Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 12:27 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattig View Post
No Rnrboy I have lived in three other states and if you think RI schools scoring above the national average is good well that's just wrong. Most of our students are consistently lacking in English, the sciences, and mathematics. Most high school graduates in this state can not even write a proper essay. We don't challenge our students enough. I have put 1 child completely through the RI school system, my other two through the Alaska system. When children have trouble in school academically there really is no willingness for the school systems to lend a helping hand for these kids. The parents are expected to bridge that gap, which I'm not saying parents shouldn't help their kids out, but it should be the school's responsibilites to recognize when there might be academic issues either from a disability or just behavioral issues, and those issues are ignored and those kids fall through the cracks. I have personal experience with this. You are comparing our schools to Florida schools where my exteded family has lived for 30 years and there are many issues with the schools down there, but if you think it's a lot better up here you're wrong. Unless you can afford to live in one of the affluent communities in RI ( Barrington, East Greenwich) it's difficult for kids to get the quality of education that our Ma and Ct students are getting.
I hear you, I really do. My girlfriend's brother has MS and is wheelchair bound. But he said that people at the schools always treated him quite well and we live in Cranston. So I don't know, different strokes I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 12:49 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,618 times
Giving tax breaks to elites who don't even live in RI:

Rhode Island's Future:: Giving tax breaks to elites who don't even live in RI (http://www.rifuture.org/showDiary.do;jsessionid=ADCFC4DC8A60D607E3F82279E3 005B77?diaryId=1901 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island