Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 05:14 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times

Advertisements

Curious any feedback on beaches in the area worth checking out? Someone mentioned East Beach you can get in for free if you get there way early, not sure how early though. Appreciate the feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 04:15 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Curious any feedback on beaches in the area worth checking out? Someone mentioned East Beach you can get in for free if you get there way early, not sure how early though. Appreciate the feedback.
Many moons ago I camped at Burlingame and loved every minute of it. We would drive up from Connecticut for a long weekend every once in a while. I hope it's still as good as it was back in the day. We used to go to East Beach and also a beach at Weekapaug (I think that's what it was). A great time. Used to wash off in the lake/pond at Burlingame (I don't think we were supposed to, but we did anyway).

Anyway I envy you and hope you have as great a time as I did.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:26 AM

Wow, hard to believe no one else has responded to this thread thus far. Maybe Burlingame isn't what I remember anymore?

Anyway, what we used to do, we'd get up early, have some breakfast and hit the beach for the day. Usually East Beach. We'd go back to the campsite about mid-afternoon, wash up, nap, read, play a game or whatever and then go to Misquamicut , where there used to be a little strip along the beach with attractions and relatively inexpensive places to eat, have a beer, etc. I don't know if it still exists, I hope it does.

From the article, it seems the little strip is still there, and there's the beach as well. Looks like Weekapaug is no longer accessible unless you own property or are a surfer:

Beaches in Westerly, Rhode Island | USA Today

Old 07-22-2015, 11:37 AM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Probably those of us who live here just drive to the beach and don't camp overnight?

Old 07-22-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Probably those of us who live here just drive to the beach and don't camp overnight?
Is Burlingame only for camping? Or can people just go visit and enjoy it for day trip or even a few hours? I remember it as such a gorgeous state park, a real gem.

Old 07-23-2015, 05:25 AM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times
As far as I know, Burlingame is as nice as ever. Here's a list of parks:

Rhode Island State Parks & Recreation

Old 07-23-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
As far as I know, Burlingame is as nice as ever. Here's a list of parks:

Rhode Island State Parks & Recreation
Thanks, Holly, yes, Burlingame looks as nice as I remember it, but the funny thing is I don't recall the beaches on the pond back in the day, maybe they were added later. I do remember wading in to wash off somewhere along the rocky shore, kind of on the sneak, but no one was watching. The water was great and the facilities were pretty nice, but we were pretty much roughing it. An old VW Microbus, a couple of small tents and sleeping bags. Hope to make it there again one day. I think RI has the best coastal areas along the Eastern Seaboard of the US, but that's just me.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:27 AM

Sweet thanks for the update. Yeah was thinking of East Beach, but pricey $20 still not bad. I know Charlestown has a seafood festival going on that weekend. Debating to go to Block Island or explore Narragansett never really explored the area before only to hop on the ferry.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Sweet thanks for the update. Yeah was thinking of East Beach, but pricey $20 still not bad. I know Charlestown has a seafood festival going on that weekend. Debating to go to Block Island or explore Narragansett never really explored the area before only to hop on the ferry.
I recommend exploring Narragansett, or even better, just get in the car and drive those winding coastal roads. Again, it's been many years since I did this, but we had the most fun exploring this way. We discovered all sort of interesting stuff, charming little restaurants, fun dives and snack shacks, inlets, beaches, ponds, etc. We came upon Roy Carpenter's Beach, which I found fascinating, all those little cottages plopped in the midst of much larger properties.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:52 AM

Wonder if anyone can offer any info up on Naptree Point? I tried to find online if open to the public or only town's people. Wondering how to access the road is it all sand do you need a 4x4 to get there? Does it cost anything to go? Is it worth the trip down can you swim? Is it a crowded beach? Heard there is a really awesome abandoned fort a mile walk on the beach want to check out. Appreciate the feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island