U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 03:19 PM

7,150 posts, read 11,496,631 times

Advertisements

You've described one of the things I love about Rhode Island. Littler microcosms within microcosms..... how many angels on the head of a pin?

http://www.riaao.org/Welcome_files/RI%20Villages.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 03:30 PM

11,110 posts, read 15,753,161 times
Arnold Mills is not a town. It is a village, a/k/a Abbott Run, in Cumberland. I always lived in Arnold Mills in the Town of Cumberland; there is nothing snooty about being north of 295; simply a lovely residential area. Maybe comparable to Scituate.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
Oaklawn, Diamond Hill, Anthony, Rumford, Natick and others that were mentioned were legitimate towns/villages that acted as the center of commerce, retail, government and transport. They were not areas as Western Cranston, Edgewood, Narragansett Terrace and Western Coventry are defined. These areas had no identity as population centers as does Fiskeville (Western Cranston), Summit and Greene (Western Coventry). These towns/villages were the identifying locations. When Scituate had its many villages (Kent, So. Scituate, No. Scituate, Hope, etc. the villages were the identifiers. Much like Burrilville still is today with its Mohegan, Nasonville, Glendale, Mapleville, Oakland, Brighton, Wallum Lake, Pascoag and Harrisville. I think I have all of them. No one says I live in Burrilville and try sending a letter to Burrilville. It is not going to happen. In my own town of Glocester there is now but one village, Chepachet. Harmoiny used to have a town but the widening of 44 destroyed it as Greenville was destroyed also at the same time. There is a Western Glocester, but it is an area never having a village by the same name. Yet there was a village long ago called Clarksville along Pulaski Road. If one was from Arnold Mills, they would proudly reply "I am from the town of Arnold Mills" not the area of Arnold Mills and the name Cumberland would have never been mentioned. Much has been lost over the years.

Sorry, not true.

(The old part of Cumberland, the old mill areas, near Valley Falls bordering on Central Falls or MA, is nothing to write home about tho.) Ditto with some areas of Fairlawn (in Lincoln) bordering Pawtucket.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:52 PM

1,306 posts, read 2,441,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Sorry, not true.

(The old part of Cumberland, the old mill areas, near Valley Falls bordering on Central Falls or MA, is nothing to write home about tho.) Ditto with some areas of Fairlawn (in Lincoln) bordering Pawtucket.
sorry, as you have expertise as a realtor, history is my expertise. If they considered it a village, fine, but in many places village and town are interchangeable. The point was in either case that it was not an area as it is now considered. It was a distinct location.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:09 PM

^^^ You misunderstand:
People (quoting you), do not say and never have said: " reply "I am from the town of Arnold Mills" the area of Arnold Mills and the name Cumberland would have never been mentioned. Everyone who lives there and in the surrounding areas know that Arnold Mills is not a town, they know where they live. I have expertise as a resident of Arnold Mills in Cumberland for over 40 years and RI most of my life, and yes, valuable expertise of the entire state as a Realtor. And as such, when telling out of staters about the state itself, it is important to be accurate.

(Pi$$ing contests are not my bag, however.)

Old 06-20-2016, 08:11 PM

1,306 posts, read 2,441,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
^^^ You misunderstand:
People (quoting you), do not say and never have said: " reply "I am from the town of Arnold Mills" the area of Arnold Mills and the name Cumberland would have never been mentioned. Everyone who lives there and in the surrounding areas know that Arnold Mills is not a town, they know where they live. I have expertise as a resident of Arnold Mills in Cumberland for over 40 years and RI most of my life, and yes, valuable expertise of the entire state as a Realtor. And as such, when telling out of staters about the state itself, it is important to be accurate.

