Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 05:54 AM

156 posts, read 164,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
RI property taxes, car insurance, homeowner's insurance, are high.

Result: RI rents are high; no fix in sight. RI residents support the welfare carousel.
Could contribute to what I witnessed when I was there. I saw a lot of rundown apartments almost comparable to what you see in jersey. ( not that bad though)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 05:55 AM

9,244 posts, read 14,802,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
RI property taxes, car insurance, homeowner's insurance, are high.

Result: RI rents are high; no fix in sight. RI residents support the welfare carousel.
The "fix" is that rents are higher and the computer system that pays payments is out of commission. Once the message is out, your "welfare carousel" will ride on to Maine and North Carolina and/or back to NJ.

Who's moving here? Professionals from out of state and artists attracted to the artistic incentives. Demand and supply. It's easy to see it happening when you live here.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:07 AM

156 posts, read 164,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Such a broad negative statement is inaccurate. Both Fall River & New Bedford clearly have comparatively large low income populations. But, not so, compared to other similar sized Massachusetts cities. It's unfair to compare them to cities which act as suburbs of Boston or Providence.

Both cities have lovely neighborhoods which are home to middle & upper middle income residents, not unlike the much larger Providence's East Side. The greater difference is neither smaller city is the state capital and neither contain PVD's significant private higher educational institutions or hospital complexes.
Broad and negative...maybe. The truth? Not far from it as you proposed.fall river and New Bedford consistently rank high in crimes for mid size cities which is not normal by any means. Providence is not anywhere near the ratio of crime that those mass cities have.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:24 AM

23,193 posts, read 18,339,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyDevil679 View Post
Broad and negative...maybe. The truth? Not far from it as you proposed.fall river and New Bedford consistently rank high in crimes for mid size cities which is not normal by any means. Providence is not anywhere near the ratio of crime that those mass cities have.
Providence shows latest C-D crime index as 349. Fall River is 395 and New Bedford 516. So you can't really say Providence is "not anywhere near" at least against Fall River. Both the latter cities interestingly have lower poverty rates.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:28 AM

23,193 posts, read 18,339,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Such a broad negative statement is inaccurate. Both Fall River & New Bedford clearly have comparatively large low income populations. But, not so, compared to other similar sized Massachusetts cities. It's unfair to compare them to cities which act as suburbs of Boston or Providence.
Not so compared to what other similarly sized cities?

Brockton, Lowell and Worcester are roughly the same.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:00 AM

7,938 posts, read 4,594,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Not so compared to what other similarly sized cities?

Brockton, Lowell and Worcester are roughly the same.
Lawrence, Lowell, Springfield, Holyoke & Chelsea

Old 03-21-2017, 10:33 AM

9,244 posts, read 14,802,954 times
Wow, this has gotten really far away from a historic house tour announcement.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:35 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,160,635 times
I can't find it right now, but I swear we had the exact same thread after a historic house tour announcement a year or two or three ago.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:02 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,657,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Providence shows latest C-D crime index as 349. Fall River is 395 and New Bedford 516. So you can't really say Providence is "not anywhere near" at least against Fall River. Both the latter cities interestingly have lower poverty rates.
Thank you. Just as with all other things RI, the rose-colored glasses extend to Providence. Providence has assets as a small city that few others can match, but that hasn't kept RI from endlessly and continuously driving it into "Hartford-dom" since at least 1970. The entire focus of development in Providence has been focused on the East Side and Downtown for many, many, many, many (I could keep going) decades, ultimately arriving at the incredibly sorry state that South Providence, Elmwood, Olneyville, Union Park, Chalkstone, Smith Hill ... my hands are getting tired, so I'll end it there ... are in. Providence is the ultimate US version of a Potemkin Village. It has so much that could be developed and nurtured, but simply isn't. To paraphrase our President, "Bad, really bad!"

Old 03-27-2017, 11:02 AM

3,609 posts, read 2,615,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
I can't find it right now, but I swear we had the exact same thread after a historic house tour announcement a year or two or three ago.
Close, if we are thinking of the same thread. I think you are remembering this thread about a walking tour--not house tour--in Elmwood:

ELMWOOD neighborhood free walking tour

The similarity is posters with outdated and inaccurate perspectives slamming the neighborhood, for reasons unknown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island