Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 12:40 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,561,677 times

Advertisements

If you are into biking or like to walk the dogs, the area you are looking at has a great bike path that is now 11.6 miles with just three street crossings. The paved off road Blackstone River Bikeway extends from Cumberland (near the border with Central Falls) into Woonsocket. It runs along the Blackstone River and Canal. In some instances, the path is over the original canal towpath which dates back to the 1820's.

Blackstone River Bikeway - Rhode Island Rhode Island Department of Transportation

Photo Link (photo: path runs across the small bridge below the Rte 116 bridge between Lincoln and Cumberland):
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/700/2...c5f43094_c.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 03:29 PM

4,393 posts, read 3,195,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
^^ Impossible to view any area and search for homes using the bus lines for crying out loud. It's simply common sense, even if you're local.

Which is why everyone told her to rent a car. What's the problem here? Fake outrage.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:12 PM

41 posts, read 66,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
If you are into biking or like to walk the dogs, the area you are looking at has a great bike path that is now 11.6 miles with just three street crossings. The paved off road Blackstone River Bikeway extends from Cumberland (near the border with Central Falls) into Woonsocket. It runs along the Blackstone River and Canal. In some instances, the path is over the original canal towpath which dates back to the 1820's.

Blackstone River Bikeway - Rhode Island Rhode Island Department of Transportation

Photo Link (photo: path runs across the small bridge below the Rte 116 bridge between Lincoln and Cumberland):
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/700/2...c5f43094_c.jpg
That actually sounds pretty cool!

Old 01-17-2016, 04:36 PM

3,791 posts, read 2,696,474 times
^It is. It's beautiful along the river. It is my second favorite RI bike path, after the East Bay Bike Path. The Blackstone path has the advantage that it has fewer street crossings and lower usage. You just have to watch out for turtles sunbathing on the path.

Someday, it is supposed to extend all the way up to Worcester, MA.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:42 PM

We will definitely check it out when we are in town in March

Old 01-17-2016, 05:03 PM

3,791 posts, read 2,696,474 times
And if we're covered in snow then: allegedly some people use the path for cross country skiing.

If one could live in Woonsocket right near the path, access to the path would be another reason why one might want and choose to live in Woonsocket.

Last edited by ormari; 01-17-2016 at 05:23 PM..

Old 01-17-2016, 07:17 PM

^ i wish there as a like button on here

Old 01-17-2016, 07:30 PM

I have a friend who recently move to Boston from Nashville . He and his husband sold their cars before they moved bc well they moved to Boston and didn't need them. What is the mass transit like there? We don't have anything but busses in Nashville or anywhere in Tn. Let's say I was living in Providence or even North Smithfield and working in Boston and driving wasn't a option. What would I do?

Old 01-17-2016, 08:43 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallesillob View Post
I have a friend who recently move to Boston from Nashville . He and his husband sold their cars before they moved bc well they moved to Boston and didn't need them. What is the mass transit like there? We don't have anything but busses in Nashville or anywhere in Tn. Let's say I was living in Providence or even North Smithfield and working in Boston and driving wasn't a option. What would I do?
If you lived close to downtown Providence, you'd take the train (commuter rail) into Boston.

North Smithfield........you need a vehicle.

Mass transit in Boston consists of commuter rail, subway and buses.

It's also wildly expensive to live in Boston.

I assume your husband has already enquired as to the necessary State license required for his field?

And you do understand that our cost of living in RI is much greater than TN. You would have to pay state income tax as well. And then there are all the pain in the backside taxes.

Funny, most people move from the Northeast TO TN to escape the high cost of living.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
If you lived close to downtown Providence, you'd take the train (commuter rail) into Boston.

North Smithfield........you need a vehicle.

Mass transit in Boston consists of commuter rail, subway and buses.

It's also wildly expensive to live in Boston.

I assume your husband has already enquired as to the necessary State license required for his field?

And you do understand that our cost of living in RI is much greater than TN. You would have to pay state income tax as well. And then there are all the pain in the backside taxes.

Funny, most people move from the Northeast TO TN to escape the high cost of living.
Yes my husband would be transferring with the same company he has worked for, for over a decade, to the area. We understand the cost of living is higher and there is a state income tax which we don't have in Tn. What people don't understand is cost of living in Nashville is higher than anywhere else in TN. We were out prices of our old neighborhood and sold our house to make a profit last year. We are aware that it will be a change and that's why we are even considering it. We do not want to live in Boston. We prefer small town-ish with close proximity to city. For instance we rent a 1100 sq foot town home now 40 minutes outside of Nashville and pay 1200 per month in rent plus utilities. In the city we would get 800 square feet possibly less in some areas for less. It all depends. We have looked into rental prices and purchase prices in Rhode Island and southern Mass and have found many places in our budget
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island