Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 06:18 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times

Advertisements

^^ Ahhh yes. And speaking of Sullivan's Bowling on No. Main St., the Sullivan family also owned Sullivan's Steak House across the street.

Adding to ten pin lanes: East Providence, a left off Newport Av. heading toward Rumford (can't recall the name) but we bowled there on leagues in the 70's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 07:43 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,552,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post

Adding to ten pin lanes: East Providence, a left off Newport Av. heading toward Rumford (can't recall the name) but we bowled there on leagues in the 70's.

East Providence Lanes on Newport Avenue is still going strong (I seem to recall it may have once had Brunswick in its name). While the stores in that plaza have changed names many times (WT Grant, Save Rite, Ocean State Job Lot, Aldi, Star Market, Mammoth Mart, King's, Burlington Coat factory), it remains a bowling alley.

Since you seem to hail from the Pawtucket area, do you remember the two bowling places across the street from one another on Central Ave by the old Newport Creamery and old fire station (Hose Co #6). I think it was Al's on the fire station side and Darlington Lanes on the NC side. These were actually a short distance down from the original home of another place listed above (Apex) that was also on Central Ave.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
East Providence Lanes on Newport Avenue is still going strong (I seem to recall it may have once had Brunswick in its name). While the stores in that plaza have changed names many times (WT Grant, Save Rite, Ocean State Job Lot, Aldi, Star Market, Mammoth Mart, King's, Burlington Coat factory), it remains a bowling alley.

Since you seem to hail from the Pawtucket area, do you remember the two bowling places across the street from one another on Central Ave by the old Newport Creamery and old fire station (Hose Co #6). I think it was Al's on the fire station side and Darlington Lanes on the NC side. These were actually a short distance down from the original home of another place listed above (Apex) that was also on Central Ave.

Yes, I grew up in Darlington in "Pinecrest". The alleys across from Hose Co. 6 as I recall were duckpins, was that Al's?, and we bowled there sometimes too; Newport Creamery was on the same side of Central Av. I don't remember a bowling alley on the fire station side though; I do remember the first Apex ... before Apex built a larger store downtown. I remember several stores downtown Pawtucket too: Peerless, Shartenbergs's, McDevitt's, Robert's Children's Store. I remember Mammoth Mart, and I think that was the only store there at the time, and it morphed into Burlington Coat. There was a horrific murder in the parking lot of Mammoth Mart, can't recall the year, 60's maybe? My uncle was Chief of Detectives in Pawt. and arrested the guy in the Darlton Theater after a manhunt.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:31 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,053,903 times
Quote:
^^ Ahhh yes. And speaking of Sullivan's Bowling on No. Main St., the Sullivan family also owned Sullivan's Steak House across the street.

Thanks for the reminder of Sullivan's Steak House which became the Ground Round.

So with that; Winkler's Steak House (down an alley in downtown Providence) , Johnson's Hummocks (Allens Ave in Providence)

Old 01-21-2016, 09:36 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,053,903 times
Quote:
Yes, I grew up in Darlington in "Pinecrest". The alleys across from Hose Co. 6 as I recall were duckpins, was that Al's?, and we bowled there sometimes too; Newport Creamery was on the same side of Central Av. I don't remember a bowling alley on the fire station side though; I do remember the first Apex ... before Apex built a larger store downtown. I remember several stores downtown Pawtucket too: Peerless, Shartenbergs's, McDevitt's, Robert's Children's Store. I remember Mammoth Mart, and I think that was the only store there at the time, and it morphed into Burlington Coat. There was a horrific murder in the parking lot of Mammoth Mart, can't recall the year, 60's maybe? My uncle was Chief of Detectives in Pawt. and arrested the guy in the Darlton Theater after a manhunt.
ok, Pawtucket people, was it first Stop and Shop with the King Korn Stamp redemption store next to it on Lonsdale Ave/Main Ave or was it first New York Lace Store?

Old 01-21-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
ok, Pawtucket people, was it first Stop and Shop with the King Korn Stamp redemption store next to it on Lonsdale Ave/Main Ave or was it first New York Lace Store?

I believe it was NY Lace Store. Was it King Korn stamps, or S&H Green stamps ? After NY Lace moved out it became Nyanza. One of our neighbors managed the NY Lace store, and then managed the Nyanza.

After that, didn't Coro jewelry move in there ?

In the Lonsdale/Main area, there was also the Pierce Chevrolet dealership; and just up the street from that was a 'party/joke' shop* next to the old cemetery, and the street branched off as Mineral Spring Av. *Can't recall the name of that one, it was always chock full of good 'stuff' for Halloween, etc.; it may have burned down in a fire within the last 10 years or so.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:29 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,180,198 times
Quote:
Chips/Sullivans (Providence)
That's actually in Pawtucket. The final name of the place was Down Under Duckpin.

I remember going there once with a high school friend from Massachusetts. When we pulled up he asked how we were going to go bowling in a phone booth. Of course I told him it was because Duckpins were smaller.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
In the Lonsdale/Main area, there was also the Pierce Chevrolet dealership; and just up the street from that was a 'party/joke' shop* next to the old cemetery, and the street branched off as Mineral Spring Av. *Can't recall the name of that one, it was always chock full of good 'stuff' for Halloween, etc.; it may have burned down in a fire within the last 10 years or so.
Morris Novelty. It was previously located on Pine Street in what's now the Slater Cotton Mill apartments. The building on Main Street burned down in 2011.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
That's going back before my time. I remember it being an NHD.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
That's actually in Pawtucket. The final name of the place was Down Under Duckpin.

I remember going there once with a high school friend from Massachusetts. When we pulled up he asked how we were going to go bowling in a phone booth. Of course I told him it was because Duckpins were smaller.

That's right, it was in Pawtucket, close to the city line.

You may not remember the drive-in down below then? I believe that is where the Bonanza bus terminal is. For a long time they still had the speakers in the ground. Loved the drive-ins. Rustic in No. Smithfield might have been one of the last to fold, not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island