Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 07:48 AM

156 posts, read 438,338 times

Advertisements

I also moved to Rhode Island from elsewhere (Boston) and on the whole very much like RI. Does it have its issues? for sure. But you have such easy access to so many great things it more than makes up for it. Providence is a great little city, with all manner of festivals, music, art, theater, food, etc. Parking is easy and cheap (compared to larger cities like Boston). The coast, beaches, quaint towns, Block Island and other areas can be accessed easily (again compared to being in Massachusetts, where getting to the Cape or Berkshires from Boston would be much more difficult). So don't let the two or three negative people (who post over and over again and don't even live here) sway you too much. Rhody certainly ain't perfect, but for those with a good job coming into the state it has a lot to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 07:49 AM

7,988 posts, read 4,646,652 times
The only thing I might add here is examine the school issue closely if your coming from an exceptional school system in another state. While EG (and Barrington) has what passes for a top public school system in RI, it may rate mediocre compared to what you're accustomed to. Others have found this to be the case, especially moving from the midwest to RI.

Coastal RI is beautiful, as is the Farm Coast of Massachusetts. While the Farm Coast is farther from Providence amenities, it does benefit from argueably better government, lower taxes/insurance rates, generally better schools and other quantifiables which may affect your quality of life. Westport & Dartmouth are 40 minutes from PVD and less than an hour from Green Airport.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:00 AM

9,269 posts, read 14,857,429 times
You could actually drive yourself nuts trying to look at various school ratings. The #1 rated high school in RI is Classical in Providence according to US News and World Report. Which is not to say "don't look at school ratings". But it's been shown over and over that it's not so much the quality of the schools as it is the quality of the individual family. Choose the town you like the best for multiple other reasons as well, whether it be in RI or MA.

Top Rhode Island High Schools | Best High Schools | US News - US News

Last edited by Hollytree; 10-09-2015 at 08:12 AM..

Old 10-09-2015, 08:25 AM

7,988 posts, read 4,646,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
You could actually drive yourself nuts trying to look at various school ratings. The #1 rated high school in RI is Classical in Providence according to US News and World Report. Which is not to say "don't look at school ratings". But it's been shown over and over that it's not so much the quality of the schools as it is the quality of the individual family. Choose the town you like the best for multiple other reasons as well, whether it be in RI or MA.

Top Rhode Island High Schools | Best High Schools | US News - US News
That Classical is the best public high school in RI isn't a surprise since it is the only one with a selective testing admission process. It is generally considered to be on par with the best private high schools in the state.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:36 AM

9,269 posts, read 14,857,429 times
Absolutely no surprise- it's been considered the best for a few decades.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:07 PM

13 posts, read 12,377 times
Thank you for all the info. Small world...funny your wife is from Bloomfield. It is a very nice area. Many things I will miss, however, it doesn't have the ocean or charm of New England.

I think I am starting to understand the two areas. As long as they are both good family areas with strong schools (understand EG is probably considered stronger) I will have to weigh the pros and cons of each. From a retail/school convenience I think I would prefer EG. But the taxes make it hard for us to get the kind of house we are used to in our price range. More for our $$ in NK - but looks like a good 30 minutes to the Warwick area where most of the main big box stores (i.e target!) seem to be located. But closer to the beaches...that is a plus. Lot's to consider.

While we love the Mattapoisett area..only in the summer. Too removed for me for long term living. The south shore (Marshfield area) is where we used to live. Really liked it and it would be in my comfort zone to move back there however, as someone mentioned, there seems to be a lot more to do and lot more convenient then trying to access things from the south shore of MA.

I agree you can drive yourself nuts with school rankings...we are supposedly one of the best but there are still many things parents complain about in our schools. It is what you put into it.

Thanks again...always open to hear other peoples opinions. And I'm glad they aren't all negative!

Old 10-09-2015, 02:44 PM

23,383 posts, read 18,533,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Some people actually do go to cultural events like the ballet and the symphony and major libraries. They might even go to a planetarium or a large zoo.
Some do, some don't. If they do, it is not unheard of to visit Boston (or Providence) from the South Shore for an occasional cultural event. Thousands upon thousands do every year. That is why people have automobiles.

Either way, the OP stated they were from the S Shore so they are obviously familiar with the area's amenities and access to cities, etc. They asked NOTHING on the topic of large cities, and btw Fall River and New Bedford are nowhere near the South Shore. Boston is much closer. Let's spend more time helping the OP with whatever questions he/she needs answered, and less time tossing out unsolicited opinions and the usual complaining about other posters.

Old 10-09-2015, 03:09 PM

Yes, I am very familiar with the pros/cons of the south shore. Although I've only been to the EG/NK area once...during the hurricane last week! So I'm not sure I have a real idea of the beauty of it. My biggest concern would be if the NK schools are going to be a good fit for us (over EG) and whether NK is really 30 minutes to most of the retail in Warwick. My kids are very active in sports as well. Overall do people like both areas equally?

I haven't spent much time looking into Barrington..but will. My initial thoughts was it was too much of a keeping up with the jones area and not welcoming to outsiders. Maybe I'm wrong?

Old 10-09-2015, 03:17 PM

23,383 posts, read 18,533,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mich2ne View Post
Yes, I am very familiar with the pros/cons of the south shore. Although I've only been to the EG/NK area once...during the hurricane last week! So I'm not sure I have a real idea of the beauty of it. My biggest concern would be if the NK schools are going to be a good fit for us (over EG) and whether NK is really 30 minutes to most of the retail in Warwick. My kids are very active in sports as well. Overall do people like both areas equally?

I haven't spent much time looking into Barrington..but will. My initial thoughts was it was too much of a keeping up with the jones area and not welcoming to outsiders. Maybe I'm wrong?
NK is a big place, but I wouldn't think that even from the furthest area it would be over 30 minutes to the malls/Post Rd. under normal conditions. NK and EG are different types of areas, some may prefer one while others prefer the other. Can't answer on the schools.

Barrington can be somewhat pretentious, but there are many outsiders there. Easy access to shopping in S Seekonk (Target, etc,), but E. Greenwich has better access to major mall stuff.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:46 PM

Can you tell me your take on the biggest differences between NK and EG? I'm not as interested in Barrington at this point. Thx!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island