Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2017, 10:10 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
I think the site on Newport Avenue in East Providence you are thinking about was a Save Rite. It was in the southern corner near the Star Market where the Aldi store now is. Before Save Rite, it was the location of a WT Grant store. I used to go there with my mom and younger siblings and eat at the lunch counter.

There was a WT Grant's in downtown Pawtucket, and they had a lunch counter. I don't recall a Grant's in East Providence. ?

Remember Mammoth Mart ? that morphed into Burlington Coat Factory; don't know what is in there now. But I do love Aldi's (here and other places, they are expanding like crazy).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 10:23 AM

8,499 posts, read 4,552,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
There was a WT Grant's in downtown Pawtucket, and they had a lunch counter. I don't recall a Grant's in East Providence. ?

Remember Mammoth Mart ? that morphed into Burlington Coat Factory; don't know what is in there now. But I do love Aldi's (here and other places, they are expanding like crazy).

I also recall the Grants in downtown Pawtucket. It had stairs at the entrance that went to the basement level where the toy dept was located. The building is still standing. I think there was a Woolworths next to it. Downtown pawtucket had a lot of retail up until the early 70's. Peerless, Apex, Cerel's, Roberts, Shartenbergs, Saltzmans, NY Lace, etc...It was quite a place before the rise of indoor shopping malls.

I remember the Mammoth Mart (later Kings). It is still a Burlington Store and I was in it just last week. That was an active plaza back in the day when it also had a Star market. Now it and the newer adjoining plaza on the old Narragansett Park parking lot (now empty spaces where there once were Stop & Shop and Ames) are sad with most empty store fronts. There was also an American Toy/Childworld store across the street. I think the only businesses that have withstood the passing of time in the same space in that area are the Brunswick bowling ally, Burger King, and Simpsons Pharmacy. Others such as Papa Genos and Uncle Tony's remain nearby in new locations. The old Four Seasons is still a theater but it is now a low cost outlet that only shows films at the very end of their runs. I have not been in there in many years and have been told it is dumpy as no real investment has been put into it.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:07 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:

I remember the Mammoth Mart (later Kings). It is still a Burlington Store and I was in it just last week. That was an active plaza back in the day when it also had a Star market. Now it and the newer adjoining plaza on the old Narragansett Park parking lot (now empty spaces where there once were Stop & Shop and Ames) are sad with most empty store fronts. There was also an American Toy/Childworld store across the street. I think the only businesses that have withstood the passing of time in the same space in that area are the Brunswick bowling ally, Burger King, and Simpsons Pharmacy. Others such as Papa Genos and Uncle Tony's remain nearby in new locations. The old Four Seasons is still a theater but it is now a low cost outlet that only shows films at the very end of their runs. I have not been in there in many years and have been told it is dumpy as no real investment has been put into it.
I was in the old Building 19 not long before they closed, man I thought I was in a homeless shelter or something. Very sad what has happened to that area in a relatively short timespan.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Correct. That Bernie's was on the old Grossman's site directly across from the location of the Boro. I can go out my back door and through the woods and come out at it without crossing any road.
When did you move in? Sounds like a house I may have eyed at one point...

Old 09-28-2017, 11:30 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Yes, for sure. Pawtucket, Darlington, and the close-by area of East Providence have really gone downhill. Understandably, it morphed over several years, but along the way nothing decent has replaced businesses in those buildings.

I almost couldn't believe my eyes when I drove by the 'old' FRAM Corp. in East Prov., it was so 'let go' that it was/is covered with vines and trash etc. Amazing, that was a huge thriving company and supported many families. FRAM was bought out by Allied Signal, and then Bendix Corp. whom I assume let it go to wrack and ruin there on Pawtucket Ave. in East Prov.

