Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 12:06 PM

12,848 posts, read 22,014,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
I'm very much NOT a morning person, maybe that's why my way works better for me - it's easier for me to stay up all night than to get up at 4 am.
This is true for many travelers. But frankly, the Low Cost Carrier model banks on largely leisure travelers who are willing to leave whenever for the lowest possible fare so they're not really trying to get the business travelers who, as has been pointed out, are going to look at premium seats on carriers with which they're loyal (or at least economy seats on carriers with which they're loyal). Moreover, Norwegian is banking on a good deal of traffic from PVD (and other U.S. airports) connecting on to other European destinations. They use their long haul flights as feeders to drive traffic on their "shuttle" routes. So the overnight flights that get passengers into Europe early in the AM are prime for connections whereas the early AM U.S. flights are not - they're better suited for origin and destination (O&D) traffic between major markets (i.e. Boston and London).

GeoffD pointed out that the big legacy international carriers depend on premium cabins being full for profitability. They can be successful with planes going out +/-70% full if the premium cabins are about full. It's more about yields (fare per passenger per mile) than loads (percentage full). LCCs depend on higher load factors because the yield will always be lower. 85-90% is about what a low cost carrier like Norwegian needs to turn a profit. So they've probably got to do that out of Providence for their routes to work. I think they'll get it for most of their Europe routes. They're not stupid, some of those cities (Dublin and Edinburgh) offer good connection options to other parts of Europe. The others have strong O&D numbers without direct flights from the Boston market so they're worth the effort. Edinburgh has been fishing for a Boston flight forever as they get about 24k Boston passengers per year (about 15% of that in premium cabins) and don't have a direct Boston flight (until, technically, this one).

I'm not confident in the Caribbean flights, however. Guadeloupe and Martinique sounds great, but they're just not on most New Englanders' radars. These routes didn't do well out of Boston, I'm not sure how they'll do better out of PVD. We'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 01:25 PM

Looks like Frontier is adding flights to Austin and Atlanta from Providence: https://thepointsguy.com/2018/02/fro...00000149946871. They're really going after legacy carriers. Atlanta and Charlotte are already well-served from PVD by Delta and American respectively. Even if you don't have interest in flying Frontier, you may still benefit from competition on those routes with lower fares on Delta/American to the hubs and connections from the hubs.

Also, last month Norwegian dropped the Bergen flights (their Scandanavian routes are doing poorly everywhere), reduced Edinburgh (due to fees at EDI), and added more flights to Shannon from Providence. So a mixed bag there: Norwegian Air drops service to Norway, adds flights to Ireland - News - providencejournal.com - Providence, RI

Old 02-08-2018, 08:37 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
For me, the Frontier Denver flight is pretty useless. DEN-PVD leaves Denver at 8am. For business travel, I want it to leave PVD at 8am and leave DEN at 5:30pm. That’s two extra hotel nights.

Austin is useful as a warm weather hub going west. No snow. I’ve been there a few times on business but it was always summer when it’s 100F every day.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
For me, the Frontier Denver flight is pretty useless. DEN-PVD leaves Denver at 8am. For business travel, I want it to leave PVD at 8am and leave DEN at 5:30pm. That’s two extra hotel nights.

Austin is useful as a warm weather hub going west. No snow. I’ve been there a few times on business but it was always summer when it’s 100F every day.
Yeah, I don't understand the scheduling of the Denver flight. At all. DEN is their primary hub so you'd think they'd want the flight to be ideal for transfers as well as for people traveling to DEN for work. To top it off, it's a seasonal route which doesn't really make much sense to me. I think it's intended to be for people from Colorado (and other areas) to affordably get to New England during the peak season, and not vice versa which is too bad.

I like the Austin route. Good destination by itself (I've also only been in August), but it's a Frontier hub (or "focus city") as well which opens up some connection opportunities. I like that Green's route map is expanding West.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:42 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Yeah, I don't understand the scheduling of the Denver flight. At all. DEN is their primary hub so you'd think they'd want the flight to be ideal for transfers as well as for people traveling to DEN for work. To top it off, it's a seasonal route which doesn't really make much sense to me. I think it's intended to be for people from Colorado (and other areas) to affordably get to New England during the peak season, and not vice versa which is too bad.

