Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 06:58 AM

8,065 posts, read 4,684,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Would anyone care to address this issue from an aesthetic point of view in terms of city planning?

Even if a tower of luxury condos would fill up, I'm sure a 60 or a 100 story section unit of Section 8 would fill up much faster.
City planning is not just about money.

The issue to me, is to get buildings that fit into the historic fabric of downtown, don't spoil views of those already established there, address the unique nature of our city, don't cut off our waterfront, and which don't turn us into a generic downtown of skyscrapers. Look at Hartford for example. A once proud and vibrant downtown- now a virtual ghost town. Look at the history of the Fall River waterfront after they built the enormous waterfront units. They did not do themselves any favors. And let's not forget that Benefit Street- one of our most famous tourist draws- was once slated to be torn down and replaced by a string of high rises. Had that come to pass, it would have destroyed the city forever.
All very good points. PVD like other American cities, once had a thriving business/manufacturing economy which allowed for the construction of a magnificent downtown core. However, now that economy is long gone, but the downtown remains. One of the questions is, what to do with developers like Fain who can't re-use the aesthetically pleasing existing structures, but want to build in PVD nevertheless? How long do you wait for the white knights who may come along & fulfill the planners dreams?

City planning is a lot about money. About attracting money. What would Fall River be today without the waterfront condos? Probably the same, except no river front condos and the tax revenue they bring in. Beautiful Benefit Street speaks to avoiding the tragic folly of demolishing historic buildings. Mr. Fain, the tower developer, isn't proposing such a tragic demolition. If he can't build his tower on a vacant parcel, he's going to walk, not instead renovate the Superman building or any other downtown building. Unfortunately, Either/Or is not our choice.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:04 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,121,777 times
Quote:
Would anyone care to address this issue from an aesthetic point of view in terms of city planning?

Even if a tower of luxury condos would fill up, I'm sure a 60 or a 100 story section unit of Section 8 would fill up much faster.

The issue to me, is to get buildings that fit into the historic fabric of downtown, don't spoil views of those already established there, address the unique nature of our city, don't cut off our waterfront, and which don't turn us into a generic downtown of skyscrapers. Look at Hartford for example. A once proud and vibrant downtown- now a virtual ghost town. Look at the history of the Fall River waterfront after they built the enormous waterfront units. They did not do themselves any favors. And let's not forget that Benefit Street- one of our most famous tourist draws- was once slated to be torn down and replaced by a string of high rises. Had that come to pass, it would have destroyed the city forever.
What do Hartford and Fall River's buildings have to do with their declines? As someone who is debating whether to live in MA or RI, the shape of the skyline is not even on my radar.

Old 07-29-2017, 02:46 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,054,234 times
Quote:

Holly, I agree with most of what you say but high rises can compliment what already exists. Not everyone wants to move into rehabbed property. They do not want to be in the 4-6 story buildings along the main streets of downtown, but people do want to live downtown which is more expansive with the new I-195 space. You point out Hartford which becomes a ghost town after 5 pm, well that city has its own issues, but New Haven has been able to add high rises to their downtown core and they have done it well. A high rise allows density and also that park space you want. While 3 high rises might have been overkill I think 1 would fit well. The Industrial National Bank building as iconic as it is, is now on the endangered list. Think though how proud the city residents were when that was built as a symbol of Providence's success. I think it is time to replace that 90 old symbol with a new one reflecting the 21st century. The fact that people want to live downtown is amazing and something I thought I would never see. While Benefit Street is a tourist draw as a living museum, don't forget they are now priced in the 5 figures for ownership. Downtown condos and apts suddenly become much more affordable.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:08 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,180,198 times
FIVE figures? Where? The least expensive condo on Benefit Street on Zillow is a 1 bed, 1 bath for $250k. There are no single family houses listed, but up the hill on Prospect or Congdon they start at $1.2 million.

Old 07-30-2017, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
FIVE figures? Where? The least expensive condo on Benefit Street on Zillow is a 1 bed, 1 bath for $250k. There are no single family houses listed, but up the hill on Prospect or Congdon they start at $1.2 million.
Single family houses on Benefit Street are very desirable and if the kitchen/baths are updated sell for $600k up. A condo would have to be very small with limited/no outdoor space to sell for only $250k.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:40 AM

9,285 posts, read 14,892,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
What do Hartford and Fall River's buildings have to do with their declines? As someone who is debating whether to live in MA or RI, the shape of the skyline is not even on my radar.
No doubt this is true for some. It doesn't mean we should ruin our city for those who don't care about aesthetics.

No doubt you could get a cheaper place in Fall River.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:46 AM

Default Fane Tower gets crucial committee approval

This important committee green light gives the Fane tower a fighting chance to win full council & mayoral approval.

GoLocalProv | Fane Tower Gets Big Approval As Ordinance Committee Reverses Vote

Old 11-09-2018, 07:44 AM

9,285 posts, read 14,892,417 times
Hugely disappointing.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Hugely disappointing.
Surprisingly, I now understand the votes are there in the full council to approve it.

Old 11-09-2018, 11:00 AM

684 posts, read 833,423 times
Fantastic! Great Building, bringing life to a long dead sterile part of town and hopefully a catalyst to help our great little city mature into the strong healthy urban core it deserves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island