Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 09:42 AM

8,497 posts, read 4,558,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallesillob View Post
We may have just changed our trip to come in March instead of July. Staying in Providence. Do we need to rent a car?

If you planned to stay just in Providence, you would not need a car. If you plan multiple trips to Woonsocket, N Smithfield, Lincoln, and Cumberland to explore the area, I would strongly suggest renting a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 09:49 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallesillob View Post
We may have just changed our trip to come in March instead of July. Staying in Providence. Do we need to rent a car?
Unless you're staying in central Providence and plan on limiting your trip to downtown, the East Side and Federal Hill, I would strongly recommend renting a car.

Though I'd much rather be in Rhode Island in July than in March, if you're planning on relocating here from the South, seeing what it's like in March is not a bad idea.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:54 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
^^ Impossible to view any area and search for homes using the bus lines for crying out loud. It's simply common sense, even if you're local. The OP should rely on their friends (for advice) who actually live in northern RI.

Last edited by QuilterChick; 01-16-2016 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: Additional word

Old 01-16-2016, 10:15 AM

3,785 posts, read 2,693,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
^^ Impossible to view any area and search for homes using the bus lines for crying out loud. It's simply common sense, even if you're local. The OP should rely on their friends who actually live in northern RI.
Well, no it is not impossible, just time consuming. I certainly did when I was in college.

I suggested a car would make exploring the area faster and that's what I would do if I were visiting a place for a short period of time. (well, not if I were in Boston, New York, Montreal, but Woonsocket, North Smithfield, Lincoln, Cumberland, etc. are hardly cosmopolitan). I don't think the purpose of their trip in March is necessarily to find a home, but to explore the area. They said they were coming to visit and explore. They changed the timeline from July to March so it seems pretty fluid.

But the OP also expressed some concern about wintry conditions, and is unlikely to have much winter driving experience. That they changed the trip to March brings the very real possibility of snow.

They also asked whether they should rent a car though they have friends in the area. Did it ever occur to you that maybe they would take public transport to their friend's place, and their friend would drive them around? The OP didn't give an itinerary.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:41 AM

41 posts, read 66,644 times
Lol we will rent a car so we can get around and not have to wait on my friend who had to work. We are looking to stay at the Omni in downtown providence. We know there may be a chance for snow and that doesn't bother us. It would be good to see actually. We aren't looking for a place to stay during this trip, we just want to relax and enjoy spending time there for a week and explore. Also a place to live isn't a big concern bc my friend that lives there owns a rental property that she's already agreed to let us rent. Thanks so much for all the info y'all really have been great. Keep it coming!

Old 01-16-2016, 03:27 PM

822 posts, read 857,351 times
I wouldn't say Woonsocket is a Horrible place, but if your gonna move from that far away, there are far better places where you can live. And definately get a car.

Old 01-16-2016, 05:05 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,054,996 times
BTW, welcome to Rhode Island and bring barbecue with you.

Old 01-16-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
BTW, welcome to Rhode Island and bring barbecue with you.
YES! we need some good BBQ around here

Old 01-16-2016, 05:54 PM

41 posts, read 66,644 times
Ha! Unfortunately my BBQ cooking skills are lacking unless it's chicken.so you're saying that Rhode Island is lacking in BBQ places.. Hmmm business opportunity maybe?

Old 01-16-2016, 05:59 PM

there are some fantastic food options in RI .. unfortnately BBQ is not one of them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island