Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 11:47 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
You do have a point there. I'm not sure all that would have saved them, but there are I guess things they could have done to keep fresh. But when it comes down to it, a smaller store like Benny's will never be able to go head to head with the big players on pricing of these generic type items. What they do offer is a level of customer service and convenience that people unfortunately are not willing to pay that extra 5% for anymore, even if they are really spending it anyway by driving the extra miles to the big boxes.
I agree that they'd never be able to go head to head which is why they shouldn't try to do that. What they should have done is try a little more than relying on nostalgia/loyalty alone. eCommerce would allow them to reach Benny's loyalist who are not longer in the region (and there are a ton, considering the demographics). Partnering with local craftsman, artisans, and businesses could have helped set them apart too. Because of their small size they could also offer better customer support in the form of a warm line (not answering service or vast menu of options), video chat and online chat.

The thing about their customer service is it wasn't really that special. Better than walmart? Sure, but so is everyone else. It never really stood out to me as anything special. They had some relatively unique items and a nostalgic feel. Plus they were local. They needed more than that. It doesn't seem like the owners were too eager to change anything either. I'd start placing the blame on them.

Quote:
Depending on what it is we are speaking of, I will absolutely pay an extra 5-10% to support a business I like (or avoid a business I don't). Using your food vendor example; a restaurant could offer the best food in town at the best price but if their service is poor enough, they are all finished.

I might not be normal, but I know there are many others who share the same habits. Even you, say you avoid Walmart at all costs. I assume that comes at a cost to you from time to time.
I will too in some cases (i.e. Walmart- I'll pay more even to go to Target for the same thing). I think everyone will to an extent. But I still don't think it's smart for a business to bank on people's willingness to pay extra. And if they are going to take that approach, they better make sure that what they offer is significantly above and beyond what the others have. Benny's just didn't offer all that much more of a better experience to me (and apparently many other people).

Quote:
Right. Times change. Some sink. Some swim. My point still stands though, that losing these stores comes at a certain loss. Having new breweries and artisan clothing boutiques doesn't help you when you need new windshield wipers right NOW. Or when I want to try on a new pair of Levi's to see which has the best fit... I'm not getting angry at anybody, I realize this kind of change is inevitable. But it often seems those who complain the loudest (or blame businesses for going under), are the worst offenders when it comes to taking advantage of the free services they offer and become suddenly surprised when it's no longer available. I accept change, but I'll call it like I see it. "Progress" usually comes with a loss as well.
I agree that losing a business hurts. Not only do you lose availability of certain products, but simply having another vacant building or storefront makes the area that much less attractive to shoppers and potential businesses.

That being said, there's always an equilibrium. Items, like wipers, that are often needed immediately will always have a place in brick and mortar stores. You'll always be able to find them locally. And I don't know about the trying clothes on then ordering them online example. I don't agree with the practice of doing that, but I wonder how often it happens. For starters, most stores (like Macy's) have price match policies. I take advantage of them all the time (try browsing Newegg before going to Best Buy- you'll almost always sve). So someone trying on pants in Macy's can walk up to the register, show them the link on Amazon (or wherever) that has the pants for cheaper, Macy's will match it and the customer can walk out of the store with the pants that day. It's uniformed consumerism to not take advantage of it. If you have pets, do this with petco, petsmart and others. It really makes a different.

Quote:
It is very different. When you are hungry, you can't get that artisan sandwich on "Prime". My grandfather would always invest in supermarkets because "people always need to eat". Sure, those trend change as well. You get home delivery like Peapod, and the wholesale clubs...but people will always be buying groceries locally at least for as long as I can see. When you talk about business adapting, there is a reason why Walmart has been adding more groceries to their stores while squeezing out other inventory.
I don't buy groceries online either. Frankly, I never will. Even WSWYG sites can't replicate the experience of picking out food in person. I want to see my meets, cheeses, and produce in person and feel them. I don't want to risk buying potentially damaged or expired packaged goods either. So it's not an option for me, and there will always be demand for markets/grocery stores.

