Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2015, 04:44 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,055,664 times

Advertisements

America's Most Dangerous Cities: 4 Are In CT | East Haven, CT Patch

no Rhode Island city listed or did I miss it?

Old 08-30-2015, 05:09 PM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
A whole bunch in MA. Boy do I miss that place.

Last edited by massnative71; 08-30-2015 at 05:28 PM..

Old 08-30-2015, 06:38 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
RI ranks low in gun ownership and is clearly NOT a dangerous state to live in.
Most dangerous crime here is residents of the projects and gangs shooting each other. This is usually confined to certain sections of the city and easily avoided.

'Pro-Gun' States Lead the Nation in Per Capita Firearm Death Rates -- re> WASHINGTON, April 24 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ --

Old 08-30-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
RI ranks low in gun ownership and is clearly NOT a dangerous state to live in.
Most dangerous crime here is residents of the projects and gangs shooting each other. This is usually confined to certain sections of the city and easily avoided.

'Pro-Gun' States Lead the Nation in Per Capita Firearm Death Rates -- re> WASHINGTON, April 24 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ --
What a bunch of BS. Of the 6 states with highest gun ownership (over 50%), only one (Arkansas) has a higher than average murder rate. Right now I'm enjoying living in a state said to have some f the laxest gun laws in the country, and ironically it has the lowest violent crime rate of all 50 states.

Want examples of disarming the citizens. Visit Chicago, Baltimore, and Washington DC. Report back to me...

Old 08-30-2015, 08:07 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,982 times
Because the gun debate is fraught with misinformation on both sides and I am interested in truth above all, allow me to rebut both the pro- and anti-gun arguments in this thread:

1. I've seen the list of "firearm death rates" by state before, and it's misleading -- if I were feeling accusatory, I'd suggest probably intentionally so. People who hear "firearm deaths" are going to think it's synonymous with "murders by firearm," but in fact the statistic includes suicides by gun. Now, suicides are definitely something to be prevented, don't get me wrong, but they're not what people are talking about when they bemoan the effects of guns; they're talking about people's risk of being killed by a gun. When you consider that firearm deaths include suicides, of course they're going to be lower in places with stricter gun laws and therefore lower rates of legal gun ownership.

2. The competing statistic about states with high gun-ownership rates having low crime rates is equally fallacious, though this one to me seems less intentionally misleading than just plain misguided. Correlation does not equal causation. Rural states have more guns; rural states have less crime. It's not the higher gun-ownership rates that lead to the lower crime, it's that low population density correlates separately with high gun ownership and low crime.

All that said, I'm proud to live in a state that's a great example of low gun ownership being associated with a low rate of violent crime -- though I freely acknowledge that that doesn't prove anything on a national level. (Delaware, the only state with a lower rate of gun ownership, has a very high violent-crime rate.)

Old 08-30-2015, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
2. The competing statistic about states with high gun-ownership rates having low crime rates is equally fallacious, though this one to me seems less intentionally misleading than just plain misguided. Correlation does not equal causation. Rural states have more guns; rural states have less crime. It's not the higher gun-ownership rates that lead to the lower crime, it's that low population density correlates separately with high gun ownership and low crime.
Exactly, gun-ownership rates have little effect on crime rates. That's all I was trying to disprove.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:01 AM

10,022 posts, read 15,665,421 times
This belongs in the General US forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island