people run because they think an unopposed candidate is a bad idea. Who knows. Maybe he figures he has the best chance for the nomination if Clinton implodes, or worse.

Cynicism is overrated.

Though I don't understand why the mod is allowing people to argue about national politics on the local relocation board. Maybe if I were cynical, I'd understand that!

Old 06-06-2015, 09:58 AM

4,382 posts, read 3,182,814 times
Quote:
Back on topic ... Chafee wants to changeover the country to the metric system. He'd really be screwed then, trying to count to 10 !

We
You think counting to 5,280 or 16, 32, 64 is easier than counting to ten? The metric system makes so much more sense and if we want our students to do better in the sciences, why are we handicapping them by teaching them the wrong "language" f tom the start?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island