Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 06:44 PM

8,450 posts, read 4,502,573 times

Advertisements

A Pawtucket Station would likely also be a commuting option INTO Providence that I think would attract patrons. The station is within walking distance of many homes (especially in CF) and much of the neighborhood demographics are of residents that use public transportation. The TF Green/Warwick and Wickford Junction Stations do not appear to have caught on with commuting into Providence. A Pawtucket station would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 11:14 AM

3,648 posts, read 2,639,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
A Pawtucket Station would likely also be a commuting option INTO Providence that I think would attract patrons. The station is within walking distance of many homes (especially in CF) and much of the neighborhood demographics are of residents that use public transportation. The TF Green/Warwick and Wickford Junction Stations do not appear to have caught on with commuting into Providence. A Pawtucket station would.
Yes. The Pawtucket station will both serve commuters to Boston, as well as commuters to Providence. To me that should have been the second step in building rail in Providence, after TF Green.

Old 07-30-2016, 03:56 PM

While urban Pawtucket, as any other city, has its issues, I don't think enough people know about some of its downtown success:

Pawtucket Armory Arts Center
(performing arts, wedding, and event center)
Pawtucket Armory Arts Center - Performing Arts Wedding And Event Center

The Gamm Theater
The Sandra Feinstein-Gamm Theatre

Isle Brewers Guild
Isle Brewers Guild

http://www.decorationtrend.com/wp-co...pawtucket_.jpg
Riverfront Lofts with Pawt City Hall in background

http://image.apartmentguide.com/imgr...%20%2F%20Patio
Slater Lofts

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-31-2016 at 05:16 AM.. Reason: copyright violations

Old 07-30-2016, 10:16 PM

3,648 posts, read 2,639,463 times
Well you're right that people don't know about the successes of Pawtucket, and part of that is because people just like to badmouth without any real, current knowlege and instead trade on dated word of mouth. I looked at converted mill building lofts in Pawtucket a decade ago, so people have been aware of the potential the great mill buildings offer for a while now. Someone in this thread said it will take years for Pawtucket to rebound, but the fact is it has been on the rebound and this is not news. The housing crunch in 2008 dampened the rebound but it's not as if it is at a bottom, or a top. Look at the price history and you'll see prices are neither at the peak nor trough in Pawtucket and/or Providence. Of course in the NE things move slowly; things don't change overnight. But change happens while you're not paying attention.

While I ultimately settled on Providence for all that the city offers, Pawtucket was mighty tempting to me when I was in Somerville looking southward. People used to make disparaging remarks about Somerville too, but anyone who has lived through the transition in Somerville knows that change pays no toll to the wizened prognosticators who say things will always be down and out. Had Pawtucket had commuter rail at the time I relocated to Rhode Island, I would likely be in Pawtucket now.

Old 07-31-2016, 06:57 AM

9,260 posts, read 14,834,877 times
[quote=massnative71;44933728]Who ever thought a CONDO would sell for 299K in Pawtucket.

I'm afraid that you're shockingly out of date when it comes to the real estate market. Do you have any idea what r.e. costs in the Boston metro region? Commuter rail makes us part of that.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:52 AM

Another downtown Pawtucket success story:

The Public Archaeology Laboratory, Inc.'s purchase and 2M renovation of the former To Kalon Club. The “TK Club,” as it was commonly known was a private gentleman's club founded by the wealthy industrialists of Pawtucket. The 13,199-square foot building at 26 Main St. now serves as the new home of PAL, a cultural resource management consulting firm. PAL Executive Director Stephen Olausen said that since the non-profit company specializes in architectural history and preservation, the circa 1911 Classical Revival-style structure was considered to be a good fit for the company's headquarters.

http://www.palinc.com/sites/default/...?itok=ibpmPfI2

Old 07-31-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Is this the station to be rehabbed? It was once a grand old station. Or torn down? Not sure if this is the right site.

AIR Decay :: Pawtucket-Central Falls Train Station

The old station opened in 1916 and was once a grand building. Some 70,000 passengers a month were using it in the late 1940's before train ridership fell and it was closed in 1959.

Links to photos
http://search.whiteskyservices.com/?...archresultpage

https://sites.google.com/site/pawtucketcentralfalls/

Old 08-01-2016, 09:40 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,477,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
The old station opened in 1916 and was once a grand building. Some 70,000 passengers a month were using it in the late 1940's before train ridership fell and it was closed in 1959.