I owned some nice multi-family properties in the Darlington/Pawtucket area over the years. It is sad what has become of once thriving lower to middle income neighborhoods. I sold many properties in Darlington, Rumford, Benefit St., some Broadway neighborhoods to families; and was not afraid to go into any of them. Central Falls though was always a "different story'. I remember showing property in many areas of CF, and we (the lady agents) always took a male agent with us, that's how bad CF was in the 80's.

This is why I try to discourage out of state property buyers to beware of these areas that have done a total 180 degree turnaround, the 'urban creep' we call it, especially if they will have children in the Pawtucket school system.

Glad we had the good clean fun there when we did before it went downhill (which didn't happen overnight). Even with the bozos, and schoolmates, at the BOZO drive in, Attleboro. Fun memories.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
When did you move in? Sounds like a house I may have eyed at one point...

I am on Cushman Road within sight of Chemawa Golf Course and have been here for ten years. I bought my house very soon after it hit the market (had not had many viewings yet) so I am not sure it is the property that you looked at.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:37 PM

Part of the problem at the plazas on Newport Ave at the Pawtucket/East Providence line is due to Stop & Shop. Walmart supposedly looked at the former S&S site for a possible superstore. S&S however calculated that it was better to pay rent for an unused space rather than let competition into the area which would adversely affect their remaining stores. I have heard they refused to get out of their lease when presented that option. An anchor such as a super Walmart would have totally reinvigorated that stretch and enticed other retail.

If you think the Newport Ave stretch is bad, drive down Diamond Hill Road in Woonsocket by Walnut Hill. Almost every major tenant moved out within the last five years - the Walmart, Shaws, Lowes, Staples, and Sears spaces are all presently vacant. Several of them moved just a few miles away to a new plaza on Rte 146A just south of Park Sq.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:25 PM

103 posts, read 76,404 times
At least Newport is still nice. I do miss the old stores on Bellevue like Honore's, Caswell Massey and even the Almacs plaza with Cherry and Web. I wouldn't mind the changes so much if the influx of new businesses were increasing, but, sadly, they're not.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
I am on Cushman Road within sight of Chemawa Golf Course and have been here for ten years. I bought my house very soon after it hit the market (had not had many viewings yet) so I am not sure it is the property that you looked at.
That wouldn't be the one then...

Quote:
Part of the problem at the plazas on Newport Ave at the Pawtucket/East Providence line is due to Stop & Shop. Walmart supposedly looked at the former S&S site for a possible superstore. S&S however calculated that it was better to pay rent for an unused space rather than let competition into the area which would adversely affect their remaining stores. I have heard they refused to get out of their lease when presented that option. An anchor such as a super Walmart would have totally reinvigorated that stretch and enticed other retail.
Yes S&S is notorious for that. Weren't there actually 2 vacant store of theirs there (one of the very first superstores opened there in the 80s in the back of that plaza near the A.J. Wright)?

Quote:
If you think the Newport Ave stretch is bad, drive down Diamond Hill Road in Woonsocket by Walnut Hill. Almost every major tenant moved out within the last five years - the Walmart, Shaws, Lowes, Staples, and Sears spaces are all presently vacant. Several of them moved just a few miles away to a new plaza on Rte 146A just south of Park Sq.
Once Walmart moved, so goes everybody else. Diamond Hill Rd. is a weird location anyway, made obsolete with the growth of Rte. 1 in N. Attleborough and more stuff opening up in Franklin/Bellingham and of course Park Sq. Woonsocket is also a GONE city. People don't GO there, they LEAVE there.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:08 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,180,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark116 View Post
No, it really is. But, it's a serious topic to Rhode Islanders. All they talk about is "how it used to be" or for directions"go to where the old Almacs was, it'll be on your left". I mean people, look to the future, have a dream, think ahead! But no, the old ghosts linger and linger. It's decrepit and WEIRD.
Yet there are two other top threads about new developments in Providence, so I guess we do talk about more than "how it used to be." And almost every state forum here has some sort of similar nostalgia thread or threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island