(Pi$$ing contests are not my bag, however.)
well, as I said the words village and town are interchangeable in some areas. Forty years, ok, but the history of Arnold Mills goes back to about the 1780's. I have only the history that I have studied to fall back on. And part time college level teaching of New England History, specifically as it relates to Rhode Island transportation. And for some reason you are still missing the point of a named area as opposed to village/town which is how Arnold Mills started. In fact, Arnold Mills, is an Historic District, which usually defines the boundaries of the original town or village. Anything outside of that district historically was not considered part of the named town/village. Today a large area of NE Cumberland is considered Arnold Mills. This is much more expansive than the original Arnold Mills.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:23 PM

1,595 posts, read 1,687,878 times
I'm curious, mr2448, are you familiar with the Coventry villages? I know Rice City no longer exists but have always been fuzzy about where it was, how it came to be and how it disappeared. Perhaps it wasn't a true village, as that area is mostly farmland or woods.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-21-2016 at 06:09 AM.. Reason: response to deletion

Old 06-20-2016, 10:35 PM

1,595 posts, read 1,687,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
You've described one of the things I love about Rhode Island. Littler microcosms within microcosms..... how many angels on the head of a pin?

http://www.riaao.org/Welcome_files/RI%20Villages.pdf

Neat. There are some there I've never heard of and quite a few missing from my neck of the woods. Really surprised not to see Washington, Phenix, Riverpoint, Natick for starters but there are half a dozen more in the Pawtuxet Valley that aren't on this list.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:48 PM

1,661 posts, read 993,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
I'm curious, mr2448, are you familiar with the Coventry villages? I know Rice City no longer exists but have always been fuzzy about where it was, how it came to be and how it disappeared. Perhaps it wasn't a true village, as that area is mostly farmland or woods.
Seems like much of Rice City is still intact, including the toll booth on Plainfield Pike. There's quite a bit of info from the National Register, and in this 2011 Patch article.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:19 PM

7,150 posts, read 11,496,631 times
I think there are fine distinctions between neighborhoods & villages, but here's more place names to ponder- may be a little screwed up with copy & paste so there may be a mistake or two.... Coal Mines in Portsmouth???????

Adamsville. . . . . . . - - - - - - - - - Little Compton. . . . . . . . . . . . Newport.
Albion...................... Lincoln . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Providence.
Allenton... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . North Kingstown. . . . . . . . . . | Washington.
Anthony.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Coventry. ............ ..... Kent.
Apponaug.................. Warwick. ... ..............
Arcadia . . . . . . . . . . ... .... Richmond....... - - - - - - - - - Washington.
Ashaway...... . . . . . . . . . . . . Hopkinton. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Ashton ...... .... ... . . . . Cumberland.......... ..... Providence.
Auburn..................... Cranston. ...... ... ..... Bristol. Barrington Centre. . . . . . . . . .
Block Island. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . New Shoreham............. Newport.
Burrillville. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Burrillville. ............ ... Providence.
Carolina. . . . . - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Richmond........ ... ... Washington.
Central Falls. . . . . . . . . ... Lincoln . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Providence.
Centredale...... . . . . . . . . . . . North Providence..........
Centreville... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Warwick. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Kent.
Charlestown.... . . . . . . . . . . . . Charlestown... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Washington.
Chepachet..... Glocester..... ... .......... Providence.
Coventry . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Coventry. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Kent.
Coventry Centre. . . . . . . . . .
Coweset. . . . . . . . . . . . Warwick.... . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Cranston. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Providence.
Cumberland Hill..... Cumberland...............
Davisville. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . North Kingstown......... ... Washington.
Diamond Hill.......... Cumberland. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Providence.
Drownville. . . . . . . . Barrington... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Bristol.
East Greenwich. . . . . . . . . . . East Greenwich............ Kent.
East Providence . . . . . . . . . . East Providence... . . . . . . . . . Providence.
Enfield . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Smithfield . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Escoheag........... . . . . . . . . West Greenwich... . . . . . . . . . Kent.
Exeter... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Exeter... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Washington.
Fiskeville. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Cranston..... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Providence.
Foster. ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Foster... . . . . . . . . . . . . . Foster Centre. . . . . . . .
Georgiaville. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Smithfield.... . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Greene. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Coventry. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Kent.
Greenville... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Smithfield . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Providence.
Hamilton. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . North Kingstown. . . . . . . . . . . . Washington.
Harmony. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Glocester..... . . . . . . . . . . . . . Providence.
Hill’s Grove . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Warwick. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Kent.
Hope. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Scituate . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Providence.
Hope Valley. . . . . . . . . . . . Hopkinton. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Washington.
Howard - - - - - - - - - - ... . . Cranston. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ... Providence.
Hughesdale. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Johnston. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Jamestown. ... . . . . . . . . . . . Jamestown. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Newport.
Kent. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Scituate - - - - - - - - - - - - - Providence.
Kingston . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . South Kingstown..... . . . . . Washington.
LaFayette. ... North Kingstown. . . . . . . . . . .
Liberty. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Exeter...... . . . .
Lime Rock. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Lincoln. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ... Providence.
Little Compton. . . . . . . . . . Little Compton. . . . . . . . . . . . Newport.
Lonsdale. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Lincoln . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Providence.
Manton. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Providence. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Manville... . . . . . . . . . . . . Lincoln. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Mapleville... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Burrillville. . . . . . . . .
Matunuck. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . South Kingstown. . . . . . . . . . Washington.

