Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2017, 12:40 AM

914 posts, read 2,917,850 times

Advertisements

I know there are probably dozens of threads on this topic, but this is a unique situation as my daughter has been offered a job in Newport for the summer, but she has never been there before, doesn't have a place to live and knows no one in RI. I know Newport is touristy and an expensive place to live so she might have to live in a nearby town. She wouldn't have a car so someplace that would have public transportation to and from Newport would be important. Someone mentioned Middletown to me and I just wondered how far that is from Newport and would it be feasible. Obviously, as a mom I'm also concerned about safety.

Any suggestions or advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 04:37 AM

8,056 posts, read 4,684,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
I know there are probably dozens of threads on this topic, but this is a unique situation as my daughter has been offered a job in Newport for the summer, but she has never been there before, doesn't have a place to live and knows no one in RI. I know Newport is touristy and an expensive place to live so she might have to live in a nearby town. She wouldn't have a car so someplace that would have public transportation to and from Newport would be important. Someone mentioned Middletown to me and I just wondered how far that is from Newport and would it be feasible. Obviously, as a mom I'm also concerned about safety.

Any suggestions or advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Your daughter will love her summer in Newport! It's a special place and the surrounding towns are relatively safe. However, unless she lives in Newport, she won't be crazy about using public transportation to get around. Check the bus routes from Middletown & Portsmouth. Busing it back & forth everyday from those two towns will likely not be a pleasant experience. Nearby Jamestown, would be nearly as expensive as Newport with little to no public transportation.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:25 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
It's a tough situation. Newport rents often run Sept to May and then for the summer when the rates double and triple. Your daughter would have the most luck responding to some roommate situations, like 3-4 girls all going in together. I agree with Independentman- nearby towns without a car won't really help. Look at Rhode Island Craigslist>housing>rooms and shares. Something like a bedroom for rent: https://providence.craigslist.org/roo/6056156664.html
although note that this still may not be walking distance to her job. I think Newport operates tourist trollies in the summer.

Has she spoken with her employer? Perhaps a room with someone they know maybe?

Last edited by Hollytree; 04-08-2017 at 06:33 AM..

Old 04-08-2017, 07:59 AM

8,493 posts, read 4,552,009 times
My sister worked one summer in Newport as a college student. She rented an apartment with a large group of friends and lived on Spring Street one block up from Thames. Many college age kids flock to Newport for summer jobs in the service industries. They pool together to rent as costs to do so on your own are prohibitive. I would suggest that your daughter check into postings looking for an extra roommate. It would be far cheaper and would immediately mean she would meet people her own age.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:04 PM

914 posts, read 2,917,850 times
Thanks for your helpful responses. I've passed on the info to my daughter, who also appreciates the advice. It's hard to do these things when you live so far away (California). We have friends in CT and upstate NY, but we don't know anyone in RI. However, my eldest daughter lived in Vermont for a few years and vacationed in Newport and loved it. Of all the places she's visited over the years, she liked RI the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island