Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 10:28 AM

8 posts, read 33,026 times

Advertisements

Dear Friends,

Am new to this part of US (RI/MA). For my work, I will be shuttling between Quincy and Cranston - few days a week alternately. Am looking for suggestions for best school district - I have two kids, one is in High School and other is in Middle school.

My preference would be somewhere in the middle of these two places.. Am ok to live in either RI or MA.

I did some research.. the schools that come up are Classical High in Providence, Barrington, Sharon in MA, Dover in MA.

Request your opinion on these schools or suggestions for better ones and also the best place to live in.

Truly appreciate your help.

Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 12:23 PM

9,287 posts, read 14,899,623 times
Wow, that's a long commute. The middle is about Foxborough Ma or Mansfield Ma. I'd check either of these towns.

Old 02-24-2017, 02:48 PM

8,023 posts, read 4,694,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsdesk View Post
Dear Friends,

Am new to this part of US (RI/MA). For my work, I will be shuttling between Quincy and Cranston - few days a week alternately. Am looking for suggestions for best school district - I have two kids, one is in High School and other is in Middle school.

My preference would be somewhere in the middle of these two places.. Am ok to live in either RI or MA.

I did some research.. the schools that come up are Classical High in Providence, Barrington, Sharon in MA, Dover in MA.

Request your opinion on these schools or suggestions for better ones and also the best place to live in.

Truly appreciate your help.

Thanks much.
Classical is the absolute best public high school in Rhode Island by most standards, but students are subject to an entrance exam. Barrington High is also very good for RI, but may not stand up to top public high schools in MA.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:13 PM

8 posts, read 33,026 times
@Hollytree - Thanks. Google says its just about 50mins commute between Cranston and Quincy - perhaps on good days. :-) Thats fine. Someone suggested to live closeby to one place to reduce commute on either side.. if so, would Providence be good place to live, considering Classical school being here or would Sharon be a good place to live?
Well I know 'good place' is very subjective.. :-) but considering all factors like lively community, safety, kids recreation, etc..
I heard the RI has 2.5% higher tax rate than MA. Is this true too?

@Independentman - Thanks. What's your opinion on Sharon School? It ranks #7 in many website rankings. Would Dover be a good choice? What more can you share about Classical school?

Pls share your suggestions.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:41 PM

23,542 posts, read 18,693,959 times
If you move to Providence and your kids does not test into Classical, then they will be SOL and stuck in one of Providence's other pitiful high schools. I guess there is always private school...

I wouldn't do it.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:24 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,479 times
You may want to check out Michele Meek's The Rhode Island Less Traveled: A Rhode Island Blog. She gives an excellent over view of her family's experiences relocating to Providence that spans over 3 years. Lots of info in this blog about her experiences and impressions of Providence schools from a parent's perspective.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsdesk View Post
@Hollytree - Thanks. Google says its just about 50mins commute between Cranston and Quincy - perhaps on good days. :-) Thats fine. Someone suggested to live closeby to one place to reduce commute on either side.. if so, would Providence be good place to live, considering Classical school being here or would Sharon be a good place to live?
Well I know 'good place' is very subjective.. :-) but considering all factors like lively community, safety, kids recreation, etc..
I heard the RI has 2.5% higher tax rate than MA. Is this true too?

@Independentman - Thanks. What's your opinion on Sharon School? It ranks #7 in many website rankings. Would Dover be a good choice? What more can you share about Classical school?

Pls share your suggestions.
I'm not familiar with Sharon or Dover schools, but if Sharon ranks #7 in MA., it likely outperforms all RI public high schools except maybe Classical. When most public school ranking of the two states are combined, it's rather shocking how meddling the best in RI land.

Comparing MA suburban towns & schools with Providence & Classical is a bit of apples & oranges. Classical High School represents the very best of a diverse small city with a variety of cultures and backgrounds. The MA towns you refer to, and by extension their schools, are fine, but rather vanilla in comparison.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
I'm not familiar with Sharon or Dover schools, but if Sharon ranks #7 in MA., it likely outperforms all RI public high schools except maybe Classical. When most public school ranking of the two states are combined, it's rather shocking how meddling the best in RI land.

Comparing MA suburban towns & schools with Providence & Classical is a bit of apples & oranges. Classical High School represents the very best of a diverse small city with a variety of cultures and backgrounds. The MA towns you refer to, and by extension their schools, are fine, but rather vanilla in comparison.
Good points ^^^.
However, looking for stellar schools in this situation is not going to be productive. Just go for good in a relatively safe low crime district. That's not Classical- school Ok neighborhood dicey. Barrington is going to be inconvenient for your commute. Sharon, Foxboro, Mansfield- all would suit your needs and be close to 95 for your long commute.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Good points ^^^.
However, looking for stellar schools in this situation is not going to be productive. Just go for good in a relatively safe low crime district. That's not Classical- school Ok neighborhood dicey. Barrington is going to be inconvenient for your commute. Sharon, Foxboro, Mansfield- all would suit your needs and be close to 95 for your long commute.
^^^
Good points and not to be argumentative, but by most estimations, Classical HS is better than OK. It ranks amongst the best private or public high schools in Rhode Island. Only the top tested students are accepted on a limited basis. Parents who place a high value on diversity of association, as well as excellent education, prize this rare school - which offers both.

Old 02-25-2017, 01:15 PM

Classical HS is better than OK- however the neighborhood does not meet a lot of people's criteria for safety and many could not care less about diversity. Maybe the OP cares- we don't know.

What I am trying to say is that I wouldn't go nuts on the "best" schools when public schools in most of the recommended cities are going to be fine. That's my personal opinion based on the commuting problem the OP has already set up.

Another possibility that comes to mind is Lincoln, RI. Might not add too much to the commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island