U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 11:17 AM

2,903 posts, read 2,218,582 times

Advertisements

Time to get out of Providence and see more of the state. Was thinking of going to the Bristol Parade. Worth it? How crowded? When should we arrive? And leave? Or is there enough to see and do in Bristol (sans car) that it would be worth staying over Friday or Saturday night at a hotel?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 11:34 AM

4,405 posts, read 5,950,903 times
http://www.july4thbristolri.com/index.htm

It's CROWDED! People set up their viewing spots... sometimes a couple of days in advance.

They do start shutting down the main streets fairly early in the am. I'm assuming you'd be taking RIPTA? You may want to check their holiday schedule and any possible detours on the route.

I don't think you'd find anything too interesting to do in Bristol unless you like gardens and historic properties.

It is a little difficult to get around Bristol without a car. Do you have bikes to bring?

Old 07-01-2015, 11:49 AM

4,999 posts, read 4,985,411 times
I used to go yearly but then again I had friends who lived a block from the route, so could kind of basically just show up as they would have everything kind of in place already. A good number of restaurants/pubs in town, and Colt State Park is an easy walk. It wouldn't be a bad weekend without a car (although it would be better with at least a bike. The top of Mt. Hope Bridge is a beautiful spot, think it's open to bikes but not pedestrians (strange I know).

Old 07-01-2015, 12:18 PM

2,012 posts, read 1,008,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Annual Fourth of July Celebration | Bristol, Rhode Island

It's CROWDED! People set up their viewing spots... sometimes a couple of days in advance.

They do start shutting down the main streets fairly early in the am. I'm assuming you'd be taking RIPTA? You may want to check their holiday schedule and any possible detours on the route.

I don't think you'd find anything too interesting to do in Bristol unless you like gardens and historic properties.

It is a little difficult to get around Bristol without a car. Do you have bikes to bring?
How do people get away with setting up before 5 a.m. on Independence Day? Is it just lax enforcement?

Bringing a bike is a good idea. If you run out of things to do in Bristol or want more restaurants to choose from, you could bike into Warren. You might even find a gallery to check out in Warren.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.july4thbristolri.com/parade.information.htm
Rules and Regulations

Everyone should read the Rules and Regulations set forth by the Fourth of July Committee, as well as the Tips and General Information to ensure a safe and happy environment for all.
Blankets and chairs may not be set up along the parade route before 5:00 a.m., any materials set up before 5:00 a.m. will be confiscated.
Overnight camping is prohibited.
Areas along the parade route may not be roped off, taped off or blocked any way with any object.
Alcoholic beverages are prohibited.
Fireworks, Silly String, "Poppers", streamers, waterguns, and projectiles of any kind are prohibited.
Bicycles, skateboards and in-line skates are prohibited along parade route during parade. Anyone using any such transportation must walk along the parade route with bicycles, skateboards and in-line skates at their side.
Soliciting along the parade route is illegal unless a license has been obtained from the Fourth of July Committee.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:48 PM

5,396 posts, read 8,938,168 times
Doubt there would be a hotel room available at this late date.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:56 PM

5,314 posts, read 5,088,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Doubt there would be a hotel room available at this late date.
I don't recall there even being any hotels in Bristol, just B&Bs and inns. A quick search seems to confirm that, showing 7 options, but none "hotels". All appear to be sold out.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:59 PM

5,314 posts, read 5,088,232 times
A search on VRBO shows 1 property "may" be available, and Airbnb only has 1 in nearby Warren for $250/nt.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:48 PM

835 posts, read 815,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Time to get out of Providence and see more of the state. Was thinking of going to the Bristol Parade. Worth it? How crowded? When should we arrive? And leave? Or is there enough to see and do in Bristol (sans car) that it would be worth staying over Friday or Saturday night at a hotel?

Thanks!
Depends on if you like parades. If you do, it's one of the best.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:22 PM

2,903 posts, read 2,218,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Depends on if you like parades. If you do, it's one of the best.
That's the thing, IM. No, I'm not a parade person. I'm interested in photographic opportunities. Just don't think I'll get much there.

So I'll do the Providence thing at India Point, except that I'm not a fan of fireworks, either.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:28 PM

960 posts, read 454,724 times
I'd suggest Ancients & Horribles, but the 9 won't be running that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island