Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2016, 05:21 PM

3,782 posts, read 2,683,716 times

Advertisements

The ProJo indicates that they have set some resolutions for the new year. One in particular is most welcome:

Quote:
Reinvigorate The Journal's longtime practice of investigative reporting and being a strong watchdog for the public.
I hope they mean this sincerely. We need a strong ProJo.

I can tolerate being inundated by grammatically incorrect sentences and spelling mistakes, even though I grimace with each offense. But we really need a strong newspaper in Providence, and one that is proficient at investigative journalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 07:16 AM

8,499 posts, read 4,552,009 times
This paper's decline has been rather quick and precipitous and fueled by bad management strategies. The purchase by Belo was the worst thing that ever happened to it. They stripped it bare and forced out their (through buyouts and layoffs) best people. It stopped doing a lot of local angle stories and replaced them with more wire feeds. The price skyrocketed and the quantity and quality of the paper decreased. It has bled subscribers for years (myself included). With the entire newspaper industry now in decline, I don't see how this paper stays relevant in the long-term. It was once a RI treasure. It is no more.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:26 AM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Let's see what Gatehouse Media actually does. They are based in Pittsfield NY and own a lot of papers across the country.

Seems like local ownership is a thing of the past for a lot of newspapers. They do have some jobs open in RI (see their website) for journalists.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:48 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
it's been over 5 years since the digital conversion
they still are incapable of including a tv programming
schedule that includes the broadcast channels.
i even contacted them about this through phone a couple years
ago for an elderly neighbor and nothing has been done.
literally 20 channels on broadcast tv they don't even bother to list.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:04 AM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
it's been over 5 years since the digital conversion
they still are incapable of including a tv programming
schedule that includes the broadcast channels.
i even contacted them about this through phone a couple years
ago for an elderly neighbor and nothing has been done.
literally 20 channels on broadcast tv they don't even bother to list.
They? Did you contact Gatehouse Media or Belo- Belo does not own the paper anymore.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:13 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
They? Did you contact Gatehouse Media or Belo- Belo does not own the paper anymore.
when Belo owned it.
I haven't contacted Gateway, because the neighbor doesn't need it anymore.
Still.. it's obvious to anyone who uses the free digital broadcast tv that there
are about 25 channels received with the majority of signals broadcast in this area
not listed in the tv listings.
I'm talking about all the subchannels like PBS World, PBS Create, PBS Sprout,
GRIT, Me-TV, Bounce, Comet, Marquee Movies, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island