I like the Austin route. Good destination by itself (I've also only been in August), but it's a Frontier hub (or "focus city") as well which opens up some connection opportunities. I like that Green's route map is expanding West.
I don't know what it is. It's just unfortunate because I can't take the flight.

Southwest did the same thing in Hartford. They used to have a 7:50am flight to Denver. They moved it to 6pm around 5 weeks ago. I stopped taking it. Fortunately, United has a morning flight. Unfortunately, it's a 30" seat pitch seat on a 737-800 a lot of the time.

At one point, you could get from PVD and MHT to Vegas, Phoenix, and Denver. Those long haul flights seem to come and go.

Frontier to ATL at least breaks the Delta monopoly pricing. Flights into fortress hubs are really expensive if there is no competition. I've had ATL as my travel pattern before. Not my favorite city. General Sherman needs to do urban renewal again.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Frontier to ATL at least breaks the Delta monopoly pricing. Flights into fortress hubs are really expensive if there is no competition. I've had ATL as my travel pattern before. Not my favorite city. General Sherman needs to do urban renewal again.
Absolutely. Atlanta is somewhere I go frequently (unfortunately), but now that Spirit, Jetblue, and Southwest all fly to ATL out of BOS, flights on all 4 carriers are frequently under $100 r/t. Out of PVD, they're much closer to $200 on a good day and only on Delta.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:40 AM

8,497 posts, read 4,558,569 times
Bill has been filed in the general assembly to change the airport's name.

New name on runway for T.F. Green

Change to Rhode Island International Airport would boost traffic, according to officials

By Patrick Anderson Journal Staff Writer

New name on runway for T.F. Green - The Providence Journal, 2018-02-15

Old 02-28-2018, 04:51 PM

Passenger counts at T.F. Green went up by about 285,000 in 2017, a 7.8 percent jump to 3.94 million

New airlines help boost T.F. Green passengers by nearly 8 percent

New airlines help boost T.F. Green passengers by nearly 8 percent - News - providencejournal.com - Providence, RI

Old 03-01-2018, 07:14 AM

While it is good to see Green traffic once again on the increase rising to 3.9M last year, it is still a big decline from its high mark of 5.7M back in 2005. The economic downturn and elimination of many flights at the airport took a heavy toll on passenger traffic.

Green Passenger Counts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T._F._Green_Airport

Old 03-01-2018, 10:35 AM

198 posts, read 150,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
While it is good to see Green traffic once again on the increase rising to 3.9M last year, it is still a big decline from its high mark of 5.7M back in 2005. The economic downturn and elimination of many flights at the airport took a heavy toll on passenger traffic.

Green Passenger Counts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T._F._Green_Airport
there was a redirection of the legacy airlines starting in 2005. Airlines started moving more service to large hubs and focus cities. Mid sized hubs and small sized hubs were greatly affected. This redirection was already in place when the economic downturn took place. Add that to legacies giving up hubs such as CLE, CVG and PIT which also affected PVD numbers. Some mid sized airports have bounced back partly. PVD is especially hurt by this consolidation with it's proximity to BOS. Jet Blue also has an effect where now prices are lower because of them at BOS as compared to PVD. SW entering the BOS market also was detrimental.
Legacies need to increase service and provide new non stop locations. There were as many as 1400 daily seats to ORD between 1998-2008 on UA and AA. UA had as many as 5 daily 757's to ORD in the summer's of 2003,04 and 05. AA used all MD-80's and sometimes had a 757 in. Those number of seats don't disappear in a normal situation. Especially down to the 225 that PVD now has on 3 regional jets to ORD. These discount airlines can also be fly by night service and cannot be depended to stick around. Spirit was here in for two years and making money, but they left for both BOS and BDL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island