Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 07:41 AM

774 posts, read 2,374,802 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this whole thread is about Corporate Welfare, which I agree, is a huge problem that won't be dealt with in the least.

Let's see, one corporate thief, who gorges himself with about 15 million per year every year (all legally of course) would probably cover tens of thousands (maybe millions) of the poor, whose voice is never heard.

Hell, with all that corporate greed, you could actually create jobs that would put people to work and stop killing the middle class (if there still is one).

(steps off soap box)

Mikey

Old 02-24-2008, 09:25 AM

34 posts, read 196,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProvGuy View Post
You can't use food stamps to buy cigarettes or liquor, only eligible food items. So people are not using their EBT to buy them. They definitely are abused though, I've noticed people with wads of cash in their wallets using their EBT instead, probly saving their cash to go to Twin River instead.

Hahahaha.
Yes, foodstamps on EBT is used to buy food. Cash can be used to buy cigs and lottery.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:40 PM

85 posts, read 414,807 times
No offense to those of Dominican descent, but there is a sizable population of Dominicans in the Bronx, and a large majority of them, if they are here legally, are on some sort of public assistance. I know there is also a good pop. of Dominicans living in Providence. Are they living in these 2 cities due to the liberal welfare laws, or is it just a coincidence?

Old 02-28-2008, 07:35 PM

774 posts, read 2,374,802 times
In my practice in Providence, I had many patients of Dominican descent. Many came here to escape the drugs and violence they found in NYC. Like every ethnic group, they are trying to give their children a better life. Most are very decent people.... willing to work.

What they find when they get here is no jobs... so in desperation many try to get on any assistance they can find.... this applies to most new ethnic groups here like the Cambodian population in Prov.

There are many others who do work, but can't afford high rents and other bills. Many don't drive because they can't afford to.

I've had many people tell me they try to encourage relatives NOT to come here because they fear they will end up needing assistance from them and they're already not making ends meet.

This is clearly different than years ago when businesses like textile mills SPONSORED immigrants to work in their factories. Those people worked and assimilated.... those days are gone.

Mikey

Old 02-29-2008, 10:45 AM

1,082 posts, read 4,710,978 times
"Welfare encourages people to sit at home and be lazy and not to even try look for a job. I do not believe in the concept of welfare."

This is a myth. I have never been on welfare but I don't know anyone that would take welfare unless they could not make enough money to pay a babysitter, and that happens a lot for women. I do have an adult handicapped daughter (blind and mentally retarded) who gets a measly 200 a month from SSI and the system caps her income no matter how much she works. She would love to move out and get a place but the situation is impossible, all she can get is part time temp jobs. I feel sad for her because it is very hard on her psychologically.

If you want to get more information and compassion, try volunteering at a local day care agency for people with disabilities, or a daycare center for welfare moms.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:30 PM

202 posts, read 1,074,067 times
I know of a girl collecting welfare while studying to be a nurse. Her baby's dad doesn't give any support in raising their baby. Luckily her sister's a nurse and willing to help train her. As for dominicans, they own most of the property in my neighborhood, I can foresee an uphill future for them

Old 03-03-2008, 01:13 PM

257 posts, read 1,333,453 times
Welfare is not specific to any one ethnic group, and any reference saying otherwise is usually just anecdotal.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:52 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,167,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProvGuy View Post
Welfare is not specific to any one ethnic group, and any reference saying otherwise is usually just anecdotal.
...and often based in prejudice.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:43 AM

1,082 posts, read 4,710,978 times
So if you actually read the report on "entitlements" linked above, you see that very little of it is what is being discussed here, and most of it is stuff that most of us get the benefit of. Them versus us. If you want to live in a state where state budgets are cut to the bone, come live out in the eastern plains of colorado and eat pinto beans. Then see how you like being in a real fiscally conservative place. Sort of like those wild westerns with the dugout families subsisting through the winter on cornmeal mush. Great life if you can get it, huh?

Old 03-06-2008, 06:41 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,989,858 times
Well said esya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island