Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 04:23 PM

401 posts, read 331,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fakerasta View Post
We moved to Lonsdale and Main in 1982-1985 just before the 80's music explosion. NHD Hardware was there the whole time and it was a busy store. Me and my brother use to love going in there to buy tools. I use to watch I95 and Amtrak trains pass by. There was no Zayre there, it was in Providence where the Walmart is now, near the post office. I've driven up to Mississippi a few times and still take that exit as a finish where NHD use to be.

Is School House Candy still active?
OMG I remember that one! I temped there when I was in college in the late '70s! I don't think it's still there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 05:19 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,528,410 times
Quote:
We moved to Lonsdale and Main in 1982-1985 just before the 80's music explosion. NHD Hardware was there the whole time and it was a busy store. Me and my brother use to love going in there to buy tools. I use to watch I95 and Amtrak trains pass by. There was no Zayre there, it was in Providence where the Walmart is now, near the post office. I've driven up to Mississippi a few times and still take that exit as a finish where NHD use to be.

Do you mean driven up from Mississippi ? Sometimes I drive up from NC, nice ride up Rt. 81 through the Shenandoah Valley, VA, thru Scranton etc. ... except when I get the pleasure of going over the Tappan Zee Bridge thru New Yawk. That is a long ride from and to Mississippi from Rhody.

Some of my classmates used to work after school at School House Candy; it was like a 'sweat shop'. I worked at Coats Field in Lonsdale after school and weekends for awhile. The odor of their hot dog counter and the popcorn machine was difficult to get rid of !

A neighbor of ours managed that Zayre store for years when it was on Lonsdale Ave, after Coats Field went out of business.

Does anyone remember the Livermore & Knight Co. and the Bank Litho Co. on Mineral Spring Ave. ? Bank Litho used to print the "Green Stamps". All gone now with so many other generational 'landmarks'.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:31 PM

198 posts, read 150,659 times
Quote:

I think that building with the NHD was originally a carbarn. I remember it with a Stop and Shop and a King Corn Stamp redemption store next to it. It was also a New York Lace Store.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,414 times
One thing driving me crazy was remembering an old restaurant in Garden City I used to visit with my family during the 1980's and early 90's - it was a place that had brunch and in the middle of the place was a bar with a giant old game machine that you'd put quarters in to play - all the games looked about ten years old at least even then! Anybody remember the name of it? I believe it had more than one location but not sure.

DG's Arcade brings back so many great memories! Loved that place, was there at least two hours once a week.

Old 07-10-2019, 04:05 PM

3 posts, read 3,032 times
Default A few more vanished places

The Cinerama on Hope Street in Providence
The Dalton Theater on Newport Ave in Pawtucket
David's Pot Belly restaurant on Canal Street across from Throop Alley in Providence
Penguin's frozen yogurt on Thayer Street, Prov., 1st place I ever had frozen yogurt.

Places I'm trying to remember the name of:
Portuguese bakery in the Fox Point end of Wickenden St, near East Side Elementary
The big record store on North Main St near Cypress St?
A big toy store across from the Sears on North Main
The roller rink out near TF Greene -- wonderful old-time place. My mom and I went skating there a lot.

Great thread!

Old 07-10-2019, 04:28 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,528,410 times
[quote=Curseyoukhan;55636421]The Cinerama on Hope Street in Providence [color="Navy"]I believe it was previously the AVON Cinema, nice little theater/.COLOR]Ch

The Dalton Theater on Newport Ave in Pawtucket Sure do. I waited on the food counter at Chelo's on the opposite corner during school/college. When the movie(s) let out, it was gangbusters at Chelo's for steak sandwiches. And decent tips. Obviously I grew up in Darlington.

David's Pot Belly restaurant on Canal Street across from Throop Alley in Providence Not a clue.
Penguin's frozen yogurt on Thayer Street, Prov., 1st place I ever had frozen yogurt. Not a clue there either.
How about Sullivan's Bowling Alley on North Main? great spot. And they also owned Sullivan's Steak House across the street. I dated Danny Sullivan for quite a few years, were engaged for awhile also; and my 'group' also hung around with his brother, Eddie, who, unfortunately was killed in an accident in New Hampshire in his early or mid '20's, can't recall. What a shame, such a nice guy.

In the same area on No. Main, who remembers Murray's when it was a discount store, and we used to go in there looking for good prices on jewelry. I cannot recall the places below, however. I grad'd from high school in 1961 when Pawtucket only had one high school.
Great post -- carry on y'all.

Places I'm trying to remember the name of:
Portuguese bakery in the Fox Point end of Wickenden St, near East Side Elementary
A big toy store across from the Sears on North Main
The roller rink out near TF Greene -- wonderful old-time place. My mom and I went skating there a lot.

Old 07-10-2019, 04:40 PM

3 posts, read 3,032 times
[quote=QuilterChick;55636597]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curseyoukhan View Post
The Cinerama on Hope Street in Providence [color="Navy"]I believe it was previously the AVON Cinema, nice little theater/.COLOR]Ch

Nope. The Avon is on Thayer St. and is still very much in business. The Cinerama was on Hope St., near Rochambeau.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:01 PM

17,664 posts, read 9,148,339 times
Quote:
Nope. The Avon is on Thayer St. and is still very much in business. The Cinerama was on Hope St., near Rochambeau.
Yep, the Avon is alive and well. Cinerama was where CVS is now - on Hope between 4th and Lauriston.

Street view of former Cinerama: https://goo.gl/maps/nGhLfgY8URskzGUE8

Old 07-10-2019, 05:09 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,179,610 times
Quote:
The Cinerama on Hope Street in Providence
The Dalton Theater on Newport Ave in Pawtucket
Darlton

Quote:
Skippy White’s?

Old 07-10-2019, 05:10 PM

17,664 posts, read 9,148,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
In the same area on No. Main, who remembers Murray's when it was a discount store, and we used to go in there looking for good prices on jewelry.
I remember Murray's. Next to where Gregg's is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island