Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 08:55 AM

14 posts, read 43,912 times

Advertisements

What are considered the best elementary schools in the state? Obviously, Wheeler and Moses Brown and the like are on those lists, but what about something under $15k/a year? Nothing public. Religious affiliation isn't important.

I understand this is entirely subjective and am just curious. If you send your children to a private school, I'd love to hear why you love/hate it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 11:37 AM

3,779 posts, read 2,693,466 times
Nothing Public? So no charter schools for you?

Old 06-25-2015, 10:48 PM

18 posts, read 23,354 times
It really depends on what you are looking for- the "best" isn't the best for every child. I've known students who have been miserable at Wheeler or MB- and flourished in a nurturing, less competitive school like Gordon in East Prov or Rocky Hill in East Greenwich. I also know families who are very happy with Mercymount, a Catholic school in Cumberland.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:04 PM

34,926 posts, read 56,924,455 times
I can't answer your question but I don't think you are doing your children any great favor sending them to private schools over a good public school. Private school will insulate them from the rest of the world. They will likely only meet children from families just like yours and not learn that not everyone is the same or has money. My kids learned a lot by going to a more diverse but high quality public school. They made friends with kids who were Israeli, Indian, African-American, South American, Russian, Polish, Spanish and others. One child was a "Best Buddy" for a kid from Iran whose father was a translator for American forces. My kids saw that they had a lot more than many of their friends so as they got older they were less materialistic than other kids. My kids also learned how to cope with problem kids in classes and how to learn in a group environment which prepared them well for college. You can't learn things like that from a private school. JMHO, Jay

Old 07-07-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Nothing Public? So no charter schools for you?
I was under the impression that the charter schools here were all lottery.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I can't answer your question but I don't think you are doing your children any great favor sending them to private schools over a good public school. Private school will insulate them from the rest of the world. They will likely only meet children from families just like yours and not learn that not everyone is the same or has money. My kids learned a lot by going to a more diverse but high quality public school. They made friends with kids who were Israeli, Indian, African-American, South American, Russian, Polish, Spanish and others. One child was a "Best Buddy" for a kid from Iran whose father was a translator for American forces. My kids saw that they had a lot more than many of their friends so as they got older they were less materialistic than other kids. My kids also learned how to cope with problem kids in classes and how to learn in a group environment which prepared them well for college. You can't learn things like that from a private school. JMHO, Jay
I live in Buttonwoods. My children would attend Park, which decidedly not a great school by even Warwick standards, much less state or nationwide ones. If I lived in a better district, it would be a consideration. I understand they won't be exposed to much diversity, I wasn't either growing up in Catholic school and I always wish I had been.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
It really depends on what you are looking for- the "best" isn't the best for every child. I've known students who have been miserable at Wheeler or MB- and flourished in a nurturing, less competitive school like Gordon in East Prov or Rocky Hill in East Greenwich. I also know families who are very happy with Mercymount, a Catholic school in Cumberland.

I'm just looking for a place that provides a good education, preferably a place that still has music and art classes, plenty of extra curriculars. I assume what most people want in a school.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:14 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times
St. Philomena School in Portsmouth is a great school. About $8K per year. 2x Blue Ribbon School. A lot of the doctors send their kids over there. It's a Catholic school, but there is a sizable non-Catholics (or even Christians) there. Check em out.

Stony Lane ES in N. Kingstown for public, another Blue Ribbon school.

Mick

Old 07-08-2015, 06:35 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Portsmouth (Priory) Abbey overlooking the Atlantic Ocean.

Alumni include children of the British royal family.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:17 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,899,623 times
OP wanted schools under 15K. Portsmouth Priory's boarding tuition for the 2015-2016 academic year is $54,630 and the day tuition is $35,860. Parents should plan on approximately $1,500 of additional costs for books, fees, and school-sponsored trips. There is also an additional fee of $875 for international students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island