Links to photos
images results for pawtucket central falls train depot station

https://sites.google.com/site/pawtucketcentralfalls/

There was no train station, or shopping center in South Attleboro at that time. From Cottage St. to the So. Attleboro/County St. bridge, all the homes were demolished or moved (evidently by the developers), Bobby's Rollaway in Pawtucket was demolished, along with other businesses within the train station area. As late as the mid 80's there was also a Holiday Inn there just over the bridge.

There were no homes on the south side of the railroad tracks over the line in Pawtucket. Just a lot of good blueberry picking. There were homes on the other side of Newport Av. in Pawtucket where the train station parking lot is now, and there is/was a cut-thru street over to So. Attleboro that came out near what was Ro'Jacks market.

After all that development, and then the train station, the Pawtucket train station was not used and became an eyesore and a hangout for criminal activity that morphed over from C.Falls. And stayed that way until now.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:56 AM

12,731 posts, read 21,879,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
There was no train station, or shopping center in South Attleboro at that time. From Cottage St. to the So. Attleboro/County St. bridge, all the homes were demolished or moved (evidently by the developers), Bobby's Rollaway in Pawtucket was demolished, along with other businesses within the train station area. As late as the mid 80's there was also a Holiday Inn there just over the bridge.

There were no homes on the south side of the railroad tracks over the line in Pawtucket. Just a lot of good blueberry picking. There were homes on the other side of Newport Av. in Pawtucket where the train station parking lot is now, and there is/was a cut-thru street over to So. Attleboro that came out near what was Ro'Jacks market.

After all that development, and then the train station, the Pawtucket train station was not used and became an eyesore and a hangout for criminal activity that morphed over from C.Falls. And stayed that way until now.
I don't think you're trying to imply that Pawtucket doesn't need/ can't draw riders because there's now a S. Attleboro station, but that is a sentiment I've heard in and out of this thread before. It's one I don't agree with. A transfer, or two-seat ride (whether it's taking a bus, or having to drive to South Attleboro) is inconvenient and negatively impacts ridership. There's an existing population density around the proposed Pawtucket/CF station that would immediately benefit from a stop. There are a lot of people- like myself- that woudn't consider Pawtucket now because driving or taking a bus is far less convenient than simply walking a few minutes to a local station. That changes with a new station.

The MBTA has a recent history of poor station planning. especially with regard to moving stations away from population centers in favor of more remote locations where they can build big lots. That's fine for a terminal station, but there's no reason places like Hingham, MA should have a $25 Million "bypass" tunnel under the town center and a station that's over a mile away. There's no reason Middleborough/Lakeville should be where it is when the tracks run by the town center (and the old rail station). There's no reason Wickford Junction should come to be before urban Pawtucket/CF gets a station. I know the MBTA doesn't deserve credit for it, but I'm very happy to see an urban station going in.

It is too bad the old Pawtucket/CF station can't be re-purposed. It's a gem.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:42 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,141,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
The MBTA has a recent history of poor station planning. especially with regard to moving stations away from population centers in favor of more remote locations where they can build big lots. That's fine for a terminal station, but there's no reason places like Hingham, MA should have a $25 Million "bypass" tunnel under the town center and a station that's over a mile away. There's no reason Middleborough/Lakeville should be where it is when the tracks run by the town center (and the old rail station). There's no reason Wickford Junction should come to be before urban Pawtucket/CF gets a station. I know the MBTA doesn't deserve credit for it, but I'm very happy to see an urban station going in.
As someone who grew up on Long Island, home to the most successful commuter-rail system in the U.S., I was struck by how little you actually see on the train between Rhode Island and Boston. On the Long Island Rail Road, at least on the couple of lines I used to take regularly, I could look out the window and never stop seeing density for the entire trip -- up to an hour long -- until I entered the tunnel into Manhattan. Typically there was a little downtown area around every station, but it wasn't just around the stations -- the train line would generally travel down or parallel to a main thoroughfare of some sort.

Much of the trip on the Providence line is through similarly dense areas, but when you look out the window, you often (probably more often than not) see either woods or light industrial. This is true until you get surprisingly close to Boston. I noticed this the very first time I took the train because I was really looking forward to getting a tour of the area and was disappointed that there wasn't much to look at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island