Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 925 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Seems to be a pretty active forum and I'd appreciate some help.

Looking to move from Boston to RI over the next couple months. I'm a single mid twenties guy without no kids looking to move into a safe, neighborhood with either good walking distance to shopping/restaurant life or that are a couple mile bus ride away. I plan on getting a car soon, but would rather not drive if I don't need to. My job will be fairly close to The Rhode Island Hospital.

Im looking for either a studio or 1 bedroom. 1300/month is my max.

I've heard good things about Cranston/Edgewood area. But not sure about anywhere else. Anyone have luck with any of the Brady Sullivan properties? I don't mind a family house, but I'd prefer a complex.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 02:18 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,148 times
I used to live near Edgewood and still like it very much. You could probably commute to the hospital area very easily via bus, but a car free lifestyle might be tricky otherwise. Not sure where you'd get groceries, for example, though you can get a lot delivered these days. It's an increasingly young area. You could probably get a studio in any building in the neighborhood, and maybe even a one bedroom, for less than $1,300.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:33 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,899,623 times
Also look right downtown or in the "jewelry district". Check Craigslist.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:34 PM

3,785 posts, read 2,693,466 times
^I like the grand houses in Edgewood, but don't know anything about complexes there. If you want to take public transportation, you can take the 1 to Stop & Shop or Shaw's on Warwick Ave. in Warwick from Edgewood, and it's not too far. The same line can get you to Rhode Island Hospital.

Not sure about great restaurant life in Edgewood, however. Again, the 1 will get you downtown, and there are lots of fantastic restaurants there. There are also some interesting pubs (What Cheer Tavern, for example) and restaurants in nearby Washington Park.

Last edited by ormari; 01-23-2016 at 02:46 PM..

Old 01-23-2016, 09:26 PM

548 posts, read 816,216 times
You could do a lot worse than Edgewood, but from the little bit you say I suspect you could do better given your preferences. Your budget should let you get a place closer to RIH, downtown or east side. Much of the east side would be closer than Edgwood and probably with more frequent bus options. Edgwood is more about single family houses than apartments/condos.

(*) I don't ride the bus a lot, but the recent RIPTA schedule reductions have not been great to Edgwood. Close to the Prov line there's now the 'R' line which helps, but past the city line less frequent, especially through Pawtuxet Village (most of the buses now go Warwick ave, not Broad-Post).

Old 01-23-2016, 09:44 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,055,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
^I like the grand houses in Edgewood, but don't know anything about complexes there. If you want to take public transportation, you can take the 1 to Stop & Shop or Shaw's on Warwick Ave. in Warwick from Edgewood, and it's not too far. The same line can get you to Rhode Island Hospital.

Not sure about great restaurant life in Edgewood, however. Again, the 1 will get you downtown, and there are lots of fantastic restaurants there. There are also some interesting pubs (What Cheer Tavern, for example) and restaurants in nearby Washington Park.
Edgewood Cafe on Broad Street is excellent and in Pawtuxet Village there is O'Rourke's, Basta Italian, Water's Edge and other restaurants a quick walk down Broad Street from Edgewood.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:21 AM

7 posts, read 9,891 times
I would try for the East Side first. It's pricey but I know a few people who have scored apartments for as low as $900 per month. It gets easier the further north you go towards the Pawtucket line. I've lived in Boston and I've lived in Providence and the East Side will be best area if you want that Boston feel with a lot of good restaurants and shops within walking distance.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:23 AM

107 posts, read 100,812 times
3 Warwick Ave

The 3 bus goes (looks like) through Edgewood and right to RIH front door. Beautiful old houses, near the bay. Isnt J&W Cullinary school a little further up on Narragansett Blvd? If so, there might be some nightlife nearby, but agree with other posters that East Side would be good. At least 2 or 3 bus lines will take you right downtown.

Oh I just looked and seems like the #1 bus now goes directly from through the east side to RIH. 1 Eddy/Hope/Benefit

Old 01-25-2016, 02:10 PM

548 posts, read 816,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noccidoggo View Post
3 Warwick Ave

The 3 bus goes (looks like) through Edgewood and right to RIH front door. Beautiful old houses, near the bay. Isnt J&W Cullinary school a little further up on Narragansett Blvd? If so, there might be some nightlife nearby, but agree with other posters that East Side would be good. At least 2 or 3 bus lines will take you right downtown.

Oh I just looked and seems like the #1 bus now goes directly from through the east side to RIH. 1 Eddy/Hope/Benefit
On the J&W nightlife, surprisingly not. Around the J&W campus its a wasteland for bars and restaurants (aside from the Edgewood Deli, which is a great little sub-and-pizza shop). South over the Cranston line it stays 100% residential. To the north a mile or less you eventually get some bars, but other than the What Cheer they look like a South Prov rough-and-tumble crowd, not college-age scenes or 'nightclub' places.

The cluster in Pawtuxet Village, or the smaller cluster 1/2 mile north around Norwood are a big plus for Edgewood, some decent food options within walking distance if you live there. But not _that_ many options, and none of them are a "single 20s/30s" scene at all.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:18 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,182,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noccidoggo View Post
Oh I just looked and seems like the #1 bus now goes directly from through the east side to RIH.
It actually has for decades; the only difference one is it doesn't change it's route number at Kennedy Plaza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island