Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 07:43 PM

23,058 posts, read 18,187,880 times

Advertisements

Take this Rhode Island!

Maine coffee milk company rockets across New England | Urban Eye

Haven't had it yet, but it sounds like it can hold a candle to Autocrat.

I wonder how we would do on frozen lemonade? Hmmm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 09:41 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,036,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Take this Rhode Island!

Rhode Island coffee milk and this Maine item are two different creatures. One is coffee milk for all ages, the other is a power drink with expresso going up against Starbucks or other extra caffeine drinks. I would never think of giving the Maine item to a child.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
Rhode Island coffee milk and this Maine item are two different creatures. One is coffee milk for all ages, the other is a power drink with expresso going up against Starbucks or other extra caffeine drinks. I would never think of giving the Maine item to a child.
It's made with a syrup just like regular coffee milk, which yes is made with real espresso. Of course they are totally different animals. I doubt if even I would drink one full bottle of those myself, save for those rare occasions like being on the road all night. But realistically I would probably settle for a dark roast coffee myself.

Old 05-27-2017, 01:44 AM

4,198 posts, read 3,083,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Take this Rhode Island!

I prefer Dave's to Autocratic.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:55 PM

24,503 posts, read 17,956,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
I prefer Dave's to Autocratic.
I prefer 4 or 5 scoops of coffee ice cream in mine. At that point, the syrup brand is less important.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:05 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,410,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I prefer 4 or 5 scoops of coffee ice cream in mine. At that point, the syrup brand is less important.

That's a famous RI "coffee cabinet". a/k/a 'cawfee cabnit'

Old 05-30-2017, 07:14 PM

Do the still carry the CoffeeTime in RI? Haven't seen the stuff in ages, it was pretty good...

Old 05-31-2017, 09:23 AM

24,503 posts, read 17,956,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
That's a famous RI "coffee cabinet". a/k/a 'cawfee cabnit'
Frappe, cabinet. Whatever. I'll take mine with coffee syrup and coffee ice cream. Maybe spoon in some malt once in a while. The rest of the country is baffled when they order a milkshake in this part of the world and it's milk & syrup with no ice cream.

Just don't hand me an Awful Awful or a Fribble. I'm not a big fan of the ice milk variant. I want angioplasty in a 12 oz soda fountain glass with the 30 oz stainless steel mixing cup sitting next to it. Does anybody still do that? That was the classic drugstore soda fountain treat in the 1960's.

In the obscure history of coffee syrup, Silmo in New Bedford pre-dated Autocrat. That factory is now a Portuguese restaurant called Inner Bay at the hurricane d.i.k.e on Cove Road. There's a Dartmouth, Ma boutique coffee syrup company called Morning Glory Farms that uses cane sugar instead of HFCS like Autocrat. That with Ben & Jerry's "Coffee, Coffee BuzzBuzzBuzz" and some half & half for the win.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:03 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,410,701 times
As I recall there are very few places in the country where coffee ice cream can be purchased. At one time coffee flavoring was only a RI thing; and we were just about brought up on it.

(Going back many years, an uncle of my grandmother's started and owned Eclipse Coffee until he passed and the family sold to Autocrat I believe.) Maybe that huge sign that loomed over Rt. 95 is in some collector's garage, along with some of the original bottles.

What year did you graduate from Tolman GeoffD?

Old 05-31-2017, 03:58 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,036,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
As I recall there are very few places in the country where coffee ice cream can be purchased. At one time coffee flavoring was only a RI thing; and we were just about brought up on it.

(Going back many years, an uncle of my grandmother's started and owned Eclipse Coffee until he passed and the family sold to Autocrat I believe.) Maybe that huge sign that loomed over Rt. 95 is in some collector's garage, along with some of the original bottles.

What year did you graduate from Tolman GeoffD?
coffee ice cream is now everywhere but it is considered an exotic flavor. Baskin has it 2-4 months out of the year everywhere. My favorites are at Ice Cream Machine in Cumberland and Bogie's in Thompson, Ct. Hood also has good coffee ice cream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island