Clyde Works............... Warwick.... ............ Kent.
Coal Mines.... .... ........ Portsmouth...... ........ Newport.
Coalition Corners........... North Kingstown.... .... Washington.
Commons Village........... Little Compton........... Newport.
Conanicut Park. . . . . . . . . . Jamestown...... .......
Crompton: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Warwick........ ........ Kent.
Davisville P. O. . . . . . . . ... North Kingstown......... Washington.
Diamond Hill P. O.... ... Cumberland............. Providence.
Drownville P.O............ Barrington....... ... .... Bristol.
Dry Brook.............. .. Johnston. . . . . . . ........ Providence.
Dyerville... ... ............ Providence City..........
Elmdale.... . - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Scituate..................
Elmville........ ........... Cranston. . . . . ...........
Elmwood.... .............. Providence City... .....
Enfield P. O. . . ........ ... Smithfield. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Escoheag P. O.............. West Greenwich...... ... Kent.
Exeter P. O. ............................ Washington.
Cranston Fiskeville P.O.... ........ ............. Providence.
Forestdale......... ........ North Smithfield..........
Fruit Hill.... . . . . . . . . . . . . North Providence........
Gazza ........ ............ Burrillville... . . . . . . . . . .
Geneva............. . . . . . . . . Providence City........
Georgiaville P. O........... Smithfield ... ..........
Glendale.................... Burrillville... . . . . ........
Globe Village..... ........ Woonsocket...... ........
Graniteville. . . . . . . . . . . Burrillville................
Graniteville........ . . . . . . . Johnston..... ............
Greystone...... ......... North Providence........
Greene P. O................ Coventry................. Kent.
Greenville P. O.... ........ Smithfield ............... Providence.
Hamlet. ............. Woonsocket..............
Hamilton P. O.............. North Kingstown........ Washington.
Harmony P. O.......... . . . Glocester................. Providence.
Harrisville. ........ .. Coventry........ - - - - - - - - - Kent.
Harrisville..... ......... ... Burrillville... ............ Providence.
Hillsdale... . . . . . . . . ....... Richmond... ............ Washington.
Hill’s Grove P. O.......... Warwick.... ............ Kent.
Hope P.O.. ...... ........ Providence.
Hopkinton
Hope Valley P. O ....... Washington.
Hopkins’ Mills.............. Foster... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Providence.
Hopkinton City P. O..... .. Hopkinton..... ... - - - - - - - Washington.
Hughesdale P. O... . . . . . . . . Johnston..... ........... Providence.
Huntsville... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Burrillville. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Hunt’s Mills. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . East Providence..... ....
Ingrahamville. . . . . . . . . . . . . Pawtucket....... ........
Jackson................... Scituate. . . . . . . . . ........
Jamestown P. O... . . . . . . . . . Jamestown.... . . . . . . . . . . Newport.
Kent P. O. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Scituate. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Providence.
Kenyon’s Mill. . . . . . . . . ...... Washington.
Kingston P. O. . . . . . . . . . . . . South Kingstown. ... . . . . ...
Knight's Mills. . . . . . . . . . . . . Smithfield. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Providence.
Knightsville . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Cranston.................
Lafayette P. O... . . . . : North Kingstown. ... .... Washington.
Laurel Ridge... ........... Burrillville..... .......... Providence.
Lebanon.................... Pawtucket. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Leonard's Corner. . . . . . . . . . . East Providence..........
Liberty P. O. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Exeter... . . . ............ Washington.
Lime Rock P. O. . . . . . . . . . . . Lincoln... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Providence.
Lippitt. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Warwick.... .... ........ Kent.
Locustville. . . . . . . . . - - - - - - - - Hopkinton... . . . . . . . . . . . Washington.
Lonsdale P.O. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Lincoln. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Providence.
Lonsdale (new village)...... Cumberland...... .......
