Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 10:35 AM

156 posts, read 438,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsdesk View Post
Engaging discussion.. thanks to all.
I have been hearing similar conflicting comments - favoring either sides - from my friends circle as well, ofcourse they don't live in RI or MA.. hence reached out to this forum.

Since the income structure in RI is slab based, it is high for higher slabs whereas MI has a flat structure. But there are more towns in MA whose home tax structures are relatively higher than in RI.

So I get that if you get your wages in MA but live in RI - that is the ideal scenario. Hope I got it right.
That is right. Your money goes further in RI than MA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 10:36 AM

23,554 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:

So I get that if you get your wages in MA but live in RI - that is the ideal scenario. Hope I got it right.
Not at all. Whatever you save on income tax to RI, you will owe the difference to MA. Like I said before, property taxes, auto taxes and auto insurance can be MUCH higher in RI depending on which community you are in. I believe Providence is the most expensive place to own a vehicle, Pawtucket just behind. What you may save on mortgage or rent, could easily be lost to higher everything else (and at the end of the day be stuck with a property worth less). Then you have to worry about future values.

Just do your homework PLEASE before moving, and run ALL the numbers.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetoid View Post
Thanks for weighing in Mr. Jenkins. I did see the referenced study and I'm more than happy to enter it into evidence. I'd argue that although your wages might purchase marginally more here, with one of the highest tax burdens in the country you'll have relatively much less LEFT of said wages to purchase with. I think much more germane to the discussion is what we receive for our TAX dollars. Deteriorating roads, crumbling bridges and underperforming schools. The question that you should ask of YOURSELF, is where on God's green earth do my tax dollars go? Pay more, get less!
Yes, let's look at Wallet Hub and compare tax burdens between RI and MA. RI does indeed come in at $7,367 yearly tax burden vs. only $6,253 for MA. So that's about an extra $1,100 a year in taxes if you live in RI vs. MA. Now let's look at what $100,000 of income would buy you in rent, goods and services in each state. In RI it would be about $101,000 vs the national average. In MA in would be about $93,000. So the RI household would be up about $8,000 a year in what their money was worth vs. MA. That well more than makes up for the extra $1,100 paid in taxes for the RI resident. A clear monetary surplus in fact.

However, as for the quality of the infrastructure in RI and school rankings I agree, Massachusetts is superior.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:40 AM

325 posts, read 311,619 times
Quote:
Friends,
I did some checking on several tax comparison sites, to determine if living in MA cost me less than living in RI.

MA has a flat Income tax of 5.3% while RI has a slab structure up to 6%.
Sales tax and House taxes are also higher in RI.

While these websites could be indicative, would like to know from residents of RI if you are paying higher taxes (be it whatever type of tax), considering your net income per year, do you think living in RI is relatively expensive than living in MA?

Thanks.
Listen to massnative, he makes sense. Do NOT listen to Jenkins, he does not. His one argument is both simplistic and specious. RI residence property taxes are among the highest in the country. Auto insurance costs are among the highest in the country. Auto property taxes are THE highest in the country. Rhode Island has never left any revenue stone unturned. And you'll have to trust me on this, but you'll eventually wonder where in hell does the money go? The state in general and many of it's large cities are on very precarious financial footing. History has shown that your taxes here will spiral only upward. The state's population is stagnant, 2nd from the bottom in the country edging out only Michigan. Job creation is dismal. An uninformed and apathetic electorate has created a recipe for fiscal disaster. Do you want to own a home here when the bottom falls out?

Old 05-06-2017, 11:56 AM

Yes, do not listen to Jenkins. He refers to 3rd party sources and statistics.

Old 05-06-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkins86 View Post
Yes, let's look at Wallet Hub and compare tax burdens between RI and MA. RI does indeed come in at $7,367 yearly tax burden vs. only $6,253 for MA. So that's about an extra $1,100 a year in taxes if you live in RI vs. MA. Now let's look at what $100,000 of income would buy you in rent, goods and services in each state. In RI it would be about $101,000 vs the national average. In MA in would be about $93,000. So the RI household would be up about $8,000 a year in what their money was worth vs. MA. That well more than makes up for the extra $1,100 paid in taxes for the RI resident. A clear monetary surplus in fact.

However, as for the quality of the infrastructure in RI and school rankings I agree, Massachusetts is superior.
You forgot to account for wage disparity. To review quickly: Rhode Island has the 8th highest tax burden in the country with infrastructure ranked 50th and schools ranked 28th. This is known as getting the government that one deserves.

Old 05-06-2017, 12:10 PM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetoid View Post
This is known as getting the government that one deserves.
Um, aren't you a resident also?

If so, why have you not moved?

If not, why are you bothering to continue in this vein?

Old 05-06-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Um, aren't you a resident also?

If so, why have you not moved?

If not, why are you bothering to continue in this vein?
Welcome to the discussion Miss Hollytree, always a pleasure! I was rather hoping though, that you might add an opinion more germane to the subject at hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island