Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 08:59 PM

325 posts, read 311,829 times

Advertisements

And a city can never have too many parks and greenspaces. You folks are right about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 05:43 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetoid View Post
It amazes me that you continue to frame this discussion in terms of architecture, it just isn't that important. And moreover, Providence is in no position to be the least bit choosy.
You seem to be largely alone in your opinion. However, none of us are strangers to the Boston meme that Providence is an inferior city. NYC does the same thing to Boston.

I find "any building is a good building" to be a horrifying concept.

I think we have a tremendous opportunity to be choosy and to steer Providence in the right direction.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:49 AM

12,868 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
You seem to be largely alone in your opinion. However, none of us are strangers to the Boston meme that Providence is an inferior city. NYC does the same thing to Boston.

I think we have a tremendous opportunity to be choosy and to steer Providence in the right direction.
Exactly. Architecture is important. Scale and design/functionality even more so, and balance (urban/public spaces) are most important.

200,000 square feet is great if it's in a multi-story building right up against the sidewalk with pedestrian friendly retail along the street wall. It's not great if it's a 1 story box (think Walmart Super Center) with a giant parking lot in front. Not all buildings are created equal. A good, dense streetwall full of mixed-use buildings (office, residential, retail, hotel, institutional, community, etc.) off-set by smart, well-placed parks and plazas are what's needed to create a great urban space. Atwells Ave on Federal Hill isn't great simply because of Depasquale Square, or simply because of the dense streetwall full of shops and restaurants. It's great because of the combination and balance.

Boston did a good job with the Greenway, but it's not perfect. There are dead parcels (where buildings should go and eventually will go Parcel 9 by Haymarket for Example), and some are cluttered by highway ramps or are inaccessible (or difficult to access) and the city is trying to figure out what to do with them (they threw a crappy zipline on one this summer and tossed some bad art on its neighbor). So Providence should look at what worked and what didn't in Boston. Green isn't always better. You need to balance it out. The 195 land in PVD has the potential to be better than Boston's Greenway in my opinion.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:34 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,055,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
I could not disagree more. There is a dearth of parks/greenspace in the inner core of Providence, particularly compared with other cities in which I have lived. The greatness of cities is measured, in part, by their public spaces.

7 acres is a block that is a mere 550 feet by 550 feet. Contrast that with the Boston Common, which is 50 acres, or roughly 7 times the size. Boston Public Garden is 24 acres, roughly 3.5 times the size.

And those two parks are adjacent to another in Boston; for those too lazy to do the math, the combination is 10.5 times the size of the park-to-be on the former I-195 land. Enough said.
Hayward Park | Providence Public Library

Providence had a larger park between Broad and Pine until I-95 was put in. It was some 20 acres and was a spot for children, checkers, chess and leisurely walks. Providence chose never to replace it which could have been easily done when the area between Pine and Eddy started to deteriorate. The only added large park has been the Roger Wms National Park and that almost didn't happen because it meant the loss of some 20 19th century structures and early 20th century structures. Smaller parks along Westminster Street have been created and J & W has their campus expanse on Weybosset. Downcity Providence should be looking at adding smaller parks throughout the city rather than a 7 acre expanse. There are many parking lots along each street that should be converted. The former police station property should have had half of the area as a park, especially next to the library. Washington Street desperately needs a park along it. Mini parks should be everywhere. I was very disappointed when the WT Grant building was taken down and we now have a parking lot along Westminster Street. What a great park that would have been between two downcity streets. I am not against parks, just the 7 acres being set aside on the I-195 land.