Lorraine. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Pawtucket. ... ... ......
Lottery Village. . . . . . . . . . . . Westerly . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Washington.
Lyman’s Mill. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Providence. . Providence City
Manton P. O. . . . . . . . . . . . . .Johnston
Manville P.O.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . | Cumberland
Mapleville P.O. . . . . . . . . . . Burrillville... . . . . . . . . . . . .
Matunuck P. O... . . . . . . . . . . . | South Kingstown........ Washington.
Merino. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Johnston. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Providence.
Mohegan P. O. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Burrillville................
Moosup Valley P. O. . . . . . . Foster... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Morgan Mill.... . . . . . . . . . . . Johnston........ ........
Moscow . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Hopkinton... ............ Washington.
Mt. Vernon. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Foster........ ............ Providence.
Narragansett Mills. . . . . . . . . . Narragansett Pier P. O.....
Nasonville... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Burrillville. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Providence.
Natick P. O. . . . . . . . . . . - - - - Warwick. ............... Kent.
Nayatt Point P. O. . . . . . . . . Barrington.... .......... Bristol.
Newtown. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Portsmouth. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Niantic P. O. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . - - - - - - - - - - - Washington.
Nooseneck Hill P. O. . . . . . . . | West Greenwich...... ... Kent.
North (Glenford, - Scituate................ . | Providence.
Norwood P. O. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Warwick. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Kent.
Noyes Beach. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Westerly. ............... Washington.
Oakland.................... Burrillville. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Providence.
South Foster P. O. . . . . . . Foster... . . . . . . .......... Providence.
South Portsmouth P. O..... Portsmouth...... ........ Newport.
South Scituate P. O....... Scituate. ... .......... Providence.
Spragueville........ . . . . . . . . Smithfield........ ... - - - - -
Spring Lake. . . . . . . . . .Coventry. ............... Kent.
Stillwater P.O.. . . . . . . . ... Smithfield.... . . . . . . . . Providence.
Stone Bridge... ... ........ Tiverton..... ............ Newport.
Summit P.O........ . . . . . . . . Coventry................. Kent.
Tiverton Four Corners P. O. . . . . . . . . . Tiverton...... ........... Newport.
Valley Falls P.O.. ........ Lincoln - - - - - - - - - - - - Providence.
Wakefield P. O............. South Kingstown......... Washington.
Wanskuck........ ........ Providence City.......... Providence.
Warren P. O... . . . . . . . . . . . . Warren...... ............ Bristol. '
Neck P. O........ Warwick... .... ....... Kent.
Washington Village, Coventry, P. O.
Waterford. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . North Smithfield.........
Watch Hill P. O. . . . . . . . . . . . Westerly. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Washington.
West Glocester P. O... . . . . . Glocester................. Providence.
West Greenwich Centre P.O. West Greenwich..... .... Kent.
West Kingston P. O. . . . . . . . South Kingstown......... Washington.
West Providence............ Johnston................ Providence.
Whipple Mills. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Smithfield ... . . . . . . . . . .
White Rock P. O. . . . . . . . . . . Westerly. ............... Washington.
Whitman. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Coventry. ...... ......... Kent.
Wickford P. O...... . . . . . . North Kingstown. ....... Washington.
Winsor Mills. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Smithfield... ... ........ Providence.
Woodlawn......... - - - - - - - Pawtucket. . . . . . . . - - - - - - -
Woodville............. . .... North Providence..... ... :
Woodville P. O. . . . . . . . . . . .Washington.
Richmond Wyoming P.O............. | Hopkinton } - - - - - - - - - - - - Washington.
Yawgoo... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Exeter... . . . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or