But quick serve food is changing and becoming more entwined with retail. Cumby's changed their entire concept to embrace this. They all have counters where you can order sandwiches, pizzas, etc. on the spot. They have coffee sections to compete with Dunkin Donuts. Local bookstores are incorporating cafes to make up for the dropoff in book sales and bring in new customers. It's been so successful that Barne's and Noble is doing it too (with Starbucks). Even banks are doing this (CapitalOne 360). Gas stations in rural areas have always offered delis and pizza (I loved that about Maine), but you're seeing more of this in surburban and urban areas. Local markets are expanding quick-serve and ready to eat sections in many areas because the way people shop for food is changing. Walmart has been including McDonald's, Dunkin, Subway, etc. forever because it brings people into the store (and keeps them there). Over the past few years or so, almost every Target has added a starbucks (in addition to their cafe sections). More and more, gas stations are coming online with Dunkin, Marylou's (locally), or some other quick serve food contingent inside.

Quote:
Many of these mom and pops and local chains were holding their own against the big boxes (they served different needs), while the onset of online shopping is what really did them in. 20 years ago DT Attleboro had 2 independent hardware stores, a clothing store still, a furniture store, a local sporting goods place (now, all gone)...the Emerald Square Mall had been there a decade, Walmart and other big boxes had been on Rte. 1 a good while. They seemed to be co-existing fine until Amazon, etc. came along.
I'm not arguing that Amazon didn't hurt a lot of them. But I think changing demographics and shopping styles played at least an eually significant role as well. Most cities like Attleboro had been on the decline for a while, or at least evolving from independent urban center to suburban commuter hub. They also don't have the socioeconomic demographics to support many of those smaller businesses. It's really hard to pin it squarely on Amazon and online retail in places like Attleboro as there are so many other factors. The counter example would be New Bedford where the Dartmouth mall is as lively as its been in decades (contrast to nearby Silver City or Swansea), and downtown New Bedford has fewer vacant storefronts than it has had in decades in spite of the rise of online shopping and proliferation of bigger box stores. New Bedford is more disconnected from major metros (where as Attleboro is becoming more absorbed into Boston/Providence) and is emerging as the urban/retail hub of the South Coast. Attleboro is becoming a part of the greater Boston/Providence area. More of a bedroom community and people are shopping/dining elsewhere.

Quote:
Most Benny's are neighborhood type stores. Stores like Central Ave. on the Seekonk, Pawtucket line that are surrounded by residential areas. There is/was a "Main St." store in Middleboro. Now all those people will have to drive WAY out of there way to the big boxes for many of those goods. That is one thing I see as unfortunate.
True. My Benny's was on Route 44 in Taunton, so that's what I was basing that on. You're right though that Benny's were neighborhood stores. Hopefully we'll see something come up in their place if there's a market for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 04:46 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,534,081 times
Most Ace Hardware stores are excellent in every department; and the chain (has private owners) seems to be growing by leaps and bounds. They have great programs for their owner/managers, stores are clean and well stocked. Their private brand paint is excellent also. Their coupons and mailers are also well timed and have good buys. And that is my opinion from experience with stores in RI, MA, FL, and NC.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:52 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
I shop at Benny's all the time. It's 1/2 mile from my summer house. It saves me from having to drive to the big box stores around Mall Hell. Ace Hardware is a similar distance and has maybe 2/3 overlap with the things I tend to buy at Benny's so it's not a complete disaster. I'll be interested to see who occupies the vacant space.

Old 10-07-2017, 06:36 AM

837 posts, read 1,225,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Most Ace Hardware stores are excellent in every department; and the chain (has private owners) seems to be growing by leaps and bounds. They have great programs for their owner/managers, stores are clean and well stocked. Their private brand paint is excellent also. Their coupons and mailers are also well timed and have good buys. And that is my opinion from experience with stores in RI, MA, FL, and NC.
See, this is a good example of how Benny's could've revamped itself. They might've been the kings of general merchandise decades ago, but their hardware/auto sections were their calling card.

Benny's was a throwback to my childhood summers. My parents always bought annual collection of water/pool toys there. The last one I was in (Plymouth, Rte 3A) back a couple of years ago was bittersweet. Lots of bare spots on the shelves. I think we were the only customers. It looked very bleak compared to how I remembered it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island