Yes, a field has been added next to the new railroad station, but to me it remains an indistinct field.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:41 PM

325 posts, read 311,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post

I applaud your tireless cheerleading on behalf of Providence and Rhode Island. All the more admirable given what you've got to work with. So, Chapeau! This is easy stuff though. Economics 101. Rhode Island/Providence cannot continue to be an outlier on the tax front and still expect to grow and prosper. Their product is simply not commensurate. Especially true given their proximity to more prosperous and economically vibrant areas. I'm not giving you much here to disagree with lady. Honestly.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:56 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetoid View Post
I applaud your tireless cheerleading on behalf of Providence and Rhode Island. All the more admirable given what you've got to work with. So, Chapeau! This is easy stuff though. Economics 101. Rhode Island/Providence cannot continue to be an outlier on the tax front and still expect to grow and prosper. Their product is simply not commensurate. Especially true given their proximity to more prosperous and economically vibrant areas. I'm not giving you much here to disagree with lady. Honestly.
I don't think you've been here long enough to see the progress this city has made. We are growing and prospering- too bad you can't see it. Of course there's always room for improvement.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:11 PM

3,793 posts, read 2,696,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
Hayward Park | Providence Public Library

Providence had a larger park between Broad and Pine until I-95 was put in. It was some 20 acres and was a spot for children, checkers, chess and leisurely walks. Providence chose never to replace it which could have been easily done when the area between Pine and Eddy started to deteriorate. The only added large park has been the Roger Wms National Park and that almost didn't happen because it meant the loss of some 20 19th century structures and early 20th century structures. Smaller parks along Westminster Street have been created and J & W has their campus expanse on Weybosset. Downcity Providence should be looking at adding smaller parks throughout the city rather than a 7 acre expanse. There are many parking lots along each street that should be converted. The former police station property should have had half of the area as a park, especially next to the library. Washington Street desperately needs a park along it. Mini parks should be everywhere. I was very disappointed when the WT Grant building was taken down and we now have a parking lot along Westminster Street. What a great park that would have been between two downcity streets. I am not against parks, just the 7 acres being set aside on the I-195 land.

Yes, a field has been added next to the new railroad station, but to me it remains an indistinct field.
Well, with the Hayward Park story, you've proved that lrfox's contention--that you can't take away a park--isn't a hard and fast rule.

I agree with you that we need more small parks sprinkled throughout the city. But I think you're off-base regarding the larger park. First, don't forget that the 7 acres is made up of land on either side of the pedestrian bridge. And don't forget that the Environmental Impact Statement filed for the I-195 project called for "14.7 acres of parks be provided in the abandoned [Right of Way], including 4.5 acres in the 'waterfront district west shore'". You can't put open spaces elsewhere in a quid pro quo for the Feds at this point; that cake was baked long ago.

Regardless, big parks are important parts of great cities, and 7 acres hardly qualifies as big. Of course, we also have to come up with cash to maintain them, something we have historically done incredibly poorly in this city/state.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:58 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,055,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Well, with the Hayward Park story, you've proved that lrfox's contention--that you can't take away a park--isn't a hard and fast rule.

I agree with you that we need more small parks sprinkled throughout the city. But I think you're off-base regarding the larger park. First, don't forget that the 7 acres is made up of land on either side of the pedestrian bridge. And don't forget that the Environmental Impact Statement filed for the I-195 project called for "14.7 acres of parks be provided in the abandoned [Right of Way], including 4.5 acres in the 'waterfront district west shore'". You can't put open spaces elsewhere in a quid pro quo for the Feds at this point; that cake was baked long ago.

Regardless, big parks are important parts of great cities, and 7 acres hardly qualifies as big. Of course, we also have to come up with cash to maintain them, something we have historically done incredibly poorly in this city/state.
I was not aware the scenario was both sides of the river. Unfortunately the quid pro quo factor wasn't in place 60 years ago when discussion of Route 95's route through the city was first proposed. The original route was similar to the now Route 10.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:35 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,183,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
Providence had a larger park between Broad and Pine until I-95 was put in. It was some 20 acres and was a spot for children, checkers, chess and leisurely walks.
Not to minimize its loss, but Hayward Park was about 2.8 acres, not 20.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:05 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,561,677 times
I-195 panel to consider hotel plan

Project would be built on quarter-acre parcel

By Kate Bramson Journal Staff Writer

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ODN/ProJo/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island