Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2017, 08:51 AM

8,408 posts, read 4,462,190 times

Advertisements

RI has the third highest percentage of residents claiming Irish ancestry per 2015 census estimate figures. More Rhode islanders claim Irish ancestry (18.5%) than any other ethnicity as it slightly edges Italian (16.4%).

32.7 million or 10.2%
The number and percentage of U.S. residents who claimed Irish ancestry in 2015. This number was more than seven times the population of Ireland itself (4.6 million). Irish was the nation’s second-most frequently reported European ancestry, trailing German.

Percentage of the state population that claimed Irish ancestry per 2015 Census Estimate figures:

MA 21.2
NH 20.6
RI 18.5

https://www.census.gov/content/dam/C.../cb17-ff05.pdf

https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...xhtml?src=bkmk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 07:51 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,137,152 times
I'll say this: It wasn't until I moved to Rhode Island that I learned the Irish and the Italians hate each other.

That New Hampshire percentage surprises me -- I was not aware of that at all.

Old 03-17-2017, 05:08 AM

3,596 posts, read 2,610,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
I'll say this: It wasn't until I moved to Rhode Island that I learned the Irish and the Italians hate each other.
Jeepers! boulevardofdef, you are clearly one of the best posters on this moribund forum (meant to be a sincere, not back-handed, compliment). But do you really believe that?

The notion that any one particular ethnic group thinks and acts monolithically is laughable. Perhaps that is sarcasm?

Old 03-18-2017, 06:25 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,137,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Jeepers! boulevardofdef, you are clearly one of the best posters on this moribund forum (meant to be a sincere, not back-handed, compliment). But do you really believe that?

The notion that any one particular ethnic group thinks and acts monolithically is laughable. Perhaps that is sarcasm?
It was meant to be somewhat flip -- obviously there are enough half-Irish-half-Italian people in the world (I personally know more than a few) to prove they're getting on pretty well -- but since moving here, I've had Italians tell me they don't like the Irish and vice versa. And I'd never heard that before, despite growing up in an area that was very Italian and a little Irish. I personally am neither, so I don't take sides -- but one of the Italians tried to get me to join his team by selling me on the fact that the ethnic group I do belong to has a lot in common with his.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:35 AM

10,190 posts, read 6,248,092 times
Quote:
It was meant to be somewhat flip -- obviously there are enough half-Irish-half-Italian people in the world (I personally know more than a few) to prove they're getting on pretty well -- but since moving here, I've had Italians tell me they don't like the Irish and vice versa. And I'd never heard that before, despite growing up in an area that was very Italian and a little Irish. I personally am neither, so I don't take sides -- but one of the Italians tried to get me to join his team by selling me on the fact that the ethnic group I do belong to has a lot in common with his.
Not all the time in mixed families. It came out in times of stress. The digs and slurs would go back and forth. I remember as a kid back in the 50's living in an Irish and Italian neighborhood, I would be asked to CHOOSE which I was; Irish or Italian. No, I am not choosing because I cannot. I am half Irish and half Italian. Best of both I would say.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:50 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,074,869 times
Quote:
Where on earth did you get this info ??? My late mother was 100% Italian and my late father 100% Irish, and when they met my paternal grandparents were deceased and my maternal grandparents who born in Italy were both living as was my mother's grandparents and my gran father's mother. All of them and the rest of my very large Italian family absolutely loved my father and he felt the same way towards them.

My husband is also 1/2 Irish and 1/2 Italian but the opposite with his late mother 100% Irish and father 100% Italian. His Italian grandparents also very much loved his Irish mother and thought of her more like a daughter especially when she stepped up to the plate when their own daughter would not and cared for them until they passed.

I am sure there are small factions of both nationalities that had hatred towards the other, but to make a general statement that R.I. Italians and Irish hate each other is far from the truth because if it was I and my husband would not be here !!!

Old 03-24-2017, 10:07 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,041,287 times
there is a big difference between Boston Irish and Providence Irish. Boston Irish are constantly being infused with Irish illegals. Few of those with expired Green cards make it to Providence. At a Boston Pub you are more likely to hear "Come out you black and Tan" as opposed to a Providence Pub with "O Danny Boy". Celtic music in Boston is not about that Celtics'. Outside of Patrick's and Adian's there are few venues, where you can get a drink, and listen to traditional Irish music in the Providence area. The Irish were the first ethnic group to move to the suburbs. St. Michael's, St. Patrick's, Assumption Church, Holy Ghost and others suffered for their movement from Providence. Washington Park, the West End, South Providence, upper Elmwood, Camp Street, Smith Hill, etc were all more than half Irish. Pawtucket was probably 50% Irish even into the late 50's and early 60's. The affluent Irish moved to Barrington, Narragansett, Lincoln. Others moved to North Providence, Warwick, Cranston and Scituate. The yearly Providence St. Patrick's Parade is but a shadow of itself. On the other hand, Newport Irish still means a lot! I should point out that when the Providence City Charter no longer mandated city servants to live in Providence the flood gates were opened.

Old 03-25-2017, 01:13 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,946,174 times
Quote:

That New Hampshire percentage surprises me -- I was not aware of that at all.
The New Hampshire folks.. moved from MA to escape taxes.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:20 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,701,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
there is a big difference between Boston Irish and Providence Irish. Boston Irish are constantly being infused with Irish illegals. Few of those with expired Green cards make it to Providence. At a Boston Pub you are more likely to hear "Come out you black and Tan" as opposed to a Providence Pub with "O Danny Boy". Celtic music in Boston is not about that Celtics'. Outside of Patrick's and Adian's there are few venues, where you can get a drink, and listen to traditional Irish music in the Providence area. The Irish were the first ethnic group to move to the suburbs. St. Michael's, St. Patrick's, Assumption Church, Holy Ghost and others suffered for their movement from Providence. Washington Park, the West End, South Providence, upper Elmwood, Camp Street, Smith Hill, etc were all more than half Irish. Pawtucket was probably 50% Irish even into the late 50's and early 60's. The affluent Irish moved to Barrington, Narragansett, Lincoln. Others moved to North Providence, Warwick, Cranston and Scituate. The yearly Providence St. Patrick's Parade is but a shadow of itself. On the other hand, Newport Irish still means a lot! I should point out that when the Providence City Charter no longer mandated city servants to live in Providence the flood gates were opened.
Huh?

Most Irish-Americans living in and around Boston *AND* Providence are descended from Famine-era immigrants who immigrated to America between 1846 and 1851. Ditto the rest of America.

I.e., our great-great-grandparents were born in America.

I don't know about you, but that's hardly what I would call "Irish" by any stretch of the imagination. Really more "American" than anything.

Growing up in Rhode Island, I don't recall the handful of Irish immigrants I knew personally to marry fourth- or fifth-generation Irish-Americans; they seemed to marry people from other ethnic backgrounds, but mostly Italian, French or Polish.

Even back in the 1840's, 50's, 60's and 70's, Irish-Americans tended to marry other Irish-Americans whereas Irish immigrants tended to marry other Irish immigrants. I've spent years studying New England census reports from the 19th century.

And you may not realize this, but before Irish people heavily populated the City of Providence, they lived in mill towns all over the state. That part of the narrative is often forgotten or overlooked.

One of the first concentrations of wealthy Irish-Americans in Rhode Island was the neighborhood between the Pawtucket Country Club and the state line. Surprisingly, that area is still very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island