Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2017, 05:09 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,183,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
I think the site on Newport Avenue in East Providence you are thinking about was a Save Rite. It was in the southern corner near the Star Market where the Aldi store now is. Before Save Rite, it was the location of a WT Grant store. I used to go there with my mom and younger siblings and eat at the lunch counter.
That's it; I think it was also Save Rite at Buttonwoods Plaza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 05:13 AM

Quote:
I have not been in there in many years and have been told it is dumpy as no real investment has been put into it.
It has changed hands a few times, with some owners better than others. It's currently run by Empire Cinemas, a chain out of New Jersey, and it's much better than it was ten years ago. I think it was the last owner that put a lot of work into it.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Part of the problem at the plazas on Newport Ave at the Pawtucket/East Providence line is due to Stop & Shop. Walmart supposedly looked at the former S&S site for a possible superstore. S&S however calculated that it was better to pay rent for an unused space rather than let competition into the area which would adversely affect their remaining stores. I have heard they refused to get out of their lease when presented that option. An anchor such as a super Walmart would have totally reinvigorated that stretch and enticed other retail.
I've heard several stores wanted to move in there - Home Depot, Lowe's, Building 19 among them - and Stop & Shop wanted to keep it vacant. They did the same with the Rhode Island Mall for many years.

Quote:
If you think the Newport Ave stretch is bad, drive down Diamond Hill Road in Woonsocket by Walnut Hill. Almost every major tenant moved out within the last five years - the Walmart, Shaws, Lowes, Staples, and Sears spaces are all presently vacant. Several of them moved just a few miles away to a new plaza on Rte 146A just south of Park Sq.
The Staples is no longer vacant; Ollie's Bargain Outlet just opened there a few weeks ago. The plaza has a new owner who is planning renovations and more new tenants.

Old 09-29-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
I almost couldn't believe my eyes when I drove by the 'old' FRAM Corp. in East Prov., it was so 'let go' that it was/is covered with vines and trash etc. Amazing, that was a huge thriving company and supported many families. FRAM was bought out by Allied Signal, and then Bendix Corp. whom I assume let it go to wrack and ruin there on Pawtucket Ave. in East Prov.
How many years ago was that? The complex was renovated in 2011 for Eaton Aerospace. Victoria & Co. has had space in the building for many years, too.

Quote:
...the 'urban creep' we call it...

"Urban" not a pejorative.

Old 09-29-2017, 03:38 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
It had to be before Eaton Aero took over; I know there was a big lab in the rear along with some engineering offices. I only saw the 'modern' front bldg. driving by which was totally grown over, awful looking; broken windows 'n all -- had to be either 2009 or 10. Very sad. Several friends worked there and one relative was a Director, who retired in 1998 after 42 yrs.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:44 AM

You're right; the former administration building on the west side of Pawtucket Avenue is vacant and deteriorating. It's the Fram complex on the east side of Pawtucket Avenue that was renovated. According to this Providence Journal article, the developer of the Union Wadding complex in Pawtucket wants to convert the building into apartments but hasn't been able to get it out of the hands of its receiver. Apparently there has also been other interest from developers looking to redevelop the property, but the city wants to preserve the building. Developer looks to convert former Fram factory in East Providence into apartments - News - providencejournal.com - Providence, RI

Old 10-02-2017, 12:05 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
You're right; the former administration building on the west side of Pawtucket Avenue is vacant and deteriorating. It's the Fram complex on the east side of Pawtucket Avenue that was renovated. According to this Providence Journal article, the developer of the Union Wadding complex in Pawtucket wants to convert the building into apartments but hasn't been able to get it out of the hands of its receiver. Apparently there has also been other interest from developers looking to redevelop the property, but the city wants to preserve the building. Developer looks to convert former Fram factory in East Providence into apartments - News - providencejournal.com - Providence, RI

Yes, that red brick bldg. across the street was one of the Fram factories where they made some, not all, of the filters. Engineering and offices were always in the original and rear buildings. Thanks so much for the article !

Old 10-02-2017, 03:46 PM

628 posts, read 839,990 times
Quote:
HAVE to sell it off? One of the reasons they are likely closing the business is because they CAN sell it and cash out big time.

Having previously worked at the HQ of a national retailer for two decades, it is extremely rare for most chains to own the real estate of their stores. Most rent their space. It is such a common practice that there are special lease management software applications to keep track. My previous employer leased in excess of 500 locations at one time. It is typically a sign of very sound financial footing when a retailer owns its location buildings and land.

RI still has one of the bigger national retailers headquartered here with many local stores. Ocean State Job Lot, based out of Quonset Point, has about 125 stores in the northeast. OSJL owns nearly half the locations. Ocean State is growing so fast that an addition to its warehouse distribution facility in NK is being presently built that will more than double the previous capacity.
Walmart owns all of their real estate DYK Walmart pays rent to themselves to save on taxes

and BTW Ocean State Job Lot leases the location in Sanford

Old 11-01-2017, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,522 times
What a neat site! I really do miss the Shepard Co. shoe sales and I have an incomplete bed room set that came from there. The Outlet store was my go to place in late August when I got my Summer earnings. They carried many of the fashion items from "Seventeen Magazine" and there shoe department was pretty great. I got all my Nina's shoes from there I would wait for them to go on sale. Still have 2 pair that I still wear on occasion. I remember saving like crazy to buy a sister a pair of D'Angelos, sort of spectator style with gross grain shoe ties. Think I have a couple of black sling backs from Shepard Co. I also have a couple of Gladdings dresses buried in boxes in my basement, fear they may not be in great shape. Now for Peerless I got my best coats from there sadly I loaned my favorite "Lassie" to someone who never returned it and has long since left my life. Just today I tried on a Winter coat from my closet a fancy dress coat that still fits perfectly, a bit too dressy, but I think I will just wear it anyway this Winter cause hell it is better quality than what hangs on racks today and I am tired of "wash and wear" type coats that have been more practical over the last too many years. Loved Providence at Christmas. It was like a dream. All the department store windows, T.W. Rounds, Tilden Thurber, Morse shoes for cheaper shoes. Then there was a shoe store gone many decades ago "Foot Health Shoes Store" and the nice man who waited on me as a kid, Mr. Booth. I'd always beg to go to the "White Castle" after the shoe store. It smelled so great! If we went to the city on a Saturday we'd store at Korbs Bakery and Miller Deli on the way home to Seekonk. Thanks for everyone's sharing

Old 11-05-2017, 02:13 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,722,072 times
Did Schartner Farms ever reopen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island