Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2016, 12:33 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,454,820 times

Advertisements

My tastes in food are pretty simple and unrefined. I read some comments posted here about our great places and you guys going off on the latest and I think how I wish I could really appreciate haute cuisine, but fact is Local 121 is as fancy feasting for me and as daring as my palette goes. What's the saying, some eat to live and others live to eat --

And food is seasonal for me -- I do not like summer's fish or some of the crazy stuff our local great chefs do with vegetables in the spring (though fresh fruit is a gift from God that I savor). But come winter, when the wind really bucks and tears and claws at one's skin, that's then I'm in my glory for everything -- exercise, sledding, skating photography, walking, and especially cooking and eating, and especially cooking and eating "comfort food."

Apparently "comfort food" isn't limited by season, nor is CF truly defined, but for purposes of this thread, let's say it is a winter culinary event and intended to bring maximum yummy during the typically least-loved season.

Why is winter CF essential? For me, it's a reward for refusing to become a winter refugee or shut-in. You will never, ever read me whining and carping EVER about two-week long sub zero spells or impending climactic doom. I mean, I mostly walk everywhere and it does get cold descending South Court at 6am or climbing out of Meeting from Main at 11pm. I refuse, I refuse to be self imprisoned just because of a foot of snow or pelting ice rain. Indeed, it is the act of refusing to isolate that makes me a lover of that five months or so of brutality.

Given all the Ocean State has to offer, which dishes do you consider our best winter CFs, whether served at at restaurant or a traditional dish at home?

For me, it should involve cream (mac and cheese, baked potatoes with sour cream, beef stroganoff, and my favorite, Godiva's powdered hot chocolate, topped with Hood's fresh whipping cream, a nightly certainly from now until March). Or extra cheese on lasagna if I make it. It should be spicy and steaming hot. And if it was made at Blake's or by the trailer family, served amid ketchup bottles being angrily tossed around, then that is truly a comfort.

Where are your winter CF places? Where and which dishes are made at home? At a restaurant? In what way to they bring you comfort?

I see there's cable chatter of a possible dust-down during this week -- be still my beating heart! and may the leaden skies unleash the equal of a GH38!

ETA: Stoopid me -- forgot the best: grilled cheese sandwiches with fauxmatoes, and cottage cheese drenched with ketchup! Hiiiiiiiiigh living!

Last edited by AlfieBoy; 11-19-2016 at 12:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 03:46 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,146,952 times
I might have more thoughts on this later, but just quickly before I go pick up my kid's chicken quesadilla:

I have had many, many, many peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in my life. When I was in elementary school, the lunch lady would have one premade for me when I got to the front of the line (and I always felt a little guilty on the rare occasions that I didn't want it). I still eat them once in a while when I want the fastest and easiest meal possible, with a maximum degree of deliciousness. I have had simple PB&Js and I've had designer PB&Js. What I'm trying to say here is that I know peanut butter and jelly.

The peanut butter and jelly sandwich at Ogie's Trailer Park is the best I've ever had. Absolutely perfect, the best ingredients, grilled, warm, everything oozing out in the best possible way. Go get one.

Old 11-19-2016, 04:18 PM

^ Huh. Well, your opinion does matter and I have to give full measure to that. Though, I seem to recall possibly a dissenting comment from perhaps ormari on this subject and her opinion likewise matters.

How about rice? Something I do like and would likely agree with any assessment? Something non-controversial. Any rice fans?

Old 11-19-2016, 05:29 PM

23,551 posts, read 18,651,084 times
The French Meat Pie is a good winter treat found throughout RI. Ready-to-bake ones can usually be found at Dave's or many local markets. Madeleine's in Cumberland used to to be a go to spot for myself, but I have a feeling they closed. Stick to your ribs, but justifiable after a day out in the cold!

Old 11-19-2016, 05:51 PM

^ Alway makes me wonder where the meat originated. I keep a freezer bag filled with meatless pizza strips in my refrigerator that drives me to distraction. Just recently tried them and got into the habit.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:48 AM

8,491 posts, read 4,547,896 times
Winter comfort foods:

Soups and Stews
Chicken Pot Pies
Grilled Cheese
Baked